Kung-fu kick Cisco Officer dismissed, PMD rider jailed

Fcw75

This guy consider a 100% job satisfaction.

You want the cisco guy to follow just like the little india case (police watch their car being turn turtle and burned).

Does it mean in future police only report that he saw robber walk past with arm and no action taken.

Rules must always follow else have it for ???????

↡ Advertisement

50 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Is it so serious need to stop at all costs? What happen if the officer had a gun? 

Then we have to wait for many someones to die lor. Cos you cannot point and say this officer's inaction directly led to death.

What if the officer had a gun? Tricky question.  Cos you are assuming that someone who would use a flying kick would use a gun just S easily.

Then next time, all officers will just use eye power.  Any physical force will be met with "what if he had a gun?"

If I see a woman chasing a man shouting stop him, I better just shout stop stop as well.  Cos if I leap and pin him down, I might lose my job cos someone will ask "what if I hurt him" or "what if I were carrying a beer bottle? Since I was able to tackle him, maybe I would also have used the beer bottle to slash his neck."

OTOH, maybe I just take videos.  And maybe that is why people take videos instead of helping.  It's not people do things to for reward.  Not all are like that.  But if you know you could lose your job for helping, you will hesitate also.  And there is no way in advance to know if you will be hero or zero.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 1

Kick chao ah beng, kena dismiss

If he had kicked AMDK leotard, maybe hv to convene a high level COI 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Colin03 said:

This guy consider a 100% job satisfaction.

You want the cisco guy to follow just like the little india case (police watch their car being turn turtle and burned).

Does it mean in future police only report that he saw robber walk past with arm and no action taken.

Rules must always follow else have it for ???????

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Then we have to wait for many someones to die lor. Cos you cannot point and say this officer's inaction directly led to death.

What if the officer had a gun? Tricky question.  Cos you are assuming that someone who would use a flying kick would use a gun just S easily.

Then next time, all officers will just use eye power.  Any physical force will be met with "what if he had a gun?"

If I see a woman chasing a man shouting stop him, I better just shout stop stop as well.  Cos if I leap and pin him down, I might lose my job cos someone will ask "what if I hurt him" or "what if I were carrying a beer bottle? Since I was able to tackle him, maybe I would also have used the beer bottle to slash his neck."

OTOH, maybe I just take videos.  And maybe that is why people take videos instead of helping.  It's not people do things to for reward.  Not all are like that.  But if you know you could lose your job for helping, you will hesitate also.  And there is no way in advance to know if you will be hero or zero.

18 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

i also find the logic very funny. An officer kicked a offender, then ask what the officer had a gun?   what is link here? If an officer can physical tackle a criminal, he wont use a gun, right? watch too much American drama lately? 

if this continues, we will be like countries in the west. Remember a SG student got punched in the face in London and the criminal received probation only. Because the land of human rights believe in fair to everyone. Yeah...fair.... the result is no one dares to walk in the night.... those western bulls**ts...I hope one day I walk in the night in SG don't have worry about my life! 

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is, the officer need to be able to judge if the offender poses a significant danger that warrant the use of force. 

So if there's a robber of course force is required. So how is the gun link? What I'm trying to say is, if the officer has a gun and the e-scooter rider refuse to stop is he going to shoot him to make him stop? The officer can think that I need to stop him at all costs and not worry about the consequences. Does the offending action warrant such excessive use of force?

Just like if TP chases after offending motorists, there's a protocol to follow...you can't let your action of stopping the motorist at all costs results in danger to other road users. Like wise for police who are armed, they are trained when to open fire and when not to. Even in Army when we do guard duty, we are told when to use fire arms. Can't be you see a suspected intruder then you already open fire.  

(edited)

This fellow is a PMD enforcement officer from Cisco.

I don’t think he even have a gun.

Edited by Fcw75

3 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Yes it's quite clear he doesn't have. 

It's just an anecdote that you need to use the right force for the right offence and not stop at all costs. 

Turbocharged
23 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Asked what measures Certis has in place to apprehend errant riders who do not stop when ordered to, the agency appointed by the LTA for enforcement work said that it has standard operating procedures in place to deal with such scenarios.

Because there’s none. The fellow run off liao.

Got SOP lah. I thought someone who has since stepped away from LTA said:

1 ) Download app (skip this step if already downloaded)

2) Take your phone out from your pocket or bag

3) Activate your screen

4) Key in password to unlock screen (if you have face lock or finger print lock, good for you)

5) Launch camera app

6) Snap picture of errant rider

7) Eh, rider leh? Zhao liao ah? How come never wait for me to take photo!!!!! 😡

8 ) Report this incident with picture of errant rider through the app - No need for this step if cannot finish step 7

Not this SOP ah? Maybe I am not updated on local news. My bad.

Edited by Kxbc
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

42 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is, the officer need to be able to judge if the offender poses a significant danger that warrant the use of force. 

Agree.  That's why I think the conditional warning is justified.  But the sacking will discourage others from taking action to stop e bikes.  Cos future officers will think the worst is an accident that may potentially occur.  So it's never significant enough to warrant use of force.  So they just use eye power.

And we will have a situation of many enforcers on the ground but no enforcement in reality.

I mentioned many times here about Zhuge Liang open city strategy.  Won't describe the strategy again here.

But basically it seems our G strategy is to assume people here are scared of our enforcement and will obey.  But they forget that we have a generation of locals and foreigners who are losing that fear liao.

57 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Got plenty of guts though 😁

• Haha! 1

55 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Exactly 

If he had one, he wouldn't need to use karate kick

Chop chop kalipok

• Haha! 1

YP no chase kick, YP wont kena kicked. 

How else you expect the CISCO guy to enforce with just his nen-ki ka, versus PMD that can go 26km/h or faster???

• Haha! 1

Supercharged

Simple question is whether the Cisco officer is empowered to use physical force to catch errant offenders. If yes, then this case is similar to chasing and tripping an offender in order to stop him.  If no, then Cisco might as well employ our merdeka generation to be officers since only need eye power and take photo.

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Agree.  That's why I think the conditional warning is justified.  But the sacking will discourage others from taking action to stop e bikes.  Cos future officers will think the worst is an accident that may potentially occur.  So it's never significant enough to warrant use of force.  So they just use eye power.

And we will have a situation of many enforcers on the ground but no enforcement in reality.

1 hour ago, Soya said:

Exactly 

If he had one, he wouldn't need to use karate kick

Chop chop kalipok

Btw my apologies for not clarifying. I'm not saying he deserved to be sack. I too agree that even though what he did was wrong, perhaps additional training on how to deal with the situation better in future will suffice. And in fact I'm glad we have people like him to put himself at risk and stop that guy. That guy deserved to kicked with no pity. But unfortunately, the officer need to pay the price rightly or wrongly.

• Praise 1

In other countries, I think officers will just put a thick fishing line at the neck area of the PMD rider trying to run….:grin:

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

e-scooter's future doesn't look good in SG. Is it a good idea to ship them to Bali?  😅

With Singaporean teen's help, e-scooters get new lease of life with needy families in Bali

For children in the Tabanan regency of West Bali, going to school in the morning is often a journey of more than 3km. With no buses or taxis to speak of, this commute is often undertaken on foot. Some ride motorcycles to school – which is illegal as they are underaged, and also unsafe as they often ride without helmets. Furthermore, a day’s petrol for the motorbikes would cost between 10,000 and 20,000 rupiah (S$1 to S$2) – a whole day’s wages for families in remote villages, where breadwinners often depend on ad hoc work to earn a living.

E-scooters, which run on electricity, provide a cheaper alternative, noted 19-year-old Ethan Wei. Mr Wei is the co-founder of Walkers on Wheels, a non-profit organisation that hopes to ease the daily journeys of these needy children by providing them with their own personal mobility devices (PMDs). The group draws inspiration from non-profit organisation Lesswalk, which made headlines in 2019 when it donated 10,000 unused, abandoned bicycles from failed bike-sharing startups ofo and oBike to needy families in Myanmar.

Singapore’s ban on the use of e-scooters on footpaths left many users and retailers in Singapore high and dry, with some shop owners reporting they had thousands of PMDs that could no longer be sold. Walkers on Wheels aimed to give them a second lease of life by shipping them to villages on the Indonesian islands of Bali and Lombok. An e-scooter user himself, Mr Wei said the devices must meet the UL2272 fire-safety standard, as well as fulfil other conditions such as having a wheel size of more than 8.5 inches and mechanical brakes to make them safer to ride on unpaved roads.

ethan-wei--walkers-on-wheels.jpg?itok=e7

“We are purchasing helmets for them and also we are ensuring that every scooter has tail lights and a headlight, and that they will not cause fires,” he said. Mr Wei visited Bali early last year to identify suitable organisations.

“I went to talk to the village chiefs and talked to the families myself, so I know these are families that are in need of help,” he said. 

The idea for Walkers on Wheels first came from Ms Gan Jin-Ni, the chief executive officer of the now-defunct e-scooter sharing firm Telepod. Ms Gan – who knew Mr Wei from a TEDx talk she gave at his junior college in 2019 – had asked him to take charge of the efforts. The group is working with other non-governmental organisations in Bali, such as SOS Children’s Village and Saved by the School Bell, to distribute the e-scooters.  With more experience working in the communities, these local groups are better placed to know who needs the e-scooters, said Mr Wei. He is also working with Mr Jan-Hendrik Jurgens, the chief executive of Bali-based e-scooter company Skutis Corp, to identify other organisations that may need help.

126023094_106590667946679_17066051492925

(Left to right) Walkers on Wheels co-founders Ethan Wei, Gan Jin-Ni and Jan-Hendrik Jurgens in a photo taken in early 2020. (Photo: Facebook/Walkers on Wheels)

PLANS DERAILED BY PANDEMIC

Though Walkers on Wheels initially aimed to distribute as many as 1,000 e-scooters to beneficiaries in Bali, the COVID-19 outbreak put a damper on these plans. The shipping and distribution of e-scooters obtained from shops in Singapore were delayed amid travel restrictions and the closure of schools in Bali due to the pandemic, noted Mr Jurgens, speaking to CNA from Bali. However, plans picked up at the end of last year, when Mr Jurgens received a €10,000 (S$15,854) grant from a Dutch trust focusing on charity projects in Indonesia. This allowed Walkers on Wheels to be registered as a charitable organisation in Bali, under the name Yayasan Sahabat Skuter Elektris. The organisation has since distributed eight e-scooters – from Telepod as well as Singapore retailers such as MaximalSG and Minimotors – to children in Tabanan, and is in the midst of distributing four more. 

“The goal is to distribute 90 more e-scooters this year,” said Mr Jurgens. 

screenshot_6_0.png?itok=bPdM7M7l

Walkers on Wheels volunteers donating an e-scooter to a needy family in Bali. (Screengrab: YouTube/Walkers on Wheels)

screenshot_11_0.png?itok=J950nnEc

A boy riding an e-scooter, donated by charitable organisation Walkers on Wheels, on a street in Bali. (Screengrab: YouTube/Walkers on Wheels)

screenshot_12.png?itok=CvNH7Dzf

Walkers on Wheels member Jan-Hendrik Jurgens teaching a beneficiary how to use her new e-scooter. (Screenshot: YouTube/Walkers on Wheels)

To this end, Walkers on Wheels hopes to be able to raise 900 million rupiah (S$85,420), which will go towards the purchasing and maintenance of these e-scooters. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/e-scooters-singaporean-needy-families-bali-2195666

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Didu said:

e-scooter's future doesn't look good in SG. Is it a good idea to ship them to Bali?  😅

With Singaporean teen's help, e-scooters get new lease of life with needy families in Bali

For children in the Tabanan regency of West Bali, going to school in the morning is often a journey of more than 3km. With no buses or taxis to speak of, this commute is often undertaken on foot. Some ride motorcycles to school – which is illegal as they are underaged, and also unsafe as they often ride without helmets. Furthermore, a day’s petrol for the motorbikes would cost between 10,000 and 20,000 rupiah (S$1 to S$2) – a whole day’s wages for families in remote villages, where breadwinners often depend on ad hoc work to earn a living.

E-scooters, which run on electricity, provide a cheaper alternative, noted 19-year-old Ethan Wei. Mr Wei is the co-founder of Walkers on Wheels, a non-profit organisation that hopes to ease the daily journeys of these needy children by providing them with their own personal mobility devices (PMDs). The group draws inspiration from non-profit organisation Lesswalk, which made headlines in 2019 when it donated 10,000 unused, abandoned bicycles from failed bike-sharing startups ofo and oBike to needy families in Myanmar.

Singapore’s ban on the use of e-scooters on footpaths left many users and retailers in Singapore high and dry, with some shop owners reporting they had thousands of PMDs that could no longer be sold. Walkers on Wheels aimed to give them a second lease of life by shipping them to villages on the Indonesian islands of Bali and Lombok. An e-scooter user himself, Mr Wei said the devices must meet the UL2272 fire-safety standard, as well as fulfil other conditions such as having a wheel size of more than 8.5 inches and mechanical brakes to make them safer to ride on unpaved roads.

ethan-wei--walkers-on-wheels.jpg?itok=e7

“We are purchasing helmets for them and also we are ensuring that every scooter has tail lights and a headlight, and that they will not cause fires,” he said. Mr Wei visited Bali early last year to identify suitable organisations.

“I went to talk to the village chiefs and talked to the families myself, so I know these are families that are in need of help,” he said. 

The idea for Walkers on Wheels first came from Ms Gan Jin-Ni, the chief executive officer of the now-defunct e-scooter sharing firm Telepod. Ms Gan – who knew Mr Wei from a TEDx talk she gave at his junior college in 2019 – had asked him to take charge of the efforts. The group is working with other non-governmental organisations in Bali, such as SOS Children’s Village and Saved by the School Bell, to distribute the e-scooters.  With more experience working in the communities, these local groups are better placed to know who needs the e-scooters, said Mr Wei. He is also working with Mr Jan-Hendrik Jurgens, the chief executive of Bali-based e-scooter company Skutis Corp, to identify other organisations that may need help.

126023094_106590667946679_17066051492925

(Left to right) Walkers on Wheels co-founders Ethan Wei, Gan Jin-Ni and Jan-Hendrik Jurgens in a photo taken in early 2020. (Photo: Facebook/Walkers on Wheels)

PLANS DERAILED BY PANDEMIC

Though Walkers on Wheels initially aimed to distribute as many as 1,000 e-scooters to beneficiaries in Bali, the COVID-19 outbreak put a damper on these plans. The shipping and distribution of e-scooters obtained from shops in Singapore were delayed amid travel restrictions and the closure of schools in Bali due to the pandemic, noted Mr Jurgens, speaking to CNA from Bali. However, plans picked up at the end of last year, when Mr Jurgens received a €10,000 (S$15,854) grant from a Dutch trust focusing on charity projects in Indonesia. This allowed Walkers on Wheels to be registered as a charitable organisation in Bali, under the name Yayasan Sahabat Skuter Elektris. The organisation has since distributed eight e-scooters – from Telepod as well as Singapore retailers such as MaximalSG and Minimotors – to children in Tabanan, and is in the midst of distributing four more. 

“The goal is to distribute 90 more e-scooters this year,” said Mr Jurgens. 

screenshot_6_0.png?itok=bPdM7M7l

Walkers on Wheels volunteers donating an e-scooter to a needy family in Bali. (Screengrab: YouTube/Walkers on Wheels)

screenshot_11_0.png?itok=J950nnEc

A boy riding an e-scooter, donated by charitable organisation Walkers on Wheels, on a street in Bali. (Screengrab: YouTube/Walkers on Wheels)

screenshot_12.png?itok=CvNH7Dzf

Walkers on Wheels member Jan-Hendrik Jurgens teaching a beneficiary how to use her new e-scooter. (Screenshot: YouTube/Walkers on Wheels)

To this end, Walkers on Wheels hopes to be able to raise 900 million rupiah (S$85,420), which will go towards the purchasing and maintenance of these e-scooters. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/e-scooters-singaporean-needy-families-bali-2195666

Bali will going to have more fire at those poor villagers home.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6