POFMA or not? eileen loh say 3 year old died of covid19 but not reported on news

StreetFight3r

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

It depends on where u read this and whether u follow it now. We are all aware of this chain right now so it makes chronological sense. 

If u didn't know about this chain of events, months down the road u read the comments etc.

You will form your own impression. Especially if it's piecemeal in the form of social media. If not for POFMA, would the Eileen loh have retracted her claims and instead doubled down? It may sound illogical. But in the US, it's actually  common for these media personalities to do so. Even when called out. 

Pofma is not about months down the road. It is always about taking down something immediately, the argument when the law was done is that time sensitive stuff could cause loss of lives like riot, etc. 
I am always against pofma and that plus the elected presidency fiasco is the two main things that convinced me the government has done things for their benefit at the cost of the nation. 
the pofma is a very draconian law that hurts our nation in the eyes of the world. 

If you want a law that take down something after it is proven to be false, I am totally ok with it. I think many countries have such laws… 

pofma is very different. It allows the government to act first and explain later… 

by keep using pofma when it is not needed just show to me how far the government has dropped.

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Pofma is not about months down the road. It is always about taking down something immediately, the argument when the law was done is that time sensitive stuff could cause loss of lives like riot, etc. 
I am always against pofma and that plus the elected presidency fiasco is the two main things that convinced me the government has done things for their benefit at the cost of the nation. 
the pofma is a very draconian law that hurts our nation in the eyes of the world. 

If you want a law that take down something after it is proven to be false, I am totally ok with it. I think many countries have such laws… 

pofma is very different. It allows the government to act first and explain later… 

by keep using pofma when it is not needed just show to me how far the government has dropped.

Talking about this..

The thing is that for pofma.. okay let's say current government is with very good intention and want to remove fake news for spreading out of hand as fast as possible and nothing else. Okay that's the current government, but then we have to consider the fact that once law is created, it is created not for the current government but for future generations too. What if future government the way of doing things is totally different from current government. Aka use pofma for own agenda how? Once law is created, it is actually quite difficult to take it down if it involved in political issues and for their own agenda.

I know government can change law along the way, but there are certain things that once law is created, it might become a tool for them to use in future even if it is not the intention of the current government.

POFMA  is anything but just a deterrent. As long as you do not have control over a media, there would be always opportunity for "fake news" or until someone highlight that post to the authorities.

Like many things it will not completely solve any problems.

Eg. If bring in how much grams of drugs before you get hang (capital punishment)? Still every few years someone gets caught and hang eventually. Even when life and death is concern still got individuals willing to try.

So how effective is POFMA? A deterrent at most.

Honestly who here with any antivaxxer friends thinks a single one was persuaded by use of pofma. In fact it reinforced their belief that govt bully and cover up all protests

5 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Honestly who here with any antivaxxer friends thinks a single one was persuaded by use of pofma. In fact it reinforced their belief that govt bully and cover up all protests

667561389_ScreenShot2021-08-16at11_53_55.jpg.b19341744df36ea3c9bab9244ec95bfb.jpg

Look at the 'benefits ' claimed by this  joker - and he wants to be taken seriously 🤣

Edited by shrjun
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Watwheels said:

And how long would it take for that Eileen to take down her post? What if the victim is too distraught to do anything? How long is that post is going to stay there? And by then how the fake news would have spread?

I know many ppl do not like the political link that the pofma has but it is necessary to quickly stop any fake news from spreading further. If we wait for some other ppl to take action on the fake news it could take them too long to do so. By that time the rumours or fake news could become true for those who believe it. It could spiral out of control and the consequences of the disinformation might be do more harm then good. The timing to take down the fake news is important. The longer the disinformation lingers the more doubtful the truth becomes.

I thought all media publications have obligation for the posting in the website? Once it is questionable, they can immediate remove them and bar that person from posting. Even when you write to ST's forum, you need to declare. 

↡ Advertisement