How reliable are electric cars in a flood?

unicornfloof

Just out of curiosity, how well do you think electric vehicles perform in a flood? Are there certain safety features installed to prevent extreme damage to the car? The floods this morning looked quite serious and resulted in a few cars stalling in the middle of the road, which got me thinking about how EVs would be impacted by floods like this. 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My experience was electric car and water does not mix.

This happened to my very expensive electric car

I heart pain as I spent a lot of money one it and it went up in fames

when some water got into it and caused a short circuit.

:D

Other people maybe more lucky than me.

As not all electric made to the same quality.

image.png.ec17579fdc4bdd8a0b08fcde01627891.png

• Haha! 6

11 minutes ago, Rm2s said:

One example: 

Based on what I read, EV will do better than ICE.

Because EV got no pipe and no hole for water to go inside.

Why would anyone design an electric motor that can't take a bit of splashing or flooding? I mean rain already will die ah

Combustion engine the problem is where the exhaust comes out... but you see those combat engineer vehicle they just make a long pipe up and problem solved

29 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Engineers should have think of it..before they started making the Car.

😂 definitely but then again, who can predict the severity of flash floods in the future?

4 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

😂 definitely but then again, who can predict the severity of flash floods in the future?

buy the tesla pickup. every 1 confirm turn head😁

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I got Fortuner here also when I see flood, I will siam. Of cos I judge that the water very shallow and I will just go. If see the water so high still cheong in meh. I not kee siao or gong gong. When I see those people stuck there, I keep asking why they wanna still try to pass😰

• Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Arogab said:

I got Fortuner here also when I see flood, I will siam. Of cos I judge that the water very shallow and I will just go. If see the water so high still cheong in meh. I not kee siao or gong gong. When I see those people stuck there, I keep asking why they wanna still try to pass😰

other country dun say

fortuner should be able to tackle most flood in sg😊

• Haha! 3

The engine of an ICE car may die in a flood but the  passengers are safe to get out of the car.  If a EV car get short circuit, the passengers can potentially be killed by the high current. So EV better have very good water insulation around the bateries and circuits to avoid short circuit.

• Praise 1

Tesla should be well protected against flooding and even have unofficial boat mode.

If talking abut those china EVs like MG and BYD, i wouldnt really have the same confidence of the said protection 😂

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, Beregond said:

other country dun say

fortuner should be able to tackle most flood in sg😊

I see how deep the BMW in the photo. My mind cannot keep asking why he go in? I don't think I will run into the same shit. Got one day the Simpang Bedok there near Flextronics kena. That day I happen to be on bus, my colleague drive. He also know how to detour rather cheong into the deep.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Ceecookie said:

Tesla should be well protected against flooding and even have unofficial boat mode.

If talking abut those china EVs like MG and BYD, i wouldnt really have the same confidence of the said protection 😂

Oh yah, this time round how come the BMW never float up yah? I thot last time in Orchard, the BMW floated. Haha

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Ceecookie said:

Yeah so I think I should get an MG and BYD for my MIL.

:D

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

The engine of an ICE car may die in a flood but the  passengers are safe to get out of the car.  If a EV car get short circuit, the passengers can potentially be killed by the high current. So EV better have very good water insulation around the bateries and circuits to avoid short circuit.

i 100% got the same feeling as u .

i might got the balls to try tackle a flood with a ICE car. but if i am driving  an EV.u bet i not gonna even try .  i will be super super kiasi , wait some wire leaking electric we also dun know. i am damn scare of electric shock 😅

Edited by Beregond
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1