Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S E Performance Revealed: An 831-HP Plug-In Hybrid

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

mercedes-amg-gt-63-s-e-performance.jpg

link: https://www.motor1.com/news/530107/mercedes-amg-gt63-plug-in-hybrid/

It’s the most powerful AMG ever.

As if the Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door lineup wasn't already tricky enough to keep track of, today the brand is adding another model to the range. This is the – deep breath – Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S E Performance. The 'E' in the name indicates that this is Mercedes-AMG's very first plug-in hybrid, and undoubtedly the first of many to come.

So what does the new PHEV AMG offer? Power, and lots of it. The combination of a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8, a 6.1-kilowatt-hour battery pack, and an electric motor mounted on the rear axle gives this car a mind-bending 831 horsepower (620 kilowatts) and 1,033 pound-feet (1,400 newton-meters) of torque. To put it plainly, this is the most powerful Mercedes-AMG factory product ever.

The engineering team in Affalterbach worked closely with the Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 engine shop in the UK to create the powerful yet lightweight battery pack. The battery tips the scales at 196 pounds (89 kilograms) and produces 204 hp (152 kW) on its own. But since the purpose of the battery pack is power instead of range, the GT 63 achieves a rather poor 7.5-mile (12-kilometer) electric driving range.

Limited range aside, the GT 63 will race to 62 miles per hour in just 2.9 seconds, which is quicker than the GT Black Series Coupe (3.1 seconds). It takes the four-door less than 10 seconds to hit 124 mph – a second-shy of the GT Black Series – and if you find the right road (read: Autobahn), the GT 63 S E Performance tops out at 196 mph (315 kmh).

Joining the already available drive modes on the GT 53 and GT 63 models – Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus, Race, and Slippery – the new Electric drive mode allows the S E Performance to cruise on pure battery power at speeds of up to 81 mph (130 kmh). On top of that, there's a four-stage regenerative braking system that ranges from Level 0 (disengaged) to Level 3 (one-pedal driving), with a track-only regenerative mode designed for performance.

Spoiler

2021-07-10_image_21c0479-043.jpg

As available on all other AMG GT 4-Door models, the GT 63 S E Performance receives AMG Ride Control plus, which includes an adaptive suspension with an air damping system. The suspension settings can be adjusted individually from the drive modes, or automatically adjust depending on the mode, and Mercedes says that engineers have further increased the spread between sportiness and comfort on this model.

Visually, not much changes on this S E Performance model compared to the traditional GT 63, but there are a few updated visuals to note. The front bumper now borrows cues from the GT coupe, the charging port – located on the rear bumper – blends into the sheet metal just below the taillights, and there are new 20- and 21-inch wheel options. The same similarities can be said of the cabin; the MBUX infotainment setup from all other GT models carries over, as does the new two-spoke steering wheel with haptic feedback buttons.

One thing Mercedes-AMG hasn't announced yet is the price. Currently, the GT 43 4-Door starts at $89,900 in the US, the GT 53 costs $99,950, and the GT 63 asks $140,600 – or $161,900 for the 63 S. We expect the S E Performance to sit at the top of the GT 4-Door range, so an MSRP of nearly $200,000 isn’t out of the question.

The Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S E Performance debuts in-person next week at the IAA Show in Munich, before going on sale in Europe and the US sometime later this year.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

6.1 kWh battery is really a joke with full electric range of 12km. That battery and range really only good for driving around to hunt for a parking lot. But probably having it onboard helps a lot for its WLTP emissions. But I digress, the whole point of this car isn't about being green anyway 😄

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Haha! 4

23 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

6.1 kWh battery is really a joke with full electric range of 12km. That battery and range really only good for driving around to hunt for a parking lot. But probably having it onboard helps a lot for its WLTP emissions. But I digress, the whole point of this car isn't about being green anyway 😄

That battery is for stop start la

• Haha! 2

Where in the car to find extra space for a bigger battery pack?

I think the existing battery pack is placed somewhere in the middle of the car bah. That is the only place left I can think of for them to place the battery pack. The twin turbo V8 is no small unit upfront, then there's the gearbox, a drive shaft to send power to the rear axle. The rear axel, fuel tank, boot and rear passenger seats take up most of the space in the rear.

It is better if there is an option to not have the battery pack and motor, just the twin turbo V8. That is good enough for me.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
13 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Where in the car to find extra space for a bigger battery pack?

I think the existing battery pack is placed somewhere in the middle of the car bah. That is the only place left I can think of for them to place the battery pack. The twin turbo V8 is no small unit upfront, then there's the gearbox, a drive shaft to send power to the rear axle. The rear axel, fuel tank, boot and rear passenger seats take up most of the space in the rear.

It is better if there is an option to not have the battery pack and motor, just the twin turbo V8. That is good enough for me.

Cannot. Maybe cannot pass the Euro 6 emission test. 🤣

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
10 minutes ago, Genes said:

Euro 7 kambing soon lol

I think next time when electric car popularise, they will vet electric car also.

EV 1Standard

EV 2Standard

EV3Standard. . . 🤣

6 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think next time when electric car popularise, they will vet electric car also.

EV 1Standard

EV 2Standard

EV3Standard. . . 🤣

Currently, there is a Euro standard for EV.  It is not call EV1 standard

😂

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
9 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Currently, there is a Euro standard for EV.  It is not call EV1 standard

😂

woah. have alrd ah? jialat. hahaha.

Internal Moderator
15 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

This 'EV' can only do 7miles on pure electric...

If I have a V8 inside my car, I will not bother turning it into EV mode. Waste the excitement leh. hahaha.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

If I have a V8 inside my car, I will not bother turning it into EV mode. Waste the excitement leh. hahaha.

I'm guessing its really only there for the sake of Euro 7 😁

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

I'm guessing its really only there for the sake of Euro 7 😁

You know I know can le. The agency no need to know. 🤣