2014 Jetta Brake Servo Failure

CarLearner

My VW Jetta 2014 model recently have "brake servo failure" with 3 error signs shown (photo). Now this sign came out every time after engine starts. In march 2021 VW Singapore quoted me replacement of ABS/EDL Control Unit for $3,974, of course I refused to do so. Anyone can offer your solution? 

20210818_120459.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

24 minutes ago, CarLearner said:

My VW Jetta 2014 model recently have "brake servo failure" with 3 error signs shown (photo). Now this sign came out every time after engine starts. In march 2021 VW Singapore quoted me replacement of ABS/EDL Control Unit for $3,974, of course I refused to do so. Anyone can offer your solution? 

go to a outside ws and check how much loh??😁

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, CarLearner said:

20210818_120459.jpg

What are the warning lights on the right gauge? Cannot really see clearly due to over exposure. I am guessing, left to right, abs warning light, traction control warning light and the brake warning light.

Do you experience any brake problems like unresponsive braking response or need extra effort to press on the brake pedals?

Usually this is the part that is giving you abs and braking issues. Looks something like this. I think this is what the authorize workshop suggested you to replace. The price quoted should be part and labour inclusive. You can look for other workshops to quote you. The diagnosis from the authorize workshop should be spot on. It is just that their price is on the higher side.

bad-abs-module.jpg

Alternatively you may search among the scrapyards for the used part but the no good thing is you dunno how long a used part will last.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

@Watwheels Thanks for advise. I checked that 3 signs are relating ABS, low brake fluid. During March 2021 (at VW SG) servicing already top up brake fluid. Earlier the sign came out on & off but now every engine starts. The brake disc & brake pad was changed in March and the braking works as normal without problem. Just wonder will it cause serious road saftey? Anyway will get workshop to repair.

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, CarLearner said:

20210818_120459.jpg

you take the same exact quotatiton and look for a 3rd party workshop, it should be half of what they quote you. :grin:

Need to do ah. brake don't play. Will cause accident one.

• Praise 2

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

What are the warning lights on the right gauge? Cannot really see clearly due to over exposure. I am guessing, left to right, abs warning light, traction control warning light and the brake warning light.

Do you experience any brake problems like unresponsive braking response or need extra effort to press on the brake pedals?

Usually this is the part that is giving you abs and braking issues. Looks something like this. I think this is what the authorize workshop suggested you to replace. The price quoted should be part and labour inclusive. You can look for other workshops to quote you. The diagnosis from the authorize workshop should be spot on. It is just that their price is on the higher side.

bad-abs-module.jpg

Alternatively you may search among the scrapyards for the used part but the no good thing is you dunno how long a used part will last.

Yah this guy translates your leg pressing on the brake pedal into actual hydraulic pressure on the brake pistons. When detect loss of traction it will automatically release the brake pressure, that is where people hear the ABS pulsing during emergency.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, CarLearner said:

20210818_120459.jpg

I had ABS & ESP lights on intermittently recently.

Outside workshop replaced ABS sensor. 

Suggest you find a workshop to resolve the issue. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, ER-3682 said:

Time to change Car,next will be DSG Kaput....7 Years VW,Very Worry...

Now I understand why  at one point jetta was selling like hot cake but now  there are  few left on the road.  Or I am wrong? 

8 hours ago, CarLearner said:

20210818_120459.jpg

Did you check the quote  to see what will be replaced ?

It is either they will be replacing a lot of components because they are not sure , or,

they are replacing them as a preventive measure, or,

they are not sure, so just replace everything along the error chain, or,

they  grind their knife very sharp to slaughter their customers.

Like other bros have suggested, go get a outside workshop, will be a lot cheaper. 

You can also ask them, what are the corrective replacements and what are the preventive replacements that can be eleiminated.  Ask them to explain(justify) every  recommended replacements.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Now I understand why  at one point jetta was selling like hot cake but now  there are  few left on the road.  Or I am wrong? 

Because VW Europe scrapped the Jetta in 2017 due to low sales. Same fate as the Scirocco as well. But US and China still selling the Jetta. The China Jetta (named Sagitar) looks really good and premium. Too bad they don’t make right-hand drive. Then there’s the VW Vento (polo sedan) made in India for local market and sold in Malaysia which never made it here. 

Edited by Zxcvb

@Ct3833 You're right! VW W/S appointed many service Changineer. You know other than I paid for my last servicing, they quoted a list of parts to be replaced, total costs $9,800 after 30% off on parts price. Thanks I learnt a lot from you guys!

• Praise 1

Twincharged
11 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Did you check the quote  to see what will be replaced ?

It is either they will be replacing a lot of components because they are not sure , or,

they are replacing them as a preventive measure, or,

they are not sure, so just replace everything along the error chain, or,

they  grind their knife very sharp to slaughter their customers.

Like other bros have suggested, go get a outside workshop, will be a lot cheaper. 

You can also ask them, what are the corrective replacements and what are the preventive replacements that can be eleiminated.  Ask them to explain(justify) every  recommended replacements.

ya. VW just say replace

1.all brake sensors

2. All calipers 

3. ABS module and pump,

4.brake vacuum booster.

5. brake pedal and rubber pad

6. brake pads, and rotors

for sure problem will be solved.hahaha

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

If TS don't want to repair and wants to sell the car I give him a good price.

VW is a very safe car and people say if you going to crash you should crash in a VW.

I will give the car to my MIL.

:D

↡ Advertisement