Changi Airport no longer world's best airport for the 1st time in 9 years

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

changi-airport.jpg

source: https://mothership.sg/2021/08/changi-airport-no-longer-best-airport-skytrax/

Changi Airport is no longer the world's best airport.

According to Skytrax, this year, Changi Airport placed third, behind Qatar's Hamad International Airport in Doha and Japan's Haneda International Airport.

It had previously held the top spot for eight years, from 2013 to 2020.

Addressing the Covid-19 pandemic was factored into 2021 World Airport Awards

Skytrax further stated that the 2021 World Airport Awards recognised the efforts of airports in meeting the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic.

It said:

"The past 18 months (have) been the most challenging and financially difficult period ever experienced by the world air transport industry, and airports have invested to provide the safest possible environment for their customers and staff during the global pandemic."

In addition, this year also saw a new category of awards called the 2021 Covid-19 Airport Excellence Awards, in which customers rated an airport's Covid-19 measures across key categories such as information signage, the enforcement of masks, availability of hand sanitisers and social distancing efforts ,among others.

However, instead of a ranking, Skytrax listed out 39 airports which had received the award in alphabetical order, including Changi Airport.

Changi Airport clinches award for best airport staff, second place for cleanliness

Another award that Changi Airport won was the World's Best Airport Staff.

It also clinched the award for Best Airport serving 10 to 15 million passengers.

However, it placed second for cleanliness, behind Haneda Airport, and fourth for airport security, behind South Korea's Incheon Airport in Seoul, Zurich Airport and Kansai Airport.

The survey for the awards was carried out from August 2020 to July 2021, with most travellers voting for their favourite pre-pandemic travel experiences, and others voting after their Covid-19 airport experience in the past 12 months.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Aiyo. terminal 5 will help us take back the crown!!!! 😎

China have a new airport opening soon in Chengdu (now partially opened) will stun the whole world airports. Forgot the name but shape like an 'octopus' :ph34r:

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Aiyo. terminal 5 will help us take back the crown!!!! 😎

Terminal 5? Are the construction work still on going?

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
51 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Terminal 5? Are the construction work still on going?

Have the construction worker taken the rapid antigen test? If yes, get back to work! 😁

No.1 need to work one. see lah. become no. 3 liao. 🤣

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
54 minutes ago, Beregond said:

really look like octopus😂

thought they got a bigger 1 that look like a flower or something

I thot it is suppose to look like the God of Sun?

Anyway, I don't care if it is the best airport or not. Each time I go to an airport. I never feel as good in terms of design, cleanliness, user friendly and fast . Each time I land at our airport, I look thru the window and tell myself "I am home liao". And I am a proud Singaporean, now with the bloody gold card sitting in the wallet. Sigh

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

5 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

China have a new airport opening soon in Chengdu (now partially opened) will stun the whole world airports. Forgot the name but shape like an 'octopus' :ph34r:

Nothing great about this Chengdu Airport.

I was at the new Istanbul Airport in late July 2021 and it looks really good. 

Was at the Budapest airport in late June 2021 after watching FRA vs PORT Euro 2020 game and it looks good with alot of natural light too. 

• Praise 1

As usual, AMDK will never vote for China Airports in Top 6....... :lll._.:

Not surprising.

Look at Top 3.  All of it is international hub.

China Airport has very nice infra.  But "software" CMI.

In addition, tightly regulated airspace resulted in choking air traffic.  A lot of flight delays.

The best China Airport is HK.

Going through 100 best airports, I was surprised that Haikou is ranked 29th while Shanghai Pudong is missing.

As usual, AMDK will never vote for China Airports in Top 6....... :lll._.:

How can votes vote for an airport f they are not travelling through them.

The reason Doha came higher is because they've been flying in and out with a higher flight frequency than Changi. If there are no passengers, there are no voters. The reason Chinese airports didn't come up higher despite higher traffic is....... even they didn't vote.☺️

• Praise 3

I wonder if the results is because more local and Asian travellers took part in the survey.

:D

If you had the experience I had what kind of score do you think you should give?

I had very good service at Changi airport, so good that I didn't have to queue.

I was walking to a check in counter in front of my colleague from Korea.

A nice gentleman in a very smart uniform said to my Korean colleague - Sir you don't need to queue and invited him to the first class counter. So I reversed and followed him and said to the nice man, I also don't need to queue as I am with him.

My colleague and I both had the same economy ticket, bought from the same travel agent at the same price so why the preferential treatment for him? Only cos he was from abroad?

We both had business shirts and pants on and both pulling our trolley bags and carrying our laptop bag.

Another case was related to me by my boss. He and a friend (a local) were waiting for the doors to open to disembark the aircraft when his friend started to switch on his handphone and the steward shouted at him - you cannot switch on your phone until you are inside the terminal.

And my boss friend shot back to the steward - why you shout at me and not shout at him, pointing to a Caucasian gentleman who also switched on his handphone at the same time in full view of the steward - is it because I am Chinese?

After this I think they change the announcement after the plane touch down and while everyone is still seated they welcome us home and say you can now switch on your phone even before the plane has come to a full stop.

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement