Camera or mobile phone?

Discoburg

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

How cum you had to go so low...i mean low angle...槟榔妹 had to do squat for you...i tink her best angle was at the neck level...or was trying to under cover...i mean cover her under...😁

Like the matching hair highlight and heels...

I was trying to get a photo of the scooter lah

but that young lady won't get out of my way

and spoilt my shot.

:D

See lah now can only see a bit of the scooter.

image.png.cc6208d6f94cc47b0107571d0ef6cec4.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6

Camera phone good enough for 99% of people.

Unless u have specific needs, bird or insects photography, or need flash photography in suboptimal lighting. 

I also can't be bothered to edit my photos anymore. no time.
Few months back, i lost my catalogues for Lightroom. Sian. Some of the vacation photos, i edited until half way gone. RAW images of course all still there. but mlmlwml.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

Instead of using digital SLR, my daughter start playing with a old heavy film SLR camera 2 years ago. 

Took by her using an old Nikon FM SLR.

Screenshot_20210911-124723_Instagram_copy_1065x1352.jpg

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 14

If you need long range shots then you need a big lens camera like this

image.thumb.png.843ee32b1a5ce1ad660dccdd8de4a0a1.png

image.png.ac7e75333b5f717d60a784f8cae81d39.png

But if you only had this then you can only get this kind of shots.

image.thumb.png.6037ba76bf0f0bcd748065bd154029ee.png

image.thumb.png.1199edce62541b0228a99f7f121e81b1.png

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

22 hours ago, Discoburg said:

Does it make more sense to use a mobile phone like an iPhone 12 to take photos during vacation instead of a digital camera now?

I guess it all depends on what kind of shots you want to take. And how strong you are I guess. If hx99, I rather use phone as the delta is not that big.

there is a reason why compact camera is dying out. 

I still lug my two Sony cameras a9 and a7iii on my recent cruise… main adv is high frame rate and dynamic range. 

• Praise 5
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

I guess it all depends on what kind of shots you want to take. And how strong you are I guess. If hx99, I rather use phone as the delta is not that big.

there is a reason why compact camera is dying out. 

I still lug my two Sony cameras a9 and a7iii on my recent cruise… main adv is high frame rate and dynamic range. 

Info duly noted.

For photographer yes... But general members, camera phone will do. Lugging a huge camera like you going to miss out the activities part of the tour.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

In bright outdoors, sometimes I can't see what's on the handphone screen to be able to decide if the shot is framed properly. A camera with view finder does not have this issue. 

• Praise 4

55 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

In bright outdoors, sometimes I can't see what's on the handphone screen to be able to decide if the shot is framed properly. A camera with view finder does not have this issue. 

Thats true.

For me, the direct appeal for using mobile is hassle-free post-processing by in-built AI algo, where heavy editing now becomes a quick whim especially you need 'em fast. 

That said, I'm not ditching my DSLR yet, with deciding factor is the subject topic  (e.g. local vs overseas travel). Other considerations include:

1. Lens versatility (think macro, tilt-shift, fish-eye, high optic zoom, neutral density, polariser, and other specialty lenses.).

2. Sensor size (think full-frame; dynamic range)

3. Resolution (driven largely by prints, but there are some mobile models catching up in the megapix war)

4. Stability (this is actually a personal preference cultivated by years of conditioning, though I have to acknowledge that built-in optics stabilisers between these medium have also blurred the distinction).

• Praise 6

4 hours ago, Ender said:

For photographer yes... But general members, camera phone will do. Lugging a huge camera like you going to miss out the activities part of the tour.

I have been lugging RX-1 for my holiday 

😄

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

21 hours ago, Ender said:

Exactly. In your travel, do you consider composition, which angle to shoot? Do you wait/plan for the right light for the photo? Do you try to capture the right moment for candid shot?

if you do, the answer is pretty obvious as a proper camera will help u a lot.

If what you want is just a family photo that says I have been here, then a phone is more than adequate. 

• Praise 4

19 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I have been lugging RX-1 for my holiday 

😄

I got my different stuffs for different situation I want to be. Small to big, Canon G16 with a small flash to be mobile and my L-Lenses (28-70/70-200) with EOS5D3 and EZ-540 flash as necessary. For the fun of it. If at the right place with the right equipment, you can create nice pics that mobile phone cannot achieve one

• Praise 4

Till the day digital zoom can replace optical zoom. Sensor size is still something technology has yet to overcome. Yes, if you really want good photo, you just need that FF camera. 

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Freeder said:

I don't know about this. But for the HW phones, the "Leica" is licensed by them and HW is the one develop the camera and put the name there only.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:06 PM, Jamesc said:

I was trying to get a photo of the scooter lah

but that young lady won't get out of my way

and spoilt my shot.

See lah now can only see a bit of the scooter.

image.png.cc6208d6f94cc47b0107571d0ef6cec4.png

Not her fault.
It's your poor composition of the scene.
You could crop her away from the framing.
Or you could move to another spot to frame the scooter better.
:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2