Any recommendations for a good dashcam for new drivers?

unicornfloof

Drivers, have you seen this Audi while you're out on the roads? 👀 

It's really appalling to see how much damage this Audi driver's recklessness has caused over the past week - and to think he hasn't been jailed yet!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47941xrcd2ltpxw7i0qp

TBH, I wish more drivers have those dashcams that are able to capture 30 second snapshots with the click of a button and automatically store it in their phones so that it's easier to catch idiots like this. Maybe something like this?

It's kinda annoying to have to watch the whole dashcam footage when you witness something interesting or get into an accident. Are there any recommendations for good dashcams, especially for new drivers? 😅

↡ Advertisement

I have DDPai Mini 2 which has a separate BT button to press to capture. Small, cheap, and excellent. 

I even have a spare 4k one that do away with the button and just capture using voice command.

In Chinese. 😅

Internal Moderator

If you are looking for the best of the best, maybe a gopro hero 10. 😂

There is 2 camp to the dashcam.

1) Need aftersales support, brand like thinkware, Blackvue and Iroad is popular in SG

2) Good specs & Cheap, brand like DDpai, 70mai and Marbella will be suffice.

So depends on what you are aftering. But gopro won't go wrong lah.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

I'm using 70mai, essentially from Xiaomi. Can get it on Shopee for only $45+-. Cheap and good but quite annoying with the automated voice but I like it enough that I purchased another for my rear camera.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
42 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

If you are looking for the best of the best, maybe a gopro hero 10. 😂

There is 2 camp to the dashcam.

1) Need aftersales support, brand like thinkware, Blackvue and Iroad is popular in SG

2) Good specs & Cheap, brand like DDpai, 70mai and Marbella will be suffice.

So depends on what you are aftering. But gopro won't go wrong lah.

Not sure about GoPro because there's a tendency for it to heat up very quickly and I've had a few Gopros that froze after that. Not the most reliable as a daily dash camera unless you're mounting it outside the car to take your cornering ability or scare off other drivers haha.

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Not sure about GoPro because there's a tendency for it to heat up very quickly and I've had a few Gopros that froze after that. Not the most reliable as a daily dash camera unless you're mounting it outside the car to take your cornering ability or scare off other car drivers haha.

Okay. Gopro is not good. 😂

5 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Not sure about GoPro because there's a tendency for it to heat up very quickly and I've had a few Gopros that froze after that. Not the most reliable as a daily dash camera unless you're mounting it outside the car to take your cornering ability or scare off other car drivers haha.

Insta360 better,

Surround view

😂

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
30 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Insta360 better,

Surround view

😂

Insta360 will be very good for motorcyclists. Not so good for drivers, too many blind spots. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, boonhat_91 said:

a good dashcam is a good dashcam, no? Newbie or laojio driver is irrelevant.

There is a difference between  good driver for a new dash cam and a good dash cam for a new driver. 😆😆

• Haha! 2

4 hours ago, unicornfloof said:

It's really appalling to see how much damage this Audi driver's recklessness has caused over the past week - and to think he hasn't been jailed yet!

TBH, I wish more drivers have those dashcams that are able to capture 30 second snapshots with the click of a button and automatically store it in their phones so that it's easier to catch idiots like this. Maybe something like this?

It's kinda annoying to have to watch the whole dashcam footage when you witness something interesting or get into an accident. Are there any recommendations for good dashcams, especially for new drivers? 😅

What is your budget for the dashcam(s)?
Prices can vary quite substantially between brands and also between different models under the same brand.

7 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Maybe I will recommend red camera.

SCARLET-W_Kitted.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Will have a better cinematic effect. 🤣

😮
This one how and where to mount !?😂

• Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Maybe I will recommend red camera.

SCARLET-W_Kitted.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Will have a better cinematic effect. 🤣

Insta360 is the best surround camera without breaking bank

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, unicornfloof said:

Maybe you list out your criteria like:
1. Resolution: Full HD (FHD) 1080p, Quad HD (QHD) 1440p or Ultra HD (UHD) 4k;

2. Frame rate: 30 fps, 60fps; 

3. For front and rear: single unit 2-channel, or 1-channel x 2 units etc;

4. Parking mode availability or no need;

5. Wifi-connection availability or no need;

6. Cloud-capable or not.

Internal Moderator
17 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

😮
This one how and where to mount !?😂

If this guy can plug USB into his D**k. Nothing is impossible. 😂