cheap cafe/restaurants during Covid

Wind30

Hi people,

Do you guys have any recommendations for restaurants that is Cheap and good for current 5 pax eating? I can't eat HC as a family of 4 so eating out at resturants.

My two goto place are

Buddy hoagies at AMK

So good Char chan Ting at Sinming. This one is really cheap and good. NO service charge, $6.50 for char siew rice, almost food court pricing. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Internal Moderator
31 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Hi people,

Do you guys have any recommendations for restaurants that is Cheap and good for current 5 pax eating? I can't eat HC as a family of 4 so eating out at resturants.

My two goto place are

Buddy hoagies at AMK

So good Char chan Ting at Sinming. This one is really cheap and good. NO service charge, $6.50 for char siew rice, almost food court pricing. 

Orange and teal? 🤣

https://mustsharenews.com/chee-soon-juan-cafe/

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 8

3 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Why dont you let ppl know what cuisine do you guys prefer and which part of sgp you wouldnt want to go?

but first has to define 'cheap' in his context [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

Hi people,

My two goto place are

Buddy hoagies at AMK

The bkt at Midview City is pricey for the amt so I won't bother.

Many small cafes and restaurants along Upper Thomson Rd near the newly opened TEL station Upper Thomson. Nearby is an old style, there for many years zi char/chicken rice restaurant (if you can call it that) called 南记. 

Small cafes, eateries around Novena MRT, opp the Catholic church (there is a hokkaido ramen and Filipino lechon shop), and Gold Hill Plaza.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

wonder if the dishes are named after our famous ministars and served with a fork poked right in the middle of the food. 😂

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

Hi people,

My two goto place are

Buddy hoagies at AMK

i like buddy hoagies. will usually eat there if im in AMK, or the thai food at the nearby coffeeshop. The TRS ramen is also very good. 

• Haha! 6

5 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

The bkt at Midview City is pricey for the amt so I won't bother.

Many small cafes and restaurants along Upper Thomson Rd near the newly opened TEL station Upper Thomson. Nearby is an old style, there for many years zi char/chicken rice restaurant (if you can call it that) called 南记. 

Small cafes, eateries around Novena MRT, opp the Catholic church (there is a hokkaido ramen and Filipino lechon shop), and Gold Hill Plaza.

I never try Nanji yet, probably going to. The chicken house I go to don’t allow 4 pac sitting…. 
Lots of cafe around Thomson but some of them not cheap or not nice 🙂 

22 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

but first has to define 'cheap' in his context [laugh]

I know IKEA(Alexandra) has cheap hot dogs, curry puffs and ice cream. If you want foc coffee the car showrooms are not far away.

Oh sorry, these are cheapskate eats.

But to be honest local cafe/restaurants have to pay really high rent. It is near impossible to find cheap.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

33 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Why dont you let ppl know what cuisine do you guys prefer and which part of sgp you wouldnt want to go?

Cheap and good cannot be too picky lah… I stay in amk area as seen from my two recommendations but maybe other people might find other recommendations useful

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I know IKEA(Alexandra) has cheap hot dogs, curry puffs and ice cream. If you want foc coffee the car showrooms are not far away.

But to be honest local cafe/restaurants have to pay really high rent. It is near impossible to find cheap.

So good char Chan ting at sinming is really cheap….  6.50, no service charge.

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator
12 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

woah. idea leh. I never tot of it! I shall do that when I am retiring! heheehehhehehe.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I never try Nanji yet, probably going to. The chicken house I go to don’t allow 4 pac sitting…. 
Lots of cafe around Thomson but some of them not cheap or not nice 🙂 

Nanji is old school chicken rice handed down by the father who has passed on more than 10 years ago. You'll see his grumpy faced son there. 

I've not tried the cafes around Upper Thomson TEL since I moved away some years back. But if you don't try, you won't know.

I read about a nice fish soup stall in Sin Min area beside VICOM, near the undertaker. But I've not tried it before.

Ban Leong zi char at Casuarina Rd is good. I like their mian sian, har jiong wings, stir fried lala with spring onions & chili. Zi char pricing.

But frankly, the hawker and KPT food around AMK/Sin Min/Upper thomson area are way better than the lower price range restaurants/cafes.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
10 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Ok. I will try if I am there. 

you'll need to choose your timing. the last time I was there 3 months back around 1pm on a Sat - super long Q. In the end, ate at the BKT next door - not worth it.

Turbocharged
30 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

wonder if the dishes are named after our famous ministars and served with a fork poked right in the middle of the food. 😂

i like buddy hoagies. will usually eat there if im in AMK, or the thai food at the nearby coffeeshop. The TRS ramen is also very good. 

Got strawberry ice cream named "SXL"? 🤣

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Song fa lor🤣

Song fa at Seletar Mall is also cheap and good. Healthy too as you can order vege and share a pork ribs. 

↡ Advertisement