Thoughts on a car-lite Singapore as a car owner?

welik72

Neutral Newbie

@welik72 If access to transportation gets more and more seamless, car-lite will be a reality. 

Because at the price point that cars are in SG, cars are actually a luxury. More important, they signal status. It also happens that owning a car makes life very convenient. 

Which is why, if access to transportation gets better, then the ONLY reason to own a car becomes purely a status thing. Which, in the future, might just end up being a weird flex. 

It's useful to remember that when the automobile took over the horse and carriage, horse-riding didn't go away. It just became a thing that signalled luxury and high SES. 

Same thing looks like it might happen, if owning a car gets replaced by having access to a car (through shared services). 

Neutral Newbie
4 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Trick question!

There are no car owners in SG.

We all just rent for 10 years. 

:D

OMG. 100% true

• Haha! 1

14 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

actually the car lite thinking don't really start with infrastructure. It should start with the person habit.

For me, when I go to the gym or just go and buy some groceries, I won't drive. instead, I will take a bus, I only use my car to fetch my parents or when my work needs it. And of cuz, going to workshop to kaypoh mod car a bit. 😁

I got friends that cannot buy groceries at the nearest sheng siong one (how i wish my house downstairs have one!), need to go to holland V or orchard for groceries, how to not have a car with such lifestyle! 🤣

If you can tweak your mentality, it is already car lite.

If they do usage based charging and not tax that much at the initial cost of buying a car, that could jolly well be possible.

I would be happy with an i10 (it's very good for its class) or a small car like that, but the system doesn't support that 😕

Problem being they aren't willing to rock the boat, or in fact, they could go for the kill and want both. While taxing ppl to death seems good in theory, but in terms of revenue generation it's killing the golden goose for its eggs.

Edited by Brass

17 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

actually the car lite thinking don't really start with infrastructure. It should start with the person habit.

For me, when I go to the gym or just go and buy some groceries, I won't drive. instead, I will take a bus, I only use my car to fetch my parents or when my work needs it. And of cuz, going to workshop to kaypoh mod car a bit. 😁

I got friends that cannot buy groceries at the nearest sheng siong one (how i wish my house downstairs have one!), need to go to holland V or orchard for groceries, how to not have a car with such lifestyle! 🤣

If you can tweak your mentality, it is already car lite.

My house downstairs is sheng siong. 24 hours some more. But I still buy from redmart. 

• Haha! 1

22 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Up road tax by 3 times.

Car purchases must be full settled, no loans nor hire purchase allowed

problem solved already. 

dare or not? 

If that happens one day, there will be more MCF members here chit chatting than actual car owners on the road. People will be buying 9 year old cars or coe cars. 2nd hand dealers will laugh to the bank. Worst case scenario, the roads will be empty like North Korea, except the occasional passing bus.

Edited by Sunset73
  • Haha! 1

should ban all cars 

make everyone ride bicycles

in one year, everybody ippt gold

In 5 years, diabetics no more

In 10 years, Singapore become orlinpig bicycle champion

in one generation, mindef raise ippt gold standard by 50%

CB4AEED3-0953-419A-AFC6-EA534BDFF9D2.jpeg

Edited by Mustank
  • Haha! 5

4 minutes ago, Mustank said:

should ban all cars 

And the expressways are for strollers...😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Sunset73 said:

If that happens one day, there will be more MCF members here chit chatting than actual car owners on the road. People will be buying 9 year old cars or coe cars. 2nd hand dealers will laugh to the bank. Worst case scenario, the roads will be empty like North Korea, except the occasional passing bus.

nah.... there will simply be a percenrage less cars on the roads, maybe 25% less 

which would be perfect. 
it will not be like what you describe. 

as for dealers, some will win some will lose.   But i can tell you most will lose more than win in the longer run if base on no loans allowed whatsoever.  Anyone who tries to go around and use any loophole to achieve a similar reault will be beought to task.   You think dealers will sell more cars or less?  

muayhahahhahah

hope that day will come

• Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

that sounds dangerous to the next election. People are never rational, they can be irrational. 

I have no worries about the election results.  Most ppl (except in Sengkang) are scared of change.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
6 hours ago, may_dream said:

My house downstairs is sheng siong. 24 hours some more. But I still buy from redmart. 

You must go sheng siong walk walk a bit. They always have difference promo one. Is like waiting for durain like that. when drop, we can pick. hahahha.

• Haha! 2

The sermon at ss is not fresh, skin will separate on pan fry.

although vegetarian dishes would be good and cheap.

Edited by Datsun366

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

You must go sheng siong walk walk a bit. They always have difference promo one. Is like waiting for durain like that. when drop, we can pick. hahahha.

Too much time on your hands dude. I rather wait for winne the Pooh to crash the China equity market 

Edited by Sdf4786k

Supercharged
13 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Car-lite is a polite and packaged word to the majority of population to give up their dreams.

We're living in the Internet era. It attracts the youth's attention, interest, energy, and time like never before. I offered to send my kids to go take drivers license course to no avail. They rather spend time with their social media and games. So car-lite might have a chance of success for our next generation of Singaporeans.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Mustank said:

should ban all cars 

CB4AEED3-0953-419A-AFC6-EA534BDFF9D2.jpeg

Car lite means you got bicycle, got motorbike and got car and you choose to travel whichever your you like and not give them up

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Didu said:

We're living in the Internet era. It attracts the youth's attention, interest, energy, and time like never before. I offered to send my kids to go take drivers license course to no avail. They rather spend time with their social media and games. So car-lite might have a chance of success for our next generation of Singaporeans.

Wait till the youth get older and experienced more of life. I only got my license past age 30

• Haha! 2

Supercharged
27 minutes ago, Ganwb79 said:

Wait till the youth get older and experienced more of life. I only got my license past age 30

By the age of 30, I may already retired. If they want to drive, it has to come out of their own pockets. 

↡ Advertisement