Commuter sustains injuries after SBS Transit bus applied emergency brakes

Fitvip

18 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Can dont suggest things that will cost fare hike? Haha...

Anyway which bus has seat belts? I have never come across.

Why not ask drivers to be considerate and not to cut in front of a bus?

Many foolish car drivers and motorcyclists anyhow cut in front of buses thinking they can make it. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

5 hours ago, Chucky2007 said:

@Kar_lover thought the report says car cut into the bus’ lane in front, hence the emergency brake. Bus has many cameras, doubt the media communications will anyhow say if that’s not the case.

anyway I know How it’s like to be at the receiving end as collateral damage of the accident for someone else selfish action.

7-8 years ago I was involved in an accident where a car cut into a truck pulling trailer dangerously, truck E brake causing the trailer to fish tail and the truck Wack into my car took my whole door out. The action of that a**hole cutting into the lane happened in front of me. Anyway my statement and truck driver statement tally and that reckless driver was penalised 9 points. 

the truck didn’t do anything wrong, I also didn’t do anything wrong. All that selfish prick driver fault. Good thing is no serious injury happened to me, truck driver or passenger. 

unfortunately for this case this selfish driver caused a passenger to be paralysed or in coma due to his selfish action 

I hope that in this case, the car driver will be penalised.
Because his action was the cause of the incident.

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

In Taiwan they don't have best in the world govt unlike here.... How cum how cum? 

Hope the car driver get jailed - too many like him/her changing lane abruptly (and presumably) without signalling. Let him rot there. 

Because they have to fight really hard to lead, unlike erm...:TT_TT:

RIP Uncle Siah ........ [:(] sue the bus driver and/or car driver GAO GAO ... knn [furious]

Thu, 16 September 2021, 7:21 pm

The elder Siah sustained multiple injuries after a service 175 bus driver applied emergency brakes to avoid an accident at North Bridge Road on 8 September, 2021. (PHOTOS: Siah Hwan Ling/Facebook)

SINGAPORE — An elderly commuter who sustained severe injuries when he fell in a bus after the driver braked hard died on Thursday morning (16 September).

Siah Keok Tiang, 68, had suffered multiple fractures that punctured his lungs and injuries to his head that led to bleeding in his brain. He was admitted to Tan Tock Seng Hospital's intensive care unit about a week ago.

His daughter, Siah Hwan Ling, broke the news of his death in a Facebook post at about 8am on Thursday.

"Sorry everyone, thank you for all the prayers. We really appreciate it. My father didn’t make it. He has passed away," she wrote.

The older Siah was onboard a service 175 bus at around noon last Wednesday, on his way home from the Sakyadhita-NKF Dialysis Centre at Upper Boon Keng Road when the incident occurred.

He was standing up from his seat near the front door, in preparation to alight at Bugis Cube along North Bridge Road, when the bus driver applied emergency brakes to avoid a car that had suddenly cut into its lane.

As a result, Siah lost his footing and was thrown forward.

The bus driver immediately stopped the vehicle and contacted SBS Transit’s Operations Control Centre, which summoned an ambulance that conveyed the man to a hospital.

The 43-year-old car driver was later arrested by the police for careless driving and causing grievous hurt.

In response to Yahoo News Singapore's media queries, Tammy Tan, SBS Transit senior vice president of corporate communications, said, "We are very sorry to learn of Mr Siah’s passing and are assisting the family during this difficult time."

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

RIP...

There are ppl suggesting to have seat belts in public buses. I am not saying I am against the idea but ppl do have the tendency to get up early and reach for the exit while the bus is in motion and approaching the coming bus stop. That was what happened to this elderly man. Perhaps the bus should come to a full stop then alighting passengers unbuckle seat belt and exit the bus. The culture is abit difficult to change and given the small space in the bus. Then there are also standing passengers. It is made more difficult when the bus is crowded. What I mean is there are pros and cons. If you wanna have the full safety for passengers in a bus you have to put up with others things that come with it.

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

一路好走。

That place is tricky because it’s full day bus lane and the side road is right after the bus stop.

genius right ? there are many more such beautiful bus lane markings around [nod]

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Othello said:

genius right ? there are many more such beautiful bus lane markings around [nod]

LTA scholars.

Right after the bus stop is the broken lines and then the side road.

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

RIP...

There are ppl suggesting to have seat belts in public buses. I am not saying I am against the idea but ppl do have the tendency to get up early and reach for the exit while the bus is in motion and approaching the coming bus stop. That was what happened to this elderly man. Perhaps the bus should come to a full stop then alighting passengers unbuckle seat belt and exit the bus. The culture is abit difficult to change and given the small space in the bus. Then there are also standing passengers. It is made more difficult when the bus is crowded. What I mean is there are pros and cons. If you wanna have the full safety for passengers in a bus you have to put up with others things that come with it.

Not practical. You don’t have seat belts on public buses except those longer journey ones without standing capacity. I know Korea and Japan have this. 

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

LTA scholars.

Right after the bus stop is the broken lines and then the side road.

Stupid road design and marking from these stupid LTA people. [thumbsdown]

Just now, 13177 said:

Stupid road design and marking from these stupid LTA people. [thumbsdown]

More of the bus lane markings than the road design. The side roads have always been there. 😁

But as @Jamesc always said, if thousands of cars used this area everyday without issue, why this car driver?

It’s always the nut behind the wheel!

• Haha! 1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:52 PM, 13177 said:

Think some private buses have seat belts.

But nobody wears it..

On the car rear seat, many older people still refuse to put on seat belts. 

Worst is parents with children let their children without belted up and playing behind.

We have seen many reckless driving behaviors in the reckless driver thread, but many might be unaware that a sudden brake in front of a heavy vehicle, including public bus, can result in serious injury or even fatality. That reckless driver will be in guilt for the rest of his life for killing the old man. 

Elderly passenger who fell in SBS Transit bus dies after week-long struggle in hospital

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/elderly-man-who-fell-on-bus-dies-after-week-long-struggle-in-hospital

eb-manaccident-091621.jpg

SINGAPORE - A grandfather of five, Mr Siah Keok Tiang, 68, was an independent man who loved his family deeply. But on Sept 8, the elderly man was involved in an accident that left him fighting for his life. He died on Thursday morning (Sept 16) at around 7am, after a week-long struggle that has left his family distraught.

Mr Siah was on bus service 175 at about 11.50am on Sept 8, and was on his way home from the Sakyadhita-NKF Dialysis Centre in Upper Boon Keng Road. The bus was on North Bridge Road and neared the stop at Bugis Cube, where he was going to alight, when it braked suddenly as a car purportedly cut into its lane. Mr Siah, who was in the first seat near the front door, had just stood up when he was flung forward.

The driver immediately stopped the bus and the Singapore Civil Defence Force was called. The police later arrested the 43-year-old car driver for careless driving and causing grievous hurt.

• Praise 3
  • Sad 1

Death of elderly man thrown forward after bus abruptly braked was misadventure: Coroner

SINGAPORE: A coroner ruled on Wednesday (Aug 10) that the death of a 68-year-old passenger who fell inside a bus was a misadventure.

Mr Siah Keok Tiang was thrown forward when the bus he was in abruptly braked to avoid a collision. He died eight days after the incident on Sep 8, 2021.

His cause of death was ischaemic heart disease with multi-organ failure and the contributory cause of head injury. His injuries were consistent with those from a road traffic accident.

State Coroner Adam Nakhoda said there were lessons for drivers to learn from the incident, which he called "unfortunate".

Mr Siah was returning home from dialysis treatment on SBS Transit bus 175 when the incident happened along North Bridge Road.

He had pressed the bell indicating he wanted to alight. He was sitting on the edge of his seat at the front left side of the bus and holding onto a pole at the time.

The bus was travelling in the extreme left lane, which was the bus lane. A car on the way to pick up a food delivery was travelling ahead of the bus in the lane to the right of the bus lane.

The car driver wanted to turn left into Liang Seah Street. He switched on his left indicator light before the junction of Tan Quee Lan Street. This was about one street before the turn into Liang Seah Street.

The judge noted that the broken yellow line, which indicated where vehicles could filter in and out of the bus lane, started near the entrance of Tan Quee Lan Street.

But in-vehicle camera footage from both vehicles showed that the car only started to filter into the bus lane when it was very close to the entrance of Liang Seah Street, said the judge.

He said that drivers should always signal their intentions early, and noted that the car driver did in this case.

"But car drivers should also make sure they get their vehicles into position to execute their intended turn early rather than wait," said Judge Nakhoda.

He said that if the car had filtered into the bus lane earlier, as soon as or shortly after the broken yellow line started, this may have given the bus driver more time to slow down and react.

An investigation officer testified that there was no evidence that either vehicle was travelling above the speed limit of 50 kmh along that stretch of North Bridge Road.

The bus driver gave evidence that he was about three to four car lengths' distance from the entrance to Liang Seah Street and looking in front when he noticed the car cutting into his lane.

He applied the brakes to avoid a collision, while the car swerved back into the lane to the right of the bus lane.

Both vehicles stopped after the near-collision and the drivers briefly spoke. The car then drove off and the bus driver called SBS Transit to report the incident.

Paramedics arrived to take Mr Siah, who was semi-conscious and lying on the ground at the front of the bus, to the hospital.

Apart from head injuries, he also suffered rib fractures and neck injuries. His condition deteriorated and he died on Sep 16, 2021.

The hearing at the State Courts was attended by Mr Siah's daughter and two sons.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/bus-abrupt-brake-man-thrown-forward-died-north-bridge-road-2871791

Edited by Raubern
  • Sad 5

20 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

more to come. just try to take a bus and see how they drive. Most of bus drivers seems to be very grumpy.....

True, nowadays take bus really must hold tight tight to the pole esp when you are standing in the bus, cause bus drivers can anyhow brake or jerk the bus, and you can lost your balance even for youngsters.

50 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

more to come. just try to take a bus and see how they drive. Most of bus drivers seems to be very grumpy.....

I will be grumpy too if everyday i have to deal with:

1) other vehicles suddenly filter into my buslane,

2) trying to navigate pass cyclists in heavy traffic condition when it is my buslane and

3) all the while have to entertain these cyclists shouting at me that AMAP say they allowed to cycle in bus lane during peak hours while other vehicles cannot. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1