What happens if you don't like the car you JUST bought?

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

1390979503_IGOTBOREDOFMYCARAFTER3MONTHS.thumb.jpg.08d129476612d2842e7ac7598cb05578.jpg

For used cars, the situation is going to be a lot rosier, that's assuming you have no outstanding loans to service. Post the car on car portals like sgCarMart and Carousell and you await your next adventure. Is it gonna be that easy though?

You're gonna incur a cancellation fee from the car insurance, for first-time car owners you're gonna have to restart on your NCD accumulation, which maybe isn't so bad considering you only got started months ago.

So I bought my COE Swift about four months ago and I hate to admit it but I'm not the biggest fan of it. Maybe because it's a 1.5, maybe I should have gotten a ZC31, maybe it was an impulse buy. I got the Swift four days after selling off my motorcycle.

The initial plan was to commute to work via public transport for a few months but come on, we all know that's never going to work out. Sold the bike on 2nd May,  had a cooling-off period of fewer than four days, and I was back on the road by 6th or 7th May. The Swift was also the only car I viewed.  

I'm sure there are a few possibilities one may want to back out on a car deal, be it buyer's remorse, buying a lemon, realising you were ripped off after signing on the dotted line, etc. And then your only recourse would be to plead your case aka beg the dealer to rescind the purchase agreement. But I'm not referring to those.

I'm referring to... finding myself uninterested with the car after three months. There's no major issue with the car. A bit of kink here and there (cheap interior plastics rattling) but nothing major. Every morning I get to my car knowing it's gonna start, no strange noises, no sudden death. The only problem is, it's hella boring. 😆

Who am I kidding right? I bought a 1.5 Swift (no gun pointed at my head) and here I am, complaining I'm bored of my workhorse. I say it's an impulse buy because I had a few simple criteria - has to be a hatchback, inexpensive to maintain, no issue with parts availability, and voila, Swift it is. I didn't look around the market, I narrowed in on the Swift and I bought it from a used car dealer I know I can trust. It was that simple.

If you made it through my longwinded post, congratulations! 

Here's my hypothetical question to you. Facing similar scenarios, would you sell the car after just buying, or continue driving till the end of its COE which is slightly less than three years away? 

No guarantee I'll like my next car though, at least not those I can afford. I don't have a fantastic track record of keeping things around.

The bottom line I think we can all come to a consensus is that, go ahead and sell it if you can take the loss. 

Do share if you've felt the same way before after purchasing a used car?

I'm referring to used car here because selling a new car after just a few months is a financial suicide with the first-year depreciation, except for those that can afford it. [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 3

7 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

1390979503_IGOTBOREDOFMYCARAFTER3MONTHS.thumb.jpg.08d129476612d2842e7ac7598cb05578.jpg

For used cars, the situation is going to be a lot rosier, that's assuming you have no outstanding loans to service. Post the car on car portals like sgCarMart and Carousell and you await your next adventure. Is it gonna be that easy though? You're gonna incur a cancellation fee from the car insurance, for first-time car owners you're gonna have to restart on your NCD accumulation, which maybe isn't so bad considering you only got started months ago.

So I bought my COE Swift about four months ago and I hate to admit it but I'm not the biggest fan of it. Maybe because it's a 1.5, maybe I should have gotten a ZC31, and I hate to admit it but it was an impulse buy. I got the Swift four days after selling off my motorcycle. The initial plan was to commute to work via public transport for a few months but come on, we all know that's never going to work out. Sold the bike on 2nd May,  had a cooling-off period of fewer than four days, and I was back on the road by 6th or 7th May. The Swift was also the only car I viewed.  

I'm sure there are a few possibilities one may want to back out on a car deal, be it buyer's remorse, buying a lemon, realising you were ripped off after signing on the dotted line, etc. And then your only recourse would be to plead your case aka beg the dealer to rescind the purchase agreement. But I'm not referring to these.

I'm referring to... finding myself uninterested with the car after three months. There's no major issue with the car. A bit of kink here and there (cheap interior plastics rattling) but nothing major. Every morning I get to my car knowing it's gonna start, no strange noises, no sudden death. The only problem is, it's hella boring. 😆

Who am I kidding right? I bought a 1.5 Swift (no gun pointed at my head) and here I am, complaining I'm bored of my workhorse. I say it's an impulse buy because I had a few simple criteria - Has to be a hatchback, inexpensive to maintain, no issue with parts availability, and voila, Swift it is. I didn't look around the market, I zoned in on the Swift and I bought it from a used car dealer I know I can trust. It was that simple.

If you made it through my longwinded post, congratulations! Here's my hypothetical question to you. Facing similar scenarios, would you sell the car after just four months, or continue driving till the end of its COE which is slightly less than three years away? 

No guarantee I'll like my next car though, at least not those I can afford haha. I don't have a fantastic track record of keeping things around. The bottom line I think we can all come to a consensus is that, go ahead and sell it if you can take the loss. 

Please share if you've felt the same way before after purchasing a used car! I say used car because selling a new car after just months is a financial suicide with the first-year depreciation, except for those that can afford. [flowerface]

Never impulse buy.

I guess that's what I did 4 years ago and am not changing my car yet 🙂

I compared between the Impreza, the Corolla (Eco) and the Elantra for almost a fortnight, and you know how the story went.

TBH I wouldn't regret if I get the Elantra but would probably regret big time if I get the Corolla Eco because it's an empty shell devoid of features and it costs 10k more.

If you ask me if there were any cars that almost brought me to my knees, there are a few, like the Mz3, the Cerato and possibly now the new Citroen C5x.

But knowing my finances and being the woke one (no I'm not advertising the woke salaryman even though they are damn lit), dun backside itchy.

• Praise 6

Collected car 17 June , used it as daily for 4 days .. did not like it , called friend who wanted the car but AD dun bring in anymore . Agreed on price , friend collected it the next day . Paperwork and transfer of car just done last week as we are not allow to transfer car within 3 months if its not open cat COE .... 

Why continue to drive a car that you do not like ... 

• Praise 10
  • Haha! 2

It depends on how much you can afford, keep changing until you find one that you like if you could afford,  otherwise just treat a car as a car, no feeling about it.  I like my car because it is cheap to drive, no need to worry about getting scratched, just that simple.  Do I like new car or other car? Yes. But will I spend money to buy one ? No.  

• Praise 5

Sell and get a WRX

:D

Because life is too short for boring cars.

Anyway getting a second hand car means

most of the depreciation has been absorbed by the poor first owner already.

That's why I call new car owners suckers.

image.thumb.png.5dece7d91bb9525bb79280de2188863a.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

By the way if you are the second, third or even fourth owner

then the other 3 owners would have absorbed most of the depreciation already!

To sell a third or fourth owner car the loss is really minimal.

• Praise 3

i sold mine after 8 month

sold @ depr of 8k+

if i drive till 10 year, my depr will be 6.5k

yup i dont like it from the start. i hate all the car i tested

but i got no budget.

lucky 8 month later i got enough budget to change lol

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Just sold my sporty red Hb. I really loved that car, wash waxed nicely before I handover. U should buy my car, I'm sure u will like it. 1.5l too

Anyway I change car when it's a good deal, it's an upgrade, I like the design n driving experience. Hence every car change is a great experience for me.

Don't buy a car base on fear. Fear not reliable, fear this colour dirty easily, fear this n that. End up u will live with regrets n hate urself. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

U need motivation to sell ride? 😅

If you can let go the monetary loss, just let it go. Money can be earned back but not days gone by.

True that life's short and unpredictable. Its within your power to go for a ride that will bring a smile everytime you see it. Maybe with a tinge of pain where the wallet is kept.

Really boils down to the $ factor cos used cars are aplenty. Interesting ones sure have but what excites one may be so so to another.

Impulsive purchases are like school fees to force one to think more wisely. Some with deep pockets usually can't be bothered. 

Stay safe. Hope you will surprise us with a "new" ride soon. 😁

Cheers 

• Praise 5

18 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

By the way if you are the second, third or even fourth owner

then the other 3 owners would have absorbed most of the depreciation already!

To sell a third or fourth owner car the loss is really minimal.

Depreciation depend on how much is the Coe u bought n how much is the current coe when u sell.

Some can even earn

• Praise 1

23 minutes ago, DylanChen said:

i sold mine after 8 month

sold @ depr of 8k+

if i drive till 10 year, my depr will be 6.5k

yup i dont like it from the start. i hate all the car i tested

but i got no budget.

lucky 8 month later i got enough budget to change lol

6.5k dep is a very good deal. 

Wat car sia? 

1 hour ago, Hubwee said:

Collected car 17 June , used it as daily for 4 days .. did not like it , called friend who wanted the car but AD dun bring in anymore . Agreed on price , friend collected it the next day . Paperwork and transfer of car just done last week as we are not allow to transfer car within 3 months if its not open cat COE .... 

Why continue to drive a car that you do not like ... 

This is the Yaris GR? Or was it the GRMN? 

Edited by Turboflat4