Intoxicated in a vehicle

Goldenvodka

A simple question that I am wondering if it will cause trouble with the law.

3 Scenario. Assuming it is before 2230 and drinking in public area is legal

1)

A person drunk person drinking alcoholic drinks in his vehicle while listening music. Engine is off but ignition is on to power up electrical items in the car.

2)

A drunk person decides to sleep in his vehicle because drink driving is dangerous. Something engine is off

3) 

After having some drinks. Hands start to get itchy want to do some modification to the vehicle 

In all scenario, the vehicle is not in motion and parked at a legal parking space/road

Last time heard some stories from my friends that a non license holder, even sitting on the driver seat with engine off is illegal

Edited by Goldenvodka
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Let me let you in on the truth lah.

When a dude is drunk or intoxicated he is not aware of what he is doing. He wont be sober to know whether he is breaking the law or not. That's why so many drink drivers got caught at road blocks.

All of your 3 questions or scenario will never happen to a drunk person. The driver will confirm want to drive home after drinking. Just look at those who got caught.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Goldenvodka said:

1)

A person drunk person drinking alcoholic drinks in his vehicle while listening music. Engine is off but ignition is on to power up electrical items in the car.

2)

A drunk person decides to sleep in his vehicle because drink driving is dangerous. Something engine is off

3) 

After having some drinks. Hands start to get itchy want to do some modification to the vehicle 

In all scenario, the vehicle is not in motion and parked at a legal parking space/road

Last time heard some stories from my friends that a non license holder, even sitting on the driver seat with engine off is illegal

TS, are you a 30yo virgin who has never gotten drunk in your entire life?😂

It is ok. I dont wanna know.

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Goldenvodka said:

1)

2)

3) 

copied from statues:

Being in charge of motor vehicle when under influence of drink or drugs

68.—(1)  Any person who when in charge of a motor vehicle which is on a road or other public place but not driving the vehicle —

(a)is unfit to drive in that he is under the influence of drink or of a drug or an intoxicating substance to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of a vehicle; or

(b)has so much alcohol in his body that the proportion of it in his breath or blood exceeds the prescribed limit,

shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $5,000 and to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months.

[11/96]

(2)  For the purpose of subsection (1), a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a motor vehicle if he proves —

(a)that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving the vehicle so long as he remained so unfit to drive or so long as the proportion of alcohol in his breath or blood remained in excess of the prescribed limit; and

(b)that between his becoming so unfit to drive and the material time, or between the time when the proportion of alcohol in his breath or blood first exceeded the prescribed limit and the material time, he had not driven the vehicle on a road or other public place.

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

TS, are you a 30yo virgin who has never gotten drunk in your entire life?😂

It is ok. I dont wanna know.

No need to be shy about that.

I guarded my virginity until I was 30 years old.😑

• Haha! 1

AFAIK ,  situations 1 and 2 will be result in the person being  arrested and carted off for blood alcohol levels esp if parked in areas like ECP or those police monitored car parks .

If u are drunk and doing mods in your HDB or condo parking , I doubt anyone would come to know or even care.

• Haha! 1

i think this question was also raised several years ago... i remember coming across it

anyway ridiculous it seems, but if u sit in the driver seat, it makes u a driver

so drunk driving law will be applied to u whether the car is moving or not (i think so)

• Praise 2

I remembered a few years ago, on christmas eve, i was out whole day since morning and returned home only 4am at night. I was so tired that i parked by a parallel parking lot and slept till morning in my driver's seat. It was so bad that i was having double/triple vision while driving on the road. Stationary objects (grey or white in color) that i passed by while driving all looked like ghostly figures to me.

Edited by Sunset73
↡ Advertisement