CCP Wanshui

Voodooman

I am a bit ambivalent on the recent ban on private tutoring but I must give it to CCP for cracking down on online gaming. Calling it spiritual opium is quite appropriate. These games are designed to be addictive.  

Some may say free choice but many of my friends with kids didn't think it is such a bad idea. 

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/article/3146437/chinas-video-game-industry-stormy-waters-country-grapples-its-love

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
13 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I am a bit ambivalent on the recent ban on private tutoring but I must give it to CCP for cracking down on online gaming. Calling it spiritual opium is quite appropriate. These games are designed to be addictive.  

Some may say free choice but many of my friends with kids didn't think it is such a bad idea. 

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/article/3146437/chinas-video-game-industry-stormy-waters-country-grapples-its-love

Recent moves by Xi & his leadership is surprising. Move against big tech; change paid tuition culture etc

If he just wants to cement his rule, no need to do these actions.

They are really short term pain but long term gains for social equality and stability.

• Praise 6

41 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Recent moves by Xi & his leadership is surprising. Move against big tech; change paid tuition culture etc

If he just wants to cement his rule, no need to do these actions.

They are really short term pain but long term gains for social equality and stability.

The move against big tech is in line with protection of the party.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Crack down on online gambling is great.... 

Now can see gambling sites advert on Youtube.... 

Dunno WTF youtube is doing 

• Praise 4

Artists with morality issues also Kenna fix hor.

• Haha! 5

This game is going to be big in East Asia.

South Asian in origin East Asian in form.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Their cars are going to be of like standards soon.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 2

if lky was around he might have done the same.. no chewing gum and no gaming on school nights.. but tuition is good. lol

except the philip yeo said something about the higher ses will always be at advantage if we all relied on tuition.

its their country, their values. if a revolution starts because of online gaming or tuition ban, then so be it. 😂

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

if lky was around he might have done the same.. no chewing gum and no gaming on school nights.. but tuition is good. lol

except the philip yeo said something about the higher ses will always be at advantage if we all relied on tuition.

its their country, their values. if a revolution starts because of online gaming or tuition ban, then so be it. 😂

When MRT broke down in 2011, LKY was still alive and kicking.

Only because these companies were getting too big, powerful and influential. Xi dada had to cut them down to size.

Of course the ccp cannot openly target these companies. But they will do it via other means like finding regulatory breaches, attacking their core business - social media, online games - as social ills, even criticizing their working style as 996 culture.

• Praise 4

11 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Online gaming not only affecting kids but adults too... i got frens in their 30s/40s spending more time n money on games than on their family/work, the world is really going cyber crazy for a lot of us, esp. during this covid period, we must really be strong to withstand all these new age addictions.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Cheesey74 said:

Online gaming not only affecting kids but adults too... i got frens in their 30s/40s spending more time n money on games than on their family/work, the world is really going cyber crazy for a lot of us, esp. during this covid period, we must really be strong to withstand all these new age addictions.

Not surprising. Everyone has a different way to de-stress in this stressful time

1 hour ago, Cheesey74 said:

i got frens in their 30s/40s spending more time n money on games than on their family/work

But then that's not just limited to games mah.

There's literally unlimited "hero stories" of people celebrated for doing exactly that for various hobbies,  interest,  goals... religion is one big gorilla in the room...

One can even say schooling wasted his life if he didn't get that 1 Olympic gold...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I see shades of the cultural revolution and personality cult start to emerge nowadays. Anyone saying something "unpopular" on social media will immediately get shouted down, condemned by the unknown faceless "masses" - just not the point of being paraded through the streets with signboard hanging from the neck like cultural revolution days but then again in those days they didn't have social media.

And the zombie / sheep mentality driven by social media is just amazing. Single-minded with no entertaining of alternative thoughts. Good example is the recent floods and the sports apparel company Erke went to make a big donation. Overnight, due to social media campaign lauding their act, their stores were emptied by throngs of shoppers urged on to buy their products to show "gratitude".

In a way, the ccp is trying to make use of this social media phenomenon and mindless behaviour to target its enemies, but also worry about the power of social media being turned against them. That's why they are trying to control these tech companies.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

US huge tech companies with trillions of dollars in market cap can certainly sway the government's policies, or even choose to support their favoured nominees to become the next president

but what Xi is doing here is a dangerous move

China has been one of the world's leading nations in technological innovation in recent decade but he may be killing them off

• Praise 1

47 minutes ago, Scion said:

US huge tech companies with trillions of dollars in market cap can certainly sway the government's policies, or even choose to support their favoured nominees to become the next president

but what Xi is doing here is a dangerous move

China has been one of the world's leading nations in technological innovation in recent decade but he may be killing them off

Or indirectly shipping them aboard. Ali the pa pa? 😆