Anyone encountered problematic motorists at roundabouts?

thatJDMahboy

9 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

Yup, I encountered one like this few years back and that ignorant driver still honked me when he was in the wrong.

Many of these drivers dont even know they are in the wrong lane la. They just drive anyhow they like. So if you are not careful and alert, accident will happen.

↡ Advertisement

16 minutes ago, Starry said:

roundabout sure got many patterns from drivers one....

Just need to be careful and give and take to any drivers who are rookies, reckless or clueless.  No point being angry or anything.  Being  angry will only distract you further from the driving.

End of the day, we just want to reach home not just safely but happily. 

Agreed lo, no need to get angry even the other driver is kuku. Must practice defensive driving and alert to your surrounding, and prepared to slow down, give way or even stop to these rookies, reckless or clueless drivers. Lol. Give way to them even they are in the wrong la, this can prevent many accident to happen.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Agreed lo, no need to get angry even the other driver is kuku. Must practice defensive driving and alert to your surrounding, and prepared to slow down, give way or even stop to these rookies, reckless or clueless drivers. Lol. Give way to them even they are in the wrong la, this can prevent many accident to happen.

Provided no kuku driver behind you when you slow/stop for another one! 

• Haha! 1

18 hours ago, thatJDMahboy said:

Have yall met any problematic motorists at roundabouts before?

Personally, I met quite a few before. Some common behaviours of these drivers are (just to name a few):

1. Entering a roundabout despite incoming traffic
  2. Exiting a roundabout from lane 2
  3. Exiting a roundabout without signalling

Share with me your experience at roundabouts!!

I feel that number 2 and number 3 is totally not acceptable. Number 1 is really subjective. Esp at places like the Tuas Road/Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim Roundabout. One should gauge the distance and speed the car is coming. If the car is a distance away, it is generally safe to enter the roundabout. If you want to wait till no traffic, you can off engine, come down have a few ciggys, talk about life. Probably by then, there will be no more incoming cars.

So i would say it is up to judgement. But a good practice is to accelerate fast to enter the roundabout, without causing the vehicle already inside the roundabout behind you to slow down.

If it's at those small roundabout like Tuas South Ave 2, i agree that you should make sure no incoming traffic and totally clear before entering.

That's my opinion.

• Praise 4

8 hours ago, Wondertree said:

if sg drivers can't even handle discretionary right turn what makes LTA think they can handle roundabout?

This clearly shows one thing. Drivers back in the 80s and 90s were better drivers 😂

The roundabout has been around for donkey years. Why now then start to remove them/install traffic lights? Nowadays while driving on the roads, i noticed more and more of those "pick up license from drain" type of drivers.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

dun say those big roundabouts, even the tiny roundabouts at the HDB estates (those going to carparks), also got drivers dun follow rules

did not stop at stop line and give way to the cars in the roundabouts, and still dare to honk thinking they have the right of way!

got once, a taxi stopped inside the mini roundabout to drop off passenger and jammed all the cars behind, and buay song and gestured wildly when the cars honked him!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
8 hours ago, Wondertree said:

if sg drivers can't even handle discretionary right turn what makes LTA think they can handle roundabout?

actually there used to have many big roundabouts in SG in the past...

at the major junctions, eg the one at Queensway Shopping centre, Tanglin, Toa Payoh

then maybe for safety reasons, LTA changed them to proper traffic light junctions

hence now many drivers got not much experience in driving thru roundabouts liao

I don't see anything wrong with turning left from second lane of the roundabout if there are 2 exiting lane. By right roundabout is a more efficient way of clearing traffic than traffic light. It is more of Singaporeans driver cannot follow rules. Do not keep to left lane of the roundabout unless you want to exit the roundabout. 

53 minutes ago, Scion said:

actually there used to have many big roundabouts in SG in the past...

at the major junctions, eg the one at Queensway Shopping centre, Tanglin, Toa Payoh

then maybe for safety reasons, LTA changed them to proper traffic light junctions

hence now many drivers got not much experience in driving thru roundabouts liao

Beyond a certain traffic volume, roundabouts become inefficient/unworkable. Thus the switch.

• Praise 2

The roundabout at Amber / Marine Parade road ….. everytime keep changing the goal post exit with continuous construction 🚧 everywhere ……. Just got to exercise caution or drive defensively and give the blur cocks or two - give way and space 

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Detion said:

I don't see anything wrong with turning left from second lane of the roundabout if there are 2 exiting lane. By right roundabout is a more efficient way of clearing traffic than traffic light. It is more of Singaporeans driver cannot follow rules. Do not keep to left lane of the roundabout unless you want to exit the roundabout. 

You mean exiting from the inner lane? Then you better stay home for your own and our sake. Don't drive. 

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

You mean exiting from the inner lane? Then you better stay home for your own and our sake. Don't drive. 

Highway Code--> go to page 53. Thank you

Edited by Detion
  • Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Detion said:

Highway Code--> go to page 64. Thank you

That is very misleading. Blindly follow it and you will knock down someone like the goondu knocking into the ebike. Now you still insist on exiting from the inner lane like that goondu? Let's see how he use this highway code for his defence. 

Only applicable if the left lane is a turning only lane, and the inner lane is straight /turning lane. 

Edited by Volvobrick

14 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

That is very misleading. Blindly follow it and you will knock down someone like the goondu knocking into the ebike. Now you still insist on exiting from the inner lane like that goondu? Let's see how he use this highway code for his defence. 

Only applicable if the left lane is a turning only lane, and the inner lane is straight /turning lane. 

Yes of course only applicable if the second lane is a turning lane. When in roundabout, one have to be extra cautious. Signal your intention early, take note of your surrounding. Be in the correct lane even before entering the roundabout. Check your blind spot.

I never say to blindly follow it as there are still goondu driver or road users as you said. At your own discretion, if there are danger and cannot turn then go one more round. The reason why roundabout don't work in Singapore is Singaporean drivers don't give way, don't follow the roundabout rule.

If everyone just stay in the left lane then the roundabout just need to have 1 lane only right?

Edited by Detion
  • Praise 1

Of all the wrongs at roundabouts, the worst is failing to signal their intention. Even if in wrong lane but signal early, the cars in adjacent lane or entering can take still evasive action.

8 minutes ago, serenade said:

Of all the wrongs at roundabouts, the worst is failing to signal their intention. Even if in wrong lane but signal early, the cars in adjacent lane or entering can take still evasive action.

I really cannot understand why sg drivers cannot or unwilling to extend their fingers to flip the signal stalk. Yet they have no problem raising the entire arm to flip their middle fingers. Maybe all aspire to own BMW. 

Whenever I sense anyone about to come into my lane without signalling, I will honk the hell out of them first. Strangely then they will start signalling.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1