Zhng: Inside the world of modified cars | CloseUp

kobayashiGT

13 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

Is tuning the engine illegal? The type where the ecu parameters are tweaked and the peak power/torque are increased (as shown in dyno graphs). Not talking about hardware change.

Nope. all so called illegal mods are all hardware. It's reasonable as ECU reflash can only get you so far (or so little). Hardware change is necessary if you want to go beyond the limit. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

16 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

Is tuning the engine illegal? The type where the ecu parameters are tweaked and the peak power/torque are increased (as shown in dyno graphs). Not talking about hardware change.

Its definitely illegal. Nothing grey about it. You are changing the car from the original spec that LTA approved off.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
26 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Its definitely illegal. Nothing grey about it. You are changing the car from the original spec that LTA approved off.

yeah. It is legal. Is like you overclock your CPU. Intel say can do it, but never do for you. You can choose not to do it also. hahahaha.

hahaha. I recently build my own computer. So used this as example. hahahahahaha

• Praise 1

Just now, kobayashiGT said:

yeah. It is legal. Is like you overclock your CPU. Intel say can do it, but never do for you. You can choose not to do it also. hahahaha.

hahaha. I recently build my own computer. So used this as example. hahahahahaha

Oops I didn't't know its legal. Thanks for correcting me.

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Oops I didn't't know its legal. Thanks for correcting me.

AD doesn't want you to touch only. Cause if you don't tune it properly, it will go kaput.

But you are still running on the OEM parts that are given by the manufacturer mah. Nothing wrong to "optimise" the car in that way. 🙂

Aiyo. Make me wanna mod my car again. Jialat lah. . .

• Haha! 1

Just now, kobayashiGT said:

AD doesn't want you to touch only. Cause if you don't tune it properly, it will go kaput.

But you are still running on the OEM parts that are given by the manufacturer mah. Nothing wrong to "optimise" the car in that way. 🙂

Aiyo. Make me wanna mod my car again. Jialat lah. . .

Now I also wanna tune my ride. Haha Gary's?

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
9 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Now I also wanna tune my ride. Haha Gary's?

I will go there for servicing and repair. Tuning, I will still like to use somemore that have a longer track record. I like my car and would like to drive until I cannot drive.

I am not saying he is not good, I know him in person. I like his works. Just that not on the tuning side. 🤣

• Haha! 1

I think it is fair manufacturer (cars, computer, etc) void warranty if you meddle with the product's specs or use it beyond allowable operating conditions. Insurance voidance is also closely tied to warranty considerations.

So, legality is a different issue. I think even grey area has different shades. Authorities may have a general statement that say anything beyond OEM original specs is illegal. It is also to cover what is not known. Changing rims or bodykits to aftermarket is beyond OEM original specs but we all know authority is never going to stop you for this, unless of cos you go very extreme. I think most people who mod cars will know roughly where the threshold is. For me, a good gauge of this threshold point is what the garages advertise/share publicly. For example, I have not seen any facebook posts about custom exhaust, add-on turbos, etc from the popular workshops. On the other hand, everyday there are posts about aftermarket brake kits, custom tuning, engine mods, intakes, handling mods, etc.

So to summarise, everything changed and not stock are grey. Grey have different shades. And most importantly, be responsible. Want to mod don't scared, scared don't mod.

Personally, I remind myself of past incidents like the 2020 tanjong pagar case. In the TS video, some of the interviewees mod their car and do their stuffs on the tracks, which I think is fine. Don't bring the shit onto public roads and involve innocent.

Edited by Columbian78
  • Praise 3

7 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I will go there for servicing and repair. Tuning, I will still like to use somemore that have a longer track record. I like my car and would like to drive until I cannot drive.

I am not saying he is not good, I know him in person. I like his works. Just that not on the tuning side. 🤣

Haha I know. We had that conversation before.

• Haha! 1

speaking of tuning, anyone tuned their cars at the following places? Got any reviews feedback?

R tuning, Super tune and Advanced tuning performance.

Read online a lot of favorable reviews for Advanced tuning ( Fabian).

R tuning seems to be road tuning only, super tune and advanced tuning got dyno tune option.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
23 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Haha I know. We had that conversation before.

yeah. haha. I stand firm with what i preach. hahahahaha.

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

speaking of tuning, anyone tuned their cars at the following places? Got any reviews feedback?

R tuning, Super tune and Advanced tuning performance.

Read online a lot of favorable reviews for Advanced tuning ( Fabian).

R tuning seems to be road tuning only, super tune and advanced tuning got dyno tune option.

I am considering super tune. Not thier customer yet. but yah. they have dyno tune option which I kinda favor.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

I am considering super tune. Not thier customer yet. but yah. they have dyno tune option which I kinda favor.

Group buy!

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, Smoothscott said:

@kobayashiGT  bro, what is the estimated damage for such one time tuning? 

think it depends on your car model..

got range one, probably between 400-600 dollars plus onwards

↡ Advertisement