Thoughts on a car-lite Singapore as a car owner?

welik72

This recent article wrote about Singapore's direction towards a car-lite city. I personally think that the idea of my neighbourhood being car-lite is a good one – if key establishments (grocery stores, eateries, retail, medical and recreational spaces) are integrated well and concentrated in the vicinity, all accessible without the use of a car. It'd encourage less casual use of a car within the neighbourhood as you would only need to use it to get from one neighbourhood to another.

I'm curious about your thoughts on this? What kind of infrastructure/policies do you think is needed to encourage car owners like ya'll to drive cars less and embrace a car-lite society? Is it even possible for Singapore to have a completely car-free district and if yes, where?

Edited by welik72
↡ Advertisement

13 minutes ago, welik72 said:

This recent article wrote about Singapore's direction towards a car-lite city. I personally think that the idea of my neighbourhood being car-lite is a good one – if key establishments (grocery stores, eateries, retail, medical and recreational spaces) are integrated well and concentrated in the vicinity, all accessible without the use of a car. It'd encourage less casual use of a car within the neighbourhood as you would only need to use it to get from one neighbourhood to another.

I'm curious about your thoughts on this? What kind of infrastructure/policies do you think is needed to encourage car owners like ya'll to drive cars less and embrace a car-lite society?

Personally ,  it's NOT about the transport network . Car-lite is fine as long as I can drive my car 🤣 . These days I couldn't care less about walking around in malls - I prefer driving aimlessly around the island for up-to 70 - 100 kms whenever I can.

Quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson - 

Unknown.jpg.fcd53efba8ff69a47a599f4e9841b546.jpg

Edited by shrjun
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged

I don't drive all the time

I'll pick the most convenient mode of transport depending on the time and destination

walking, motorcycle, feeder bus, SBS bus, MRT, taxi/grab

covid19 actually made me drive more often because I want to avoid close contact with others in public transport

Edited by Phang
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Car lite in my own definition is I will drive less and I have been. I will  drive when I go to market and supermarket, likewise when going out with family or going out to meet up with clients.

I will  take public transport when I go out to meet up with friends for drinking or even just kopi. 

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Car lite in my own definition is I will drive less and I have been. I will  drive when I go to market and supermarket, likewise when going out with family or going out to meet up with clients.

I will  take public transport when I go out to meet up with friends for drinking or even just kopi. 

That one not car lite.  That one should be called car-less.   😅😂🤣

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

actually the car lite thinking don't really start with infrastructure. It should start with the person habit.

For me, when I go to the gym or just go and buy some groceries, I won't drive. instead, I will take a bus, I only use my car to fetch my parents or when my work needs it. And of cuz, going to workshop to kaypoh mod car a bit. 😁

I got friends that cannot buy groceries at the nearest sheng siong one (how i wish my house downstairs have one!), need to go to holland V or orchard for groceries, how to not have a car with such lifestyle! 🤣

If you can tweak your mentality, it is already car lite.

• Praise 3

"Car-lite" to me is the way our authorities want to control the vehicle population. They want it to shrink rather than grow. That is my understanding.

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Phang said:

I don't drive all the time

I'll pick the most convenient mode of transport depending on the time and destination

walking, motorcycle, feeder bus, SBS bus, MRT, taxi/grab

covid19 actually made me drive more often because I want to avoid close contact with others in public transport

yea this makes sense!! sometimes taking a bus a few stops down is actually quicker than going to the carpark to take the car and finding parking spots 

• Praise 3

17 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

actually the car lite thinking don't really start with infrastructure. It should start with the person habit.

For me, when I go to the gym or just go and buy some groceries, I won't drive. instead, I will take a bus, I only use my car to fetch my parents or when my work needs it. And of cuz, going to workshop to kaypoh mod car a bit. 😁

I got friends that cannot buy groceries at the nearest sheng siong one (how i wish my house downstairs have one!), need to go to holland V or orchard for groceries, how to not have a car with such lifestyle! 🤣

If you can tweak your mentality, it is already car lite.

well said!! 

wow your friends must be the high ses, high maintenance ones 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

"Car-lite" to me is the way our authorities want to control the vehicle population. They want it to shrink rather than grow. That is my understanding.

That's one way to put it! It does sound like a nicer excuse for them to exert control. Is it necessarily a bad thing though? I mean, Sg could do with less pollution and congestion...

car lite is not car zero, improving transport infra  and better town planning would help reduce usage of cars.  Whereas reducing COE would reduce car ownership which is already in place and proven absolutely effective. 

Up road tax by 3 times.

Car purchases must be full settled, no loans nor hire purchase allowed

problem solved already. 

dare or not? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Internal Moderator
14 minutes ago, welik72 said:

well said!! 

wow your friends must be the high ses, high maintenance ones 🤣

He can afford. good to have such friend thou. I can see how rich ppl live without being rich myself.

See see grow some knowledge mah. hahahah.

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, happy_man said:

IMO this "car lite" idea is a gimmick and propaganda.

Why would Gov want to reduce private car usage and ownership when this is one of their biggest source of revenue ?

For e.g. city area is already "car lite" in a way with its ERP and Crazy Rich parking charges - guess what happened ? Pple take public tpt or park their cars else where.

Imagine this is apply across the Island including HDB estates.😜

Good idea

HDB parking should be $300 per mth for season.  $10 a day very fair.

And per hour parking should be $1.50 

Internal Moderator
4 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Up road tax by 3 times.

Car purchases must be full settled, no loans nor hire purchase allowed

problem solved already. 

dare or not? 

Like that my coy visitorship will be cut by half leh. hahaha mai la mai lah. I scare my rice bowl crack. hahaha.

• Haha! 2

9 hours ago, welik72 said:

I'm curious about your thoughts on this? What kind of infrastructure/policies do you think is needed to encourage car owners like ya'll to drive cars less and embrace a car-lite society? Is it even possible for Singapore to have a completely car-free district and if yes, where?

Before the advent of cars, there were horses and carriages..

Perhaps that’s what the government meant

Putting the cart before the horse

Reducing bus and train frequencies to make it as packed and inconvenient for commuters.

Who can afford a 15 minute wait at each node change?

With such disincentives and as incomes go up, grab and taxi will be the go to for non-car owners, while families will buy another for the school run and daily/weekly commutes

Conflicting policies will always cause failures

i foresee orchard hollowing out, as less carparks, and double digit parking fees become the norm.

good luck to G trying to arrange extract revenue from there 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3