Carousell is a 🦄 too. 🦄🦄🦄 everywhere.

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

103833078-Carousell_co-founders_group_shot1.thumb.jpg.7d4a30f02f4d4fe3cc51951dc0aeeb4e.jpg

CAROUSELL has joined the unicorn club. The Singapore-based online classifieds startups on Wednesday raised US$100 million in fresh funds that valued it at US$1.1 billion, making it the city-state's latest tech startup to be worth more than a billion dollars.

The fund-raise was led by South Korean private equity firm STIC, and bumped up Carousell's valuation slightly from the US$900 million recorded in its previous round last year.

The city-state has seen more unicorns popping up on its shores this year, as it positions itself to capture South-east Asia's rising tech wave. Other newly-minted members in Singapore's growing unicorn club include IP analytics startup PatSnap, fintech company Nium and car marketplace Carro. Like Carousell, some of these companies have benefited from the surge of online activity and transactions on their platform amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Carousell, led by co-founder and chief executive Quek Siu Rui, has raised US$100 million in a funding round led by South Korean private equity firm STIC. It is now the city-state's latest unicorn.

CAROUSELL has joined the unicorn club. The Singapore-based online classifieds startups on Wednesday raised US$100 million in fresh funds that valued it at US$1.1 billion, making it the city-state's latest tech startup to be worth more than a billion dollars.

The fund-raise was led by South Korean private equity firm STIC, and bumped up Carousell's valuation slightly from the US$900 million recorded in its previous round last year.

The city-state has seen more unicorns popping up on its shores this year, as it positions itself to capture South-east Asia's rising tech wave. Other newly-minted members in Singapore's growing unicorn club include IP analytics startup PatSnap, fintech company Nium and car marketplace Carro. Like Carousell, some of these companies have benefited from the surge of online activity and transactions on their platform amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Carousell is also said to be considering a public listing in the United States through a merger with a special-purpose acquisition company (SPAC), Bloomberg reported in June. US SPAC or not, an exit could materialise for Carousell soon. Regulatory filings indicate that the Singapore-based company aims to provide its investors with an exit by 2024, at a valuation of at least US$1.13 billion.

The company, which has a platform that allows users to buy and sell items ranging from clothes to houses, plans to spend the money on "deepening its investments" across more categories of pre-owned goods and markets, said co-founder and chief-executive Quek Siu Rui. It is also exploring acquisitions to scale up the business.

Carousell has been busy. In April, it ventured into the highly competitive space of used-car sales, where it said it has plans to invest aggressively in. The company cited this vertical, as its largest one, contributing a third of revenue. Other more established used-car marketplaces include unicorns Carro and Carsome.

Founded in 2012, Carousell has a presence in eight markets across South-east Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Its growing investor list includes names such as Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver and Sequoia Capital India. The startup said it currently has "tens of millions" of monthly active users.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/garage/carousell-raises-us100m-enters-unicorn-club-at-us11b-valuation

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Its called Carou-Hell for a reason. Someone lowlballed me for my apartment and when I politely declined his offer he said he would report me to the admins - sorry but your lack of financial ability is not an offence on my part.

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 4

3 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

i put up my bedside table for sale in carousell for 20 bucks. ppl lowball me for 10 bucks. pui

Lucky people never offer you $2.

Its happens a lot!

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

11 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

i put up my bedside table for sale in carousell for 20 bucks. ppl lowball me for 10 bucks. pui

At least people decided to offer you some money.

Some came back and ask if they can self pick up for free.

:XD:

• Shocked 3
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

That's considered not too bad already haha. Its called Carouhell for a reason but I think it's down to user behavior more than platform. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Let make MCF the next 🦄🦄🦄so that we can convert our MCF points into a lot of $.🤣🤣

If every MCF user donate $100 to us unconditionally and no questions asked, we may make it to unicorn status haha. 😆

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Carousel, unicorn, what's new? :D:D

1eab833686d91295ef8ebe4a09ebb1a9.jpg

The-Kingsport-Carousel-Unicorn.jpg

Stuff of MY nightmares. Perfect setting for a horror movie. 

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Its called Carou-Hell for a reason. Someone lowlballed me for my apartment and when I politely declined his offer he said he would report me to the admins - sorry but your lack of financial ability is not an offence on my part.

Perfectly Singaporean. Everything also complain. 

• Haha! 1

34 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

At least people decided to offer you some money.

Some came back and ask if they can self pick up for free.

:XD:

Oh and that too. when i put up my used sofa and fridge for sale. tmd. 

then i realized used sofa very hard to sell. lol. 

10 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Stuff of MY nightmares. Perfect setting for a horror movie. 

Reminds me of the scene in silent hill 3. 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.7a8bcec043f12365bd2894a2d1364991.jpg

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Reminds me of the scene in silent hill 3. 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.7a8bcec043f12365bd2894a2d1364991.jpg

Exactly what I was talking about!

4 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

wah lao.. wrong lah.. you should put up your used panties for sale. that one very fast and people bid up some more.

... oh sorry, i tot i was replying to bb post.. sorry sorry..🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2