Dealer tweaked mileage. Previous owner showed me service records to prove this. What are my options?

goldennugget

15 hours ago, goldennugget said:

As per the title, i got a used car a few months ago. Mileage stated by dealer was about 60k km. A few months later the previous owner of the car saw me in a carpark and approached me to say that the car i'm driving was his previous car, and he was surprised at the low mileage. He sent me the official receipts and servicing records which clearly showed the mileage was 100k+ when he owned it, which means dealer tampered with the mileage back to 60k km. what are my options here? Should i confront the dealer?

I am curious. What car did you buy?

↡ Advertisement

10 hours ago, Comage said:

Bro, buy used car and you expect to invoke the 6-month lemon law, is like wanting to make a round trip to the moon. Unless you have a lot of money (or time) to burn, forget about it. There's a lot of horror stories of used car buyers wanting to invoke this law but end up in a suck-thumb situation simply coz the dealer gives 1,001 excuses that are valid and absolves them of any liability. 

I've gotten 2 used cars before and I never thought to invoke it. Just gotta ownself do your homework and weigh between the options to either:

1) repair it

Or

2) scrap it/sell it

I bought from a dealer who during the viewing phase, promised me a *solid* 1-year warranty!

Any engine problem - I cover for you Boss! Just bring it back to me!

I just gave him 3 x bags full of "orh OK" and checked it with the help of my mechanic. My mechanic said OK - and I bought based on the trust I had in my mechanic; not based on the dealer's engine warranty. 

I have never seen anyone invoke this law successfully, so you should treat any promises or clauses from dealers of used cars as non-existent. 

Buy a used car with the mindset of getting it "as-is" - but be contented that it is after all a machine, so you can bring it back to showroom condition if you really wanted to (depending on your budget). 

Have lah... i claimed repair on my gearbox 1 mth after i bought my ex-car from used car dealer. I asked the service advisor then, the repair was about 4k..

You have to get those third party workshop warranty back by insurance company. Cannot go for those 2nd hand car dealers' own workshop, you know whose the boss of those workshop. How to claim against them?

• Praise 1

Where got free for life one?

Everytime rub rub must pay one!

:D

8 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

don't take it too hard. 🙂 they wanna earn your money, not wanna make friend with you. So it is natural that you will encounter crook.

Next time you buy car from @Jamesc he won't bluff you one. hahah. If you can go his massage parlour for free for life. hahahah

• Haha! 2

When buying any used car, just treat is as odometer tampered. In this way, no need to be so stressed. Just send the car for a pre-purchase inspection to find out all faults. Get the dealer to rectify major ones before purchasing. 

• Praise 2

16 hours ago, goldennugget said:

As per the title, i got a used car a few months ago. Mileage stated by dealer was about 60k km. A few months later the previous owner of the car saw me in a carpark and approached me to say that the car i'm driving was his previous car, and he was surprised at the low mileage. He sent me the official receipts and servicing records which clearly showed the mileage was 100k+ when he owned it, which means dealer tampered with the mileage back to 60k km. what are my options here? Should i confront the dealer?

u lucky u got to know the truth. a dealer bought my car from SG Quotz and changed the mileage and sold it. too bad i cant find the new owner to inform him/her

Just see office got who rich want to buy new car one 

then you go ask that fellow to sell you his old car lor 

no agent fee 

office people can trust lah 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

13 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Credit where credit's due, they're smooooooooooth.

Why don't you just come out and say what you mean to say? Forgive me for saying this, but you're not as smoooooooth in getting your meaning across in an unambiguous way. 

18 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Unfortunately the government doesn't care. Nothing you can do unless you are really loaded and want to make a lose lose situation for both yourself and the dealer with a legal challenge.

In future you may want to buy cars that only have been fully serviced by the AD, and verify the mileage before purchasing...

Chenghu prefer us to buy new cars so it can make money from COEs

14 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Ah yes I also wanted to say the same, ERP 2.0 cumming! If got full time gps tracking then there can be mileage tagged to IU

It would not be fail safe. Driving to Malaysia leh [asumming border re-open)? Would the new IU track driving overseas ? I doubt.

52 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Why don't you just come out and say what you mean to say? Forgive me for saying this, but you're not as smoooooooth in getting your meaning across in an unambiguous way. 

It’s not unlike other posts in the past where some random new guy starts a post asking about a product that you’ve never heard before, and some other random new guy chimes in with a glowing review, and more new guys continue to give fantastic comments about it.

While I can’t say this for a fact and there is no way I can prove it, it would be very well executed if it were the case, and YouTube views, likes and subscriptions are the objective.

12 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

It’s not unlike other posts in the past where some random new guy starts a post asking about a product that you’ve never heard before, and some other random new guy chimes in with a glowing review, and more new guys continue to give fantastic comments about it.

While I can’t say this for a fact and there is no way I can prove it, it would be very well executed if it were the case, and YouTube views, likes and subscriptions are the objective.

I see. Thank you. It is entirely possible. But Carly is a brand I've heard of before, I just hadn't heard of this particular capability. 

To sum it up if mileage tampering is regulated, we will see

car actual market value $50,000.

people who have AD service want to sell $55,000

people who have high mileage only can sell $45,000

end of the day consumer is the one kana, dealer base on car condition buy car only. you want sell don't want sell the facts are there.

• Praise 1

50 minutes ago, Darevil said:

To sum it up if mileage tampering is regulated, we will see

car actual market value $50,000.

people who have AD service want to sell $55,000

people who have high mileage only can sell $45,000

end of the day consumer is the one kana, dealer base on car condition buy car only. you want sell don't want sell the facts are there.

isn't that how it's supposed to work? cars with low mileage, full records, good condition etc. can ask for a higher asking price as compared to cars which are not

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Where got free for life one?

Everytime rub rub must pay one!

You masseurs can rub on me BUT they must show that they are vaccinated and must test negative for covid-19.:D

8 hours ago, Jamesc said:

This is not the first thread on dishonest used car dealers 

and it will not be the last.

@JamescIs it okay to say 50 percent of used car dealers are dishonest, 25 percent are just okay ones, and 25 percent are fantastic ones?[rolleyes]:D

• Haha! 1