Food waste lockers to be installed at selected HDB blocks in Ang Mo Kio-Toa Payoh sector

welik72

image.png.468a944af7a878ba907bd504db610d43.png

SINGAPORE: A one-year trial to collect food waste from residents will be launched in the Ang Mo Kio-Toa Payoh sector in November, with 10 “smart lockers” placed at selected Housing & Development Board (HDB) blocks in the area, the National Environment Agency (NEA) said on Wednesday (Sep 22).

The trial will be conducted by 800 Super Waste Management, which was on Wednesday awarded a new public waste collection contract for the sector. The sector covers the planning areas of Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Serangoon and Toa Payoh.

“These smart lockers will be installed with an Internet of Things remote access smart system, a QR code scanner and a load cell weighing scale,” NEA said in a media release.

“Participating households will be issued a unique QR code and air-tight reusable plastic containers to store their food waste.

“Participating households can then do a one-to-one exchange of the reusable plastic containers when they drop off their food waste-filled containers into the smart lockers.”

Participants will receive reward points via the 800 Super mobile app for depositing their food waste. These points can be exchanged for grocery vouchers.

“If the trial is successful, 800 Super will deploy another 83 smart lockers to other HDB blocks in the sector,” NEA said.

Source & Full article: CNA/ https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/food-waste-lockers-hdb-ang-mo-kio-toa-payoh-2193986

--------

Think Singaporeans will warm up with this idea of food waste management?

I think what concerns me is the smell from these food items and the pests that itll attract if its not properly carried out... 

Edited by welik72
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Knowing the level of civic mindedness of locals, you will probably find used tissues, food packaging, beer cans etc in among the waste. 

Just another money wasting trial using taxpayers' money, like hydrogen filling station, grass on bus roofs etc. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

8 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Knowing the level of civic mindedness of locals, you will probably find used tissues, food packaging, beer cans etc in among the waste. 

Just another money wasting trial using taxpayers' money, like hydrogen filling station, grass on bus roofs etc. 

Wait comprain smelly, got rats, some goondu mistake food locker with Foot Locker........

1 minute ago, Soya said:

Wait comprain smelly, got rats, some goondu mistake food locker with Foot Locker........

No worries - most of the selected households will use the free containers for other purposes and continue to throw the food waste down the chute..... 

Or out the window. 

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

No worries - most of the selected households will use the free containers for other purposes and continue to throw the food waste down the chute..... 

Or out the window. 

Plastic containers handy to put biscuits. So there

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
28 minutes ago, welik72 said:

image.png.468a944af7a878ba907bd504db610d43.png

SINGAPORE: A one-year trial to collect food waste from residents will be launched in the Ang Mo Kio-Toa Payoh sector in November, with 10 “smart lockers” placed at selected Housing & Development Board (HDB) blocks in the area, the National Environment Agency (NEA) said on Wednesday (Sep 22).

The trial will be conducted by 800 Super Waste Management, which was on Wednesday awarded a new public waste collection contract for the sector. The sector covers the planning areas of Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Serangoon and Toa Payoh.

“These smart lockers will be installed with an Internet of Things remote access smart system, a QR code scanner and a load cell weighing scale,” NEA said in a media release.

“Participating households will be issued a unique QR code and air-tight reusable plastic containers to store their food waste.

“Participating households can then do a one-to-one exchange of the reusable plastic containers when they drop off their food waste-filled containers into the smart lockers.”

Participants will receive reward points via the 800 Super mobile app for depositing their food waste. These points can be exchanged for grocery vouchers.

“If the trial is successful, 800 Super will deploy another 83 smart lockers to other HDB blocks in the sector,” NEA said.

Source & Full article: CNA/ https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/food-waste-lockers-hdb-ang-mo-kio-toa-payoh-2193986

--------

Think Singaporeans will warm up with this idea of food waste management?

I think what concerns me is the smell from these food items and the pests that itll attract if its not properly carried out... 

Why ang mo kio? They should start with Punggol and Canberra area. Where all the residents are much younger and have more awareness of going green. Good initiative thou, but I also doubt it will become a success.

When I go all the way there to deposit my waste food, can they give me NTUC voucher or something?   Just asking.  Don't be so serious.

Edited by Albeniz

7 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

When I go all the way there to deposit my waste food, can they give me NTUC voucher or something?   Just asking.  Don't be so serious.

Yes, when you have accumulated enough points!

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

The containers are air tight and issued to households with QR code. So, foul smell may not be an  issue. The QR code will eliminate irresponsible behaviour, hopefully. 

If you go to Switzerland, as we always say they world class or we live by Swiss standard. They mostly live basically and not like us leh. Everything like high end. Only salary not high end. I can see they concentrate a lot on business creation instead

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

The containers are air tight and issued to households with QR code. So, foul smell may not be an  issue. The QR code will eliminate irresponsible behaviour, hopefully. 

Need a few containers per household - breakfast, lunch, dinner leftovers. Can't imagine opening the container to squeeze in more waste after a few hours. 

Just nice 3 containers for 3 different types of biscuits. Airtight can keep the biscuits crunchy! 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Need a few containers per household - breakfast, lunch, dinner leftovers. Can't imagine opening the container to squeeze in more waste after a few hours. 

Just nice 3 containers for 3 different types of biscuits. Airtight can keep the biscuits crunchy! 

Expect a return container law to be enacted!😝

54 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Dun forget we need extra containers for tar pau oso hor

Better than paying 30 cents for throwaway plastic. Environmentally friendly oso bah

• Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

This is modern way of swill collection! 

Does anyone remember swill collection?

Yes. To feed pigs then.  Then we eat the pigs. Nothing wasted. 

Funny - years back everything recycled environmentally friendly. Like newspaper and CB leaves carrot cake. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1