Let's talk about Vaccine Booster Shots

therock

Pfizer is 30 mcg per shot and booster is 15 mcg

So 2 Pfizer shots is 60 mcg and the booster of 15 total is 75 mcg

One shot of Moderna is already 100 mcg and two shots is 200 mcg

I am not sure I need a booster with 200 mcg in my body

as I am not yet 65 and not on an immunosuppressed medicines.

Moderna booster is another 50 mcg so if I went for the booster I will have 250 mcg

I wonder if that is too much.

:D

“It takes less antigen to trigger an existing immune response than it does to create one from scratch,” Richard Kennedy, PhD, professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic and co-director of the Vaccine Research Clinic, tells Verywell. “What they try to do with most medicines, including vaccines, is find the smallest dose they can get away with and have the strongest response.”

In biology, he says, more isn’t always better. The goal of the vaccine is to introduce enough antigen—molecules that kick the immune system into gear—so that the body can create sufficient antibodies to fight an infection.

Loading the body with too much antigen, however, may lessen the competition from immune cells to produce the most specialized antibodies, potentially decreasing vaccine efficacy.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/moderna-half-dose-booster-5200546

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Not at this moment. Probably year end when more elders have gotten their booster.

Think not easy to decide if elderly should go for their booster shot now, esp when the virus is everywhere now, death rate is high, most elderly from 2nd dose until now might already 6 months or more and also they are the most high risk group.

Quarter-dose of Moderna COVID vaccine still rouses a big immune response

In the earliest trial of Moderna’s mRNA-based vaccine, study participants received one of three dose levels: 25, 100 or 250 micrograms. The top dose proved too toxic. The low dose elicited the weakest immune response. The middle dose seemed to offer the best balance: it triggered strong immunity and had acceptable side effects.

That 100-microgram dose ultimately became the one authorized for mass use in dozens of countries. But Moderna scientists later showed that a half-dose seemed to be just as good as the standard dose at stimulating immune protection4.

To find out whether a low dose might offer protection, scientists analysed blood from 35 participants in the original trial. Each had received two 25-microgram jabs of vaccine 28 days apart.

Six months after the second shot, nearly all of the 35 participants had ‘neutralizing’ antibodies, which block the virus from infecting cells, the researchers reported in a preprint published on 5 July1. Participants’ blood also contained an armada of different T cells, both ‘killer’ cells that can destroy infected cells and a variety of ‘helper’ cells that aid in general immune defence.

Wow some participants in the trial got 250 mcg so 2 dose is 500 mcg?

In the earliest trial of Moderna’s mRNA-based vaccine, study participants received one of three dose levels: 25, 100 or 250 micrograms. The top dose proved too toxic.

To find out whether a low dose might offer protection, scientists analysed blood from 35 participants in the original trial. Each had received two 25-microgram jabs of vaccine 28 days apart.

Six months after the second shot, nearly all of the 35 participants had ‘neutralizing’ antibodies, which block the virus from infecting cells, the researchers reported in a preprint published on 5 July1. Participants’ blood also contained an armada of different T cells, both ‘killer’ cells that can destroy infected cells and a variety of ‘helper’ cells that aid in general immune defence.

Levels of both antibodies and T cells were comparable to those found in people who have recovered from COVID-19.

“It is quite remarkable — and quite promising — that you can easily detect responses for that long a time,” says Daniela Weiskopf, an immunologist at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology (LJI) in California and a co-author of the study, which has not yet been peer reviewed.

Corine Geurts van Kessel, a clinical virologist at the Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, who was not involved in the study, agrees. “It’s rather good news,” she says. “Even with a low dose, you can prime your own immune system in quite a nice way.”

17 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Think not easy to decide if elderly should go for their booster shot now, esp when the virus is everywhere now, death rate is high, most elderly from 2nd dose until now might already 6 months or more and also they are the most high risk group.

More so like peers pressure. 

Anyway my mum typical old folk with high blood and high cholesterol. Fortunate her first two does back in March weren't of much issue. No side effect. Hope this 3rd booster would be the same. Same like first two doses. Pifzer.

• Praise 3

3 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Anyway my mum typical old folk with high blood and high cholesterol. Fortunate her first two does back in March weren't of much issue. No side effect. Hope this 3rd booster would be the same. Same like first two doses. Pifzer.

Don’t worry. My dad first 2 shots, no side effects.

Brought him for booster shot last week, no effect too.

All Pfizer.

• Praise 2

11 minutes ago, Kopites said:

More than 7 months liao. Think it's about time for a booster for old folks. Younger one still can drag till 8 or 9 months..

• Praise 3

19 minutes ago, Kopites said:

If your mum took the jab yesterday morning, if today no side effects, then more or less should be ok liao. Peer pressure and many negative news on covid can scare these elderly lo. Dont say about elderly, even people who is less than 60 year old, i already heard many have went to took their booster shot liao.

• Praise 2

30 minutes ago, Kopites said:

for most of the old folk I know of, none has any effect, no feel, my mum was a heart attack and cancer relapse patient also no feel.

only younger people have all kind of pattern [sweatdrop]

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

33 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Don’t worry. My dad first 2 shots, no side effects.

Brought him for booster shot last week, no effect too.

All Pfizer.

My parents also had their booster shot last month.  Both on Pfizer.  No side effect and they are in the 80s.

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

for most of the old folk I know of, none has any effect, no feel, my mum was a heart attack and cancer relapse patient also no feel.

only younger people have all kind of pattern [sweatdrop]

I like you.

You are absolutely right.

"Young one have all kind of pattern" 

At first when vaccines were new

all the young people with reaction we thought young people so weak one not tough like us old foggies.

Then we knew reactions are good because it means the body is going into overdrive building antibodies.

Now if we old people get reactions we so happy because it means we have great immunity!

Things change when we get real information and not just we think one!

But when old people well one old person

say she no reactions because she eat more salt than I get rice

I just keep quiet!

Let her think what she wants lah.

No reactions means very little aunty busy bodies!

4 hours ago, Ender said:

More than 7 months liao. Think it's about time for a booster for old folks. Younger one still can drag till 8 or 9 months..

Might also worth to check the antibody level first before go for booster shot for lower risk group.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2