Can't shift car out of park position (Suzuki Swift 2009)

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

As per title, I can't shift my car out of park position and so I've been using the shift lock override to shift it out of park for the past one week. Googled around and found a few possibilities for this. Wondering if this is a common problem. Car is currently at my workshop getting diagnosed.

1. Incline Induced Pawl Pressure - happens when your car is parked on an incline, not for my case

2. Brake switch failure - I checked and my brake lights are working as they should

3. Faulty Shift Interlock Solenoid

4. Malfunctioning Ignition Switch

5. Open circuit in the shift interlock electrical system

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

As per title, I can't shift my car out of park position and so I've been using the shift lock override to shift it out of park for the past one week. Googled around and found a few possibilities for this. Wondering if this is a common problem. Car is currently at my workshop getting diagnosed.

1. Incline Induced Pawl Pressure - happens when your car is parked on an incline, not for my case

2. Brake switch failure - I checked and my brake lights are working as they should

3. Faulty Shift Interlock Solenoid

4. Malfunctioning Ignition Switch

5. Open circuit in the shift interlock electrical system

Remind me of my Daewoo car of many many years ago one day its auto transmission lever couldn't shift out of P and I had to unlatch it.
Thereafter I just left it in N and pulled hand brake.

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Remind me of my Daewoo car of many many years ago one day its auto transmission lever couldn't shift out of P and I had to unlatch it.
Thereafter I just left it in N and pulled hand brake.

So you just left it as it is. Power. I can't switch mine off in Neutral. But it's not a big problem because I can use the shift lock override but it sure is annoying. Anyway, apparently it's a small fix, was charged a total of $40 including rear view camera installation lol. 

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

So you just left it as it is. Power. I can't switch mine off in Neutral. But it's not a big problem because I can use the shift lock override but it sure is annoying. Anyway, apparently it's a small fix, was charged a total of $40 including rear view camera installation lol. 

I’m more shocked with this than the first post…only $40!? PM workshop you must😁

• Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

May be cars after year 2000 can only turned off ignition when auto transmission is shifted to P as a safety precaution.

In the 1990s or early 2000s some cars might not be so.

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

It's probably a really quick fix that's why no charges incurred. The $40 must be for the rear camera labor only. I got them to swap my front camera to the rear, then installed a new one which I bought online for the front.

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Wah lau... obviously is chio bu privilege, $40 chio bu u must 😁..

• Haha! 1

21 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

It's probably a really quick fix that's why no charges incurred. The $40 must be for the rear camera labor only. I got them to swap my front camera to the rear, then installed a new one which I bought online for the front.

Did the workshop consult you before going ahead with the quick fix? Quick fix but still must ensure it's safe... 

They may have made the shift lock override permanent.. just guessing.. 

• Praise 2

40 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

What was the workshop's diagnosis that the gear lever was stuck at P position?

Internal Moderator
29 minutes ago, Soundphile said:

Did the workshop consult you before going ahead with the quick fix? Quick fix but still must ensure it's safe... 

They may have made the shift lock override permanent.. just guessing.. 

24 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

What was the workshop's diagnosis that the gear lever was stuck at P position?

@Soundphile @DOBIEMKZ

Of course. I meant quick fix as a small problem. Maybe some brake switch wiring loose or what. Not in a shortcut context not to worry.The boss of the workshop is an ex-client/personal friend of mine so I left the car there this morning and went back to work. I haven't collect so I don't know what's the fault yet. I'll update here after collecting the car. 

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

It could be just a $0.50 fuse replacement.

Damn stupid. So a few months back I installed legroom light on my own and didn't stuff the wires back properly so it was pressing on the cable that would allow me to shift out of park. I didn't get the technical term of it but it sounded something like that. 😶 They didn't charge for it. 

• Haha! 6

18 hours ago, Watwheels said:

It could be just a $0.50 fuse replacement.

A fuse blow by replacing it without knowing the reason is not a good idea.

It can be caused by aging wire or parts that are drawing higher current. Worst still if some workshop go and change to a higher rating fuse to prevent it from blowing without finding the actual root cause. This can become a fire hazard.

↡ Advertisement