Continental's New Sustainable Tire Concept Revealed At Munich

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

continental-conti-greenconcept-revealed-

The German brand aims to be the most progressive tire company by 2030.

Source: https://www.motor1.com/photo/6120327/continental-conti-greenconcept-revealed-at-munich/

Almost all car brands are on the road to sustainable mobility, emissions-free motoring, and the likes. Even tire companies, such as Continental, have also committed to becoming the most progressive tire company by 2030 in terms of ecological and social responsibility.

To serve this goal, Continental introduced its Conti GreenConcept at the Munich Motor Show, amid the bevy of electric vehicles showcased at the relocated Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA). The German tire company also supplied sustainable tires for the VW ID. LIFE concept city car.

Spoiler

The Conti GreenConcept, however, isn't limited to just presenting a new tire alone. The concept embodies the goal to minimize resource consumption across every link in the tire's value chain. That said, the tire concept is sustainable down to the very core, including sourcing and procurement of raw materials, even up to the ways to extend the tire's service life.

According to Continental, more than half of the raw materials used are either recycled or from renewable sources. A good 35 percent of the Conti GreenConcept also uses renewable materials. Among the bio-materials used are natural rubber from dandelions, silicate from the ash of rice husks, and vegetable oils and resins – all leading to a significant reduction in materials based on crude oil.

The Conti GreenConcept also uses 17 percent recycled materials, including reclaimed steel and recovered carbon black, as well as polyester from recycled plastic bottles for the tire's casing. Called the ContiRe.Tex technology, the company will be gradually rolling this out by 2022.

Lastly, the rubber used for the Conti GreenConcept tread compound is 100 percent Taraxagum natural rubber, which allows multiple retreading. The green-colored tread baseline marks the transition from tread to casing. Undamaged casings can be reused several times.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

The German brand aims to be the most progressive tire company by 2030.

Source: https://www.motor1.com/photo/6120327/continental-conti-greenconcept-revealed-at-munich/

Almost all car brands are on the road to sustainable mobility, emissions-free motoring, and the likes. Even tire companies, such as Continental, have also committed to becoming the most progressive tire company by 2030 in terms of ecological and social responsibility.

To serve this goal, Continental introduced its Conti GreenConcept at the Munich Motor Show, amid the bevy of electric vehicles showcased at the relocated Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA). The German tire company also supplied sustainable tires for the VW ID. LIFE concept city car.

Hide contents

The Conti GreenConcept, however, isn't limited to just presenting a new tire alone. The concept embodies the goal to minimize resource consumption across every link in the tire's value chain. That said, the tire concept is sustainable down to the very core, including sourcing and procurement of raw materials, even up to the ways to extend the tire's service life.

According to Continental, more than half of the raw materials used are either recycled or from renewable sources. A good 35 percent of the Conti GreenConcept also uses renewable materials. Among the bio-materials used are natural rubber from dandelions, silicate from the ash of rice husks, and vegetable oils and resins – all leading to a significant reduction in materials based on crude oil.

The Conti GreenConcept also uses 17 percent recycled materials, including reclaimed steel and recovered carbon black, as well as polyester from recycled plastic bottles for the tire's casing. Called the ContiRe.Tex technology, the company will be gradually rolling this out by 2022.

Lastly, the rubber used for the Conti GreenConcept tread compound is 100 percent Taraxagum natural rubber, which allows multiple retreading. The green-colored tread baseline marks the transition from tread to casing. Undamaged casings can be reused several times.

in the end the main focus is still rethreading, which is around for a very long time esp for commerical vehicle. 

• Praise 3

18 minutes ago, Beregond said:

in the end the main focus is still rethreading, which is around for a very long time esp for commerical vehicle. 

Makes sense. We only wear out perhaps 10% of the tyre. Otherwise it is like throwing away your water bottle after you water is consumed. 

Wait - we are doing that with bottled water! 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Makes sense. We only wear out perhaps 10% of the tyre. Otherwise it is like throwing away your water bottle after you water is consumed. 

Wait - we are doing that with bottled water! 

but it require alot of effort to rethread tyres also. not to mention there are alot of safety concern. esp car go very high speed imagine in germany they easily hit 200+

and the main issue is the initial cost of the tyres will be extremely expensive, because they need to build the body extra strong to withstand the reuse. 

alot of local transport company have their own tyre rethread centre in sg, last time they call it cooking the tyres. 

• Haha! 2

The basic assumption (and requirements) is that the "remanufactured" tyres are as safe as the traditional ones. Not like those current technology where we see the thread layers peel off and drop into the road! 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

38 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

What so green?

I have been recycling tyres for my MIL cars for as long as I can remember.

:D

I am just waiting for one rainy day!

What a waste! For your mil, you should have recycled! Just use until they go naked!😂😂

• Haha! 2

I support anything that could help making things greener, recently bought rubber refiling strip for wiper,  they are so cheap and it is  more environmentally  friendly than replacing the whole set. So far so good. The original ones cost me $75 per set but did not give me incremental happiness 🤣🤣🤣

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Jamesc said:

What so green?

I have been recycling tyres for my MIL cars for as long as I can remember.

:D

I am just waiting for one rainy day!

Now I get the actual meaning of saving for a rainy day... It refers to those botak tyres. Don't throw away! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2