How to Appeal to Extend 5year COE

Soonmunn

Hi all i bought a 2nd hand performance car several years from a owner who erroneously extended COE for 5 years. 

My intention originally was to just drive the car at this really cheap price till COE expiry and maybe export it.

But i have grown to love that V8 NA and its running gr8 so can i get advice on the 2 options below pls :

1) How do i appeal to LTA to allow a one time extension of the 5year COE. Fyi they already reject me 2 times. Is there some other avanue to appeal to?

2) How to export the car to a buyer in Malaysia or UK. I have 2 buyers interested in this car.

Thanks bros for your guidance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

28 minutes ago, Soonmunn said:

Hi all i bought a 2nd hand performance car several years from a owner who erroneously extended COE for 5 years. 

My intention originally was to just drive the car at this really cheap price till COE expiry and maybe export it.

But i have grown to love that V8 NA and its running gr8 so can i get advice on the 2 options below pls :

1) How do i appeal to LTA to allow a one time extension of the 5year COE. Fyi they already reject me 2 times. Is there some other avanue to appeal to?

2) How to export the car to a buyer in Malaysia or UK. I have 2 buyers interested in this car.

I remember there was one case who took the LTA to court but I do not know the outcome.

Fitvip i cant take LTA to court lol. I am hoping to visit them at their office to plead again. Just for a final one time 5yr extension.

I have another 2years plus to find a solution.

• Haha! 2

42 minutes ago, Soonmunn said:

You already said it, you bought the car at a cheap price. It is cheap for this reason. There is nothing you can do honestly.

• Praise 1

A motorist is taking the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to court in an apparent novel challenge, seeking an order that will allow him to keep his car after his one-off five-year certificate of entitlement (COE) renewal expired last year.

Mr Koh Lin Yee, 46, is seeking another five-year renewal or alternatively, wants a court order to replace his 2014 COE with a 10-year COE beginning from November 2014.

Under current rules, COEs for motor cars can be renewed for multiple 10-year terms with fees payable at the prevailing rates. But a motorist who opts for a five-year COE renewal of his car is only allowed to do so once, after which the car has to be deregistered and disposed of.

A High Court pre-trial conference on the case is due later this month.

Mr Koh is expected to present his grounds in due course in support of his court application to be heard in court chambers on a date to be fixed.

Allen & Gledhill lawyer Ramesh Selvaraj, representing LTA, declined to comment when contacted, explaining the matter is currently before the courts.

According to LTA's One Motoring website, the once-only five-year COE renewal applies to motor cars in both the above-1,600cc and below-1,600cc categories.

A five-year COE renewal would cost half that of a 10-year one and the sum payable varies in tandem with the prevailing quota premium (PQP).

A motorist has to pay the PQP for the respective vehicle category to renew the COE. The PQP is the moving average of COE prices in the previous three months at renewal.

For this month, the PQP for a motor car above 1600cc, like a Mercedes-Benz 200 for instance, was about $39,000 according to the website, while the PQP for the same category in November 2014 was $71,800.

This would mean that a five-year renewal for a COE bought in 2014 would cost about $35,000.

According to court papers he filed, Mr Koh is also seeking a court injunction to restrain LTA from seizing or disposing of his vehicle pending the outcome of the court's review of his COE renewal application.

He also wants the court to preserve all his rights to exercise a further renewal of the COE under current laws.

A vehicle not renewed has to be deregistered and disposed of by scrapping it, exporting it or storing it temporarily in a

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Soonmunn said:

Thanks Ct3833.  U give me hope. How old is the case n what was the outcome?

That fella had guts. 

Hi  I don't know the outcome  but I don't think he won the case.  I feel for you. But it is unlikely that LTA will lose the case because they cannot afford to set precedents regardless of the justification, otherwise they will have to deal with more appeals and court casese in future . It is why I renewed mine for 10 years so that I have more options from time to time.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/motorist-seeks-court-order-to-renew-5-year-coe

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 7

The writing is already on the wall and informed decision made. 

To appeal would only send a wrong precedence of the system in place. 

It is what it is. Better off saving your energy. 

• Praise 6

That’s why renew coe must garh garh renew zham nee

5 year ago coe high, renew need take loan

now renew is lower coe 

don’t go spend simi exhaust satki sport suspension, wings, gauge, all the look good sound good feel good stuff

keep money renew coe pay road tax insurance is the true way

• Praise 12
  • Haha! 3

Sorry to say, there is no hope. Your love for a car is not a valid reason. What if everybody goes to LTA and say they love their car too much to let it go? Enjoy the remaining 2 yrs and use the time to find out how you can export it rather than challenge LTA.

• Praise 7

Don't waste your energy to try to out smart the system. As far as money collection is concerned, trust the gahmen has the best of their best doing it. 

The worst of their worst are managing our road roads. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 4

16 minutes ago, Mustank said:

That’s why renew coe must garh garh renew zham nee

5 year ago coe high, renew need take loan

now renew is lower coe 

don’t go spend simi exhaust satki sport suspension, wings, gauge, all the look good sound good feel good stuff

But must see timing also... unless is:

- strictly for self use, wiith zero intention to sell off the vehicle later

- the vehicle really so good, surely won't regret the decision to renew

Otherwise, must see how much is the PQP to pay.

Last time i renewed when car reached 10 yr, PQP 58k... i bit bullet and paid.

Less than 3 yr later, cos car gave prob, so decided to replace. Hoped to sell it off since just forfeited PARF 2+ yr ago. But at that time the COE/PQP was hovering around 20k, so there was no taker for it... end up just traded in at scrap value... pain...

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

Export the car to MY to yourself.

And then import the car back to SG.

Do all the paperwork to import back the same car to SG

and make it all legal.

Simple.

:D

• Praise 4

Hmm...but for this case I don't think we shd blame it on the govt or its system.

I also wanted to appeal to Singapore Pools for a 4D winning slip which I had wanted to buy for Sat & Sun, but only bought Sat by mistake...and I really love my 4D 😅

It's now a test of your love for the car by dereg, not sure if need to export and import back in, then bid a fresh COE.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 8

42 minutes ago, Mustank said:

No!

Spend on exhaust satki sport suspension, wings, gauge

and save on parking by tailgating the front car out lah!

• Haha! 2

I have a solution for this.

Let anyone that has a 5 year COE renew but pay a penalty.

The penalty is pay the 5 year COE again but don't get another 5 years

or pay 5 years of today's COE whichever is the higher but also don't get another 5 years free

and also have to pay another 10 years COE at today's prices or the COE 5 years ago whichever is the higher but get the 10 years COE.

Everybody's a winner.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2