cheap cafe/restaurants during Covid

Wind30

23 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I dont think Bei Sheng is from SSC. But all these predate me. 

The one u are referring to is in Midview City currently? 

There were two "thai-chinese" zhi char in sembawang and yishun. Bei Sheng is just almost all singaporean zi char. 

Yes, Just Acia is cheap and good. I got bit sick of eating it though (actually my wife), so i only eat it once a while now. Not much reason to go SSC nowadays.

Yes. They are the same. SSC has been renovated 2 times. i've been around the building since the original haunted form. lol. they first shift to the YS industrial park, then open a branch in Chong Pang. The YS one then closed and they open another one in Sin Ming. Bei Sheng is taste of thailand.

I always thought the one in YS taste better. 

↡ Advertisement

7 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Yes. They are the same. SSC has been renovated 2 times. i've been around the building since the original haunted form. lol. they first shift to the YS industrial park, then open a branch in Chong Pang. The YS one then closed and they open another one in Sin Ming. Bei Sheng is taste of thailand.

Yup. The one in Yishun had better food. 

39 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

I've eaten both before, the Yishun industrial park one also I ate before.

They may have been the same before. But it's must have been a really long long time ago. And since the yishun industrial park one was held by the founder, then it must be the chong pang one went it's separate ways.

Their menus are quite different. Their better dishes are also totally different.
Other than the pineapple fried rice which also taste totally different. 

To me, they are completely different. Other than this vague thai-chinese concept. 

To me i always call Bei Sheng the one at Chong Pang. Cos that's what they call themselves. the taste of thailand is only on google. Their store don't even have sign i believe.

The taste of thailand is the ex-yishun industrial one.

Edited by Lala81

38 minutes ago, Kklim said:

Yup. The one in Yishun had better food. 

If u want to say which one is more oily. The yishun industrial one win for sure. By several times. I eat the chong pang one cos not so oily when u dabao. 

If eat on the spot, the industrial park one was nicer. But lot of their stuff is deep fried. My kids don't really like to eat. 

14 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I've eaten both before, the Yishun industrial park one also I ate before.

They may have been the same before. But it's must have been a really long long time ago. And since the yishun industrial park one was held by the founder, then it must be the chong pang one went it's separate ways.

Their menus are quite different. Their better dishes are also totally different.
Other than the pineapple fried rice which also taste totally different. 

To me, they are completely different. Other than this vague thai-chinese concept. 

To me i always call Bei Sheng the one at Chong Pang. Cos that's what they call themselves. the taste of thailand is only on google. Their store don't even have sign i believe.

The taste of thailand is the ex-yishun industrial one.

Digged some info for you.

https://m.facebook.com/BSLTOT/photos/hey-everyone-been-a-long-time-we-have-update-would-like-to-apologises-the-branch/2362193223862700/

It was a family biz in SSC and somehow got split after they moved to ys industrial park. If I remember correctly they initially taste very similar. And the menu are similar too coz I always order the same things at both outlets. Lol.

5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

U, me same north based.

My favorite casual dining restaurant would be LeNu in Northpoint. Relatively inexpensive.

This Zhi char opposite chong pang should be considered their own restaurant, should be able to fit 5 pax. Air-conditioned.
More plain and simple cooking. I like their thai kway teow. Very light carb to eat.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Taste+of+Thailand+Yishun/@1.4308401,103.8291346,17.75z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xa2a1140700d1de57!2sFu+Shan+Seafood+(Chong+Pang)!8m2!3d1.4309286!4d103.828147!3m4!1s0x31da14707a17ac15:0x76fc1fec48c037bb!8m2!3d1.4300555!4d103.8279162

I like Le Nu 's spicy preserved veg fish soup noodle. Long time no eat. Last week went JEM but queue was too long. Ended up Rumah Sayang. 

17 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Digged some info for you.

https://m.facebook.com/BSLTOT/photos/hey-everyone-been-a-long-time-we-have-update-would-like-to-apologises-the-branch/2362193223862700/

It was a family biz in SSC and somehow got split after they moved to ys industrial park. If I remember correctly they initially taste very similar. And the menu are similar too coz I always order the same things at both outlets. Lol.

Ok lah. Enough discussion on them. 

If they are branches, then one side the cook is the opposite of the other side 

16 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I like Le Nu 's spicy preserved veg fish soup noodle. Long time no eat. Last week went JEM but queue was too long. Ended up Rumah Sayang. 

I'm OK with that one also. But they just use tilapia for the fish. So maybe my 3rd choice. I ate that a few times. But think without spicy options. 

Bamboo shoots, tofu with century egg, one Soya milk, one juice. 

Another place that I can order without looking at the menu. 

5 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Bei Sheng used to be in the old SSC. Standard dropped alot but I used to go there yearly for lou hei during CNY with my colleagues. i wont say that they are cheap though. 

I used to eat or tabao at this Bei Sheng too, standard indeed dropped especially since covid, maybe some of the cooks went back home. Now I go for my quick fix of thai food at Junction 9, authentic and price reasonable, love the thai-style pig trotter....

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Ahwhye said:

I used to eat or tabao at this Bei Sheng too, standard indeed dropped especially since covid, maybe some of the cooks went back home. Now I go for my quick fix of thai food at Junction 9, authentic and price reasonable, love the thai-style pig trotter....

Oh yes. I used to frequent the j9 Thai food. Their pineapple rice sux though. Lol. I love their Maggie mee appetizer with seafood. Can’t find it elsewhere. Other than their pineapple rice, the rest is not too bad.  But I don’t think they are cheap though. But overall I prefer nakhon kitchen further down the road. 

• Praise 2

14 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Oh yes. I used to frequent the j9 Thai food. Their pineapple rice sux though. Lol. I love their Maggie mee appetizer with seafood. Can’t find it elsewhere. Other than their pineapple rice, the rest is not too bad.  But I don’t think they are cheap though. But overall I prefer nakhon kitchen further down the road. 

haha, yes the pineapple rice is greasy and portion kinda small, but somehow my daughter like it. I like nakhon too, but I always went at the wrong timing at their busiest time. 😂

12 hours ago, Ahwhye said:

My first choice for Thai food: https://www.facebook.com/pokpokthaikitchen/

• Praise 1

Nakhon damn spicy lah.

Haha really full thai experience. I think I'm a moderate spice eater. But even then ... wah, their spicy basil or what is damn spicy.

12 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

this is the one near berries issit?

the 1st floor facing the road.

Turbocharged
23 hours ago, Kxbc said:

The bkt at Midview City is pricey for the amt so I won't bother.

Many small cafes and restaurants along Upper Thomson Rd near the newly opened TEL station Upper Thomson. Nearby is an old style, there for many years zi char/chicken rice restaurant (if you can call it that) called 南记. 

Small cafes, eateries around Novena MRT, opp the Catholic church (there is a hokkaido ramen and Filipino lechon shop), and Gold Hill Plaza.

actually I forgot about Thomson Plaza. Many small quaint cafes and eateries inside.

30 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

this is the one near berries issit?

the 1st floor facing the road.

Yup. I think is beside the muslim food shop. Come to think of it, the prata there is nice too. 😄