What happens if you don't like the car you JUST bought?

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator
18 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

My Impreza 1.5 R, bought on 7 June 2019, got rid of it on 30 Aug 2019 hahahaha, listed and sold within 24 hours, impulse buy and couldn't stand how slow and thirsty it was, handled well though

Within 24 hours damn fast leh!

↡ Advertisement

16 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Slow pickup is an understatement for the Swift haha. I remember complaining to my passenger about how often I have to slow down and wait for the faster cars to pass instead of just doing a quick acceleration to overtake or lane change safely without causing the car behind to have to brake.

But I think it's unfair if I peg that to a bike's acceleration because then most cars will be too slow except for the performance category. If I can't afford to pay premium prices for a fast car, then I really shouldn't whine about my slow car.

Again, it's all about managing one's expectations and the price you are willing to pay.

Just curious, have you considered the Jazz 1.5 when you were shopping for your car? 

I have a COE renewed Jazz 1.5 and so far i am quite happy with it. It is reliable and power is sufficient. 

21 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

1390979503_IGOTBOREDOFMYCARAFTER3MONTHS.thumb.jpg.08d129476612d2842e7ac7598cb05578.jpg

For used cars, the situation is going to be a lot rosier, that's assuming you have no outstanding loans to service. Post the car on car portals like sgCarMart and Carousell and you await your next adventure. Is it gonna be that easy though?

You're gonna incur a cancellation fee from the car insurance, for first-time car owners you're gonna have to restart on your NCD accumulation, which maybe isn't so bad considering you only got started months ago.

So I bought my COE Swift about four months ago and I hate to admit it but I'm not the biggest fan of it. Maybe because it's a 1.5, maybe I should have gotten a ZC31, maybe it was an impulse buy. I got the Swift four days after selling off my motorcycle.

The initial plan was to commute to work via public transport for a few months but come on, we all know that's never going to work out. Sold the bike on 2nd May,  had a cooling-off period of fewer than four days, and I was back on the road by 6th or 7th May. The Swift was also the only car I viewed.  

I'm sure there are a few possibilities one may want to back out on a car deal, be it buyer's remorse, buying a lemon, realising you were ripped off after signing on the dotted line, etc. And then your only recourse would be to plead your case aka beg the dealer to rescind the purchase agreement. But I'm not referring to those.

I'm referring to... finding myself uninterested with the car after three months. There's no major issue with the car. A bit of kink here and there (cheap interior plastics rattling) but nothing major. Every morning I get to my car knowing it's gonna start, no strange noises, no sudden death. The only problem is, it's hella boring. 😆

Who am I kidding right? I bought a 1.5 Swift (no gun pointed at my head) and here I am, complaining I'm bored of my workhorse. I say it's an impulse buy because I had a few simple criteria - has to be a hatchback, inexpensive to maintain, no issue with parts availability, and voila, Swift it is. I didn't look around the market, I narrowed in on the Swift and I bought it from a used car dealer I know I can trust. It was that simple.

If you made it through my longwinded post, congratulations! 

Here's my hypothetical question to you. Facing similar scenarios, would you sell the car after just buying, or continue driving till the end of its COE which is slightly less than three years away? 

No guarantee I'll like my next car though, at least not those I can afford. I don't have a fantastic track record of keeping things around.

The bottom line I think we can all come to a consensus is that, go ahead and sell it if you can take the loss. 

Please share if you've felt the same way before after purchasing a used car.

I'm only referring to used car here because selling a new car after just a few months is a financial suicide with the first-year depreciation, except for those that can afford it. [flowerface]

2 possibility then

1) you are very rich so see money very lightly, money no issue 

2) your decision making sucks big time need self reflection on decision making process!

Edited by D3badge
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
9 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

Just curious, have you considered the Jazz 1.5 when you were shopping for your car? 

I have a COE renewed Jazz 1.5 and so far i am quite happy with it. It is reliable and power is sufficient. 

Not the 1.5 Jazz but the 1.3 Fit. So it was the SS, SSS, and also Fit. But I gave up on the Fit early on because we had it as a company car for 10 years and I didn't want to drive the same model again. Maybe the 1.3 isn't as powerful as the 1.5 Jazz but I thought the Fit was nice and easy to drive. Not sure I'll like it as much if it's my own though.

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, D3badge said:

2 possibility then

1) you are very rich so see money very lightly, money no issue 

2) your decision making sucks big time need self reflection on decision making process!

2nd one more likely!

11 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Not the 1.5 Jazz but the 1.3 Fit. So it was the SS, SSS, and also Fit. But I gave up on the Fit early on because we had it as a company car for 10 years and I didn't want to drive the same model again. Maybe the 1.3 isn't as powerful as the 1.5 Jazz but I thought the Fit was nice and easy to drive. Not sure I'll like it as much if it's my own though.

When i shop for a car, i will try to aim for the top variant if budget permits. If it is Jazz, i will aim for the 1.5 variant. If it is swift, i will aim for the swift sport. I heard people complain 1.5 Mazda 3 no power, but i never heard any complain about 2.0 Mazda 3 no power. If you get what i mean.. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Slow pickup is an understatement for the Swift haha. I remember complaining to my passenger about how often I have to slow down and wait for the faster cars to pass instead of just doing a quick acceleration to overtake or lane change safely without causing the car behind to have to brake.

But I think it's unfair if I peg that to a bike's acceleration because then most cars will be too slow except for the performance category. If I can't afford to pay premium prices for a fast car, then I really shouldn't whine about my slow car.

Again, it's all about managing one's expectations and the price you are willing to pay.

Just look at the bright side, no more worries about sudden monsoon rain and the merciless hot sun. 

Think you need to evaluate what are your must-have before deciding what to buy next, you obviously got it all wrong when you signed on the swift.  

It is ok, part of the journey of finding out what is motoring for you.  Remind me of my first and last MPV, which I kept for 4 years, IIRC 😂.

Luckily you bought a preowned, so it is not going to be very costly to reverse the mistake. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

how slow is the Swift pick up?

My previous car was ford focus 1.6 NA 2010 model, that was really really slow, 0-100Km/h takes 13 plus seconds, have to step very hard just to move the car.

Current car, 0-100km/h in about 9 secs plus feels like such a big difference lol

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Why Fit was nice and easy to drive than 1.5 Jazz le?

6 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Fun fact i was choosing between the GE6 1.3 fit and my current vw HAHAHA

6 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Within 24 hours damn fast leh!

Ya, hahaha listing went out at midnight, arranged viewing for 11am on the same day, sold on the spot to a dealer who wanted to renew coe for it, handed over the next day, technically from listing to sold is slightly less than 12 hours hahaha. he tried to push down the price but i stood firm, end up he gave in, i wasn't even in a hurry to sell, not mentally prepared.

Had an almost full tank of gas, and just did servicing (used liquimoly some more) for the car, so that last 24 hours w the car i kept driving round sg hahahaha. Nubbad la the loss over almost 3 months was only 1.3k, take it as  i rented a car for 3 months at 400+ / mth

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 5

Internal Moderator
54 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Why Fit was nice and easy to drive than 1.5 Jazz le?

Not meant to be a comparison. I'm saying the Fit is nice and easy, full stop. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Roh96 said:

When i shop for a car, i will try to aim for the top variant if budget permits. If it is Jazz, i will aim for the 1.5 variant. If it is swift, i will aim for the swift sport. I heard people complain 1.5 Mazda 3 no power, but i never heard any complain about 2.0 Mazda 3 no power. If you get what i mean.. 

Car sold here engine are always under size for obvious tax and COE reasons.

• Praise 4

16 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

It’s all about driving a slow car fast my dear .. 😂 

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement