Driving glasses

Gnahp

@mersaylee 

my wife is 2 years older than me but my body and health deteriorate much earlier than her

I guess I will be the one who die first 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

15 hours ago, Kxbc said:

Not sure if my experience will help you.

I have been shortsighted since sec school and develop some signs of presbyopia a few years ago. Went to the optician who told me it is still a mild case and she prescribed what she called "digital lenses" - It's like kindergarten progressive lenses. I googled but still do not know what it is till today. The adjustment to this pair of glasses was super easy as it was almost like normal short sightedness lenses. Got used to it within a day or 2.

Wore it for a few years and presbyopia got worse. Checked again this Apr and she told me I need to move on to progressive lenses. It was quite a challenge getting used to it as my brain needs to readjust. Because of the design of the lenses, the objects on the side will appear not in focus if you just glance, eg when you are glancing at the side mirrors. Looking in front was much easier to adjust to, except that I think the near distance focusing was done a bit too high up such that I might need to dip my head just a little to look at far distances. Dashboard was super clear.

I did not have much confidence driving using them and I switched back to my old lenses for driving for maybe 1 month. Normal day to day activity was ok. No headache etc. Just needed a wee bit of adjustment here and there.

After about 1 month of adjustment, my brain and eyes got used to the progressive lenses. I am now able to drive confidently using it. Even the objects when I glance into the right rear view mirror look clear and sharp.

Only bad thing about progressives is that it is damn expensive. My lenses cost me $600 or more for the thinnest lenses and with blue light protection (this one is cheaper at $50). And you need frames with a bigger "hole" to max the benefits of progressive lenses.

Hi, the so call out-of-focus at the side can be minimize by using higher index lens, the fact that you are using those $600 lens suggests that the lens may not be high index enough, try the $1,000 range type of lens, you should like it better.  A pair of $1000+  glass  will last you for a few years, that is about 1 month  of a car depre write off. Must get our spending priority right 😄😄😄

Edited by Ct3833

7 hours ago, Phang said:

I wondered how older pilots manage their presbyopia 

both runway view and instrument readings are life and death 

Did-You-Know-That-Airbus-Aircraft-Have-I

Did you notice he has two pair of glasses on his head ?  One for instrument reading and one for landing. 🤣🤣🤣

20210921_010248.jpg

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

@Ct3833 

I spent a long time to google for a pilot photo with reading glasses while in the cockpit

99% of the pilot posing photo taken in the cockpit are without glasses one

they must be telling the photographer, wait, let me hide my glasses first 😁

• Haha! 2

On 9/20/2021 at 12:03 AM, Phang said:

I have lao hua (presbyopia) since 40 years old, it is getting worse every year

I wear reading glasses when I am reading but I don't when I am driving

now it has reached the point where I cannot read most of the information on the dash display

I can see everything sharp and clear 2m in front of me and beyond

what kind of spectacles lenses should I get in order for me to read the dash display and road at the same time? 

progressive lens?

get the latest Varilux X Tracker solve all your problem! I look up down left right, can read words from all angle and can see far from all angle. I got mine in June 2021, previously Hoya cannot compare.

BTW I have 6/6 eyes sight until 42 years old Lao Hua set in..... then slowly cannot read papers or Hp  clearly, so I use progressive lens. but previously progressive lens got lotsa getting used to and not perfect until I change to X Tracker

https://www.essilor.com.sg/products/varilux-x-series?gclid=CjwKCAjw4qCKBhAVEiwAkTYsPEYf_OpJi60BuKTu-PZChFMpAt_7vJvawbJ90tVaUEt-IrzWZW_L5BoCmVEQAvD_BwE

Edited by D3badge

9 hours ago, Icetee168 said:

Hi bro

do u mind sharing the details of your optical shop?

i m facing the same problem too...thanks in adv

Bro, pai seh, my optical shop is in China. Maybe you did not notice, I have been 16 years in China. Now in Thailand. Just that I come home very often till the Covid started.

Anyway, basic is that you got to remind the optician to get your progressive right. I tell them I will only accept the glasses when you wear it. Look far ok, look down like reading a mobile phone in front is ok. When you look at mobile phone, also change the same position using a book or sign a document on table. That is when your eyeball roll down and fit the progressive lens

For the first time I got tricked, the shop tells me I will get used to it. After a while, I tell them bulls**t. I tell them if they don't replace me another one, I will be outside their shop to tell customers they are no good. Then they replace one which is slightly better. When I go to another shop to ask about it. I keep telling the guy my problem and he assure me that he will get the progressive line and the degrees right.

And he was right, the moment I put on the glass, I look far and is clear. I try to read my mobile, it's clear. I take out a document and pretend to sign it on the table and read clearly. I know this guy is right. I finally kick the habit of not able to read close and look over the glasses. Choose your glass size right too, I choose the height (top to bottom measurement) to be slightly bigger. Don't get it too slim. Cos you need the progressive size when the lens split

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Hi, the so call out-of-focus at the side can be minimize by using higher index lens, the fact that you are using those $600 lens suggests that the lens may not be high index enough, try the $1,000 range type of lens, you should like it better.  A pair of $1000+  glass  will last you for a few years, that is about 1 month  of a car depre write off. Must get our spending priority right 😄😄😄

wah, so expensive. But that out of focus part on the side has resolved already. Maybe my brain and eyes adjusted to the lens so I can now continue to just glance at the side mirror without seeing a slightly blurred image. 

8 hours ago, Arogab said:

Bro, pai seh, my optical shop is in China. Maybe you did not notice, I have been 16 years in China. Now in Thailand. Just that I come home very often till the Covid started.

Anyway, basic is that you got to remind the optician to get your progressive right. I tell them I will only accept the glasses when you wear it. Look far ok, look down like reading a mobile phone in front is ok. When you look at mobile phone, also change the same position using a book or sign a document on table. That is when your eyeball roll down and fit the progressive lens

For the first time I got tricked, the shop tells me I will get used to it. After a while, I tell them bulls**t. I tell them if they don't replace me another one, I will be outside their shop to tell customers they are no good. Then they replace one which is slightly better. When I go to another shop to ask about it. I keep telling the guy my problem and he assure me that he will get the progressive line and the degrees right.

And he was right, the moment I put on the glass, I look far and is clear. I try to read my mobile, it's clear. I take out a document and pretend to sign it on the table and read clearly. I know this guy is right. I finally kick the habit of not able to read close and look over the glasses. Choose your glass size right too, I choose the height (top to bottom measurement) to be slightly bigger. Don't get it too slim. Cos you need the progressive size when the lens split

many thanks for the information...

I have made 2 pairs of progressive lens from 2 different optical shop and both said the same thing that i gotta get used to it but i gave up after 2 weeks or more as it is really hindering my work...any bros out there who knows optical shop that are good in handling progressive lens please share...

as for bro arogab do stay safe in thailand...

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, Icetee168 said:

I have made 2 pairs of progressive lens from 2 different optical shop and both said the same thing that i gotta get used to it but i gave up after 2 weeks or more as it is really hindering my work...any bros out there who knows optical shop that are good in handling progressive lens please share...

Bro, just remember, those people say get used to it. Probably did not get it 100% correct. From the pair of glasses I got, the moment I wore it, it was so good. Everything very clear. No need to get use to it one

• Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Bro, just remember, those people say get used to it. Probably did not get it 100% correct. From the pair of glasses I got, the moment I wore it, it was so good. Everything very clear. No need to get use to it one

Yours was good 1st wear, even at the sides (especially when you glance sideways)?

Mine was good too, except for the sides (but only during driving). 

15 hours ago, Icetee168 said:

You can try Kwong Shin at Bras Basah Complex.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Yours was good 1st wear, even at the sides (especially when you glance sideways)?

Mine was good too, except for the sides (but only during driving). 

Side could mean your progressive line too high. As your eyeball turn sideways, you will tend to look down. Now that's the trick. The progressive line suppose to be a curve downwards at the side. If it does not affects you too much still ok.

There is also another drawback, if you do not tilt your head down a bit and look on the floor, it will also blur you a bit. So with progressive lens, the minor thing to get used is just tilt your head a little bit when looking at that direction. Should not give you much trouble. The worst part is that you cannot see well especially the portion of having reading glass and still peeping over the lenses.

• Praise 1

On 9/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, Phang said:

@Watwheels 

my reading glasses has straight presbyopia lenses

I have to remove it or pull down like a tikopek if I am looking beyond reading distance 

20210920_161246.jpg

This type of rectangular shape frame not suitable for progressive lens fitting, if you want to make a pair.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1