Berlin Marathon 2021 - Bekele's attempt at World Record

Ender

Bekele's Attempt at World Record  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can he break it?

• Yes
    • No
    • DNF - Did Not Finish due to some problem.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2021 at 09:05 AM

11 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

Private .. cannot see. 

Then they sell you VPN package..:veryangry:

I switch back to official german stream

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Which 1?

The YouTube one. Quite a scam. Give 75% of the race, then suddenly switch off the live stream, ask you to click on the link to carry on watching. The link brings you a vpn seller.

Watched the last moment of the race on the official german link.

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Tianmo said:

完了! 完了! BBQ liao. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Still an very impressive WR effort even though most viewers were looking out for a sub2.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Ender said:

Still an very impressive WR effort even though most viewers were looking out for a sub2.

A new world record is actually expected from the start. This race is more of can he break 2.  I believe everyone, including himself know this, he came to this race planning to break 2 hrs, not to set a new WR. 

Personally I am quite disappointed with this 2:01:09 finishing. I believe somewhere in the range of 2:00:30 would be what he is looking for also, even if he doesnt break 2. 

But then they pushed too hard in the beginning (which is expected as a game plan) likely overestimated the pacers, and underestimated the conditions of him having to run alone for 80% of the 2nd half of the race.  

But lesson learned, and I think given the way he work, he has one more chance next year, after that hard to say liao. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

3 hours ago, Tianmo said:

A new world record is actually expected from the start. This race is more of can he break 2.  I believe everyone, including himself know this, he came to this race planning to break 2 hrs, not to set a new WR. 

Personally I am quite disappointed with this 2:01:09 finishing. I believe somewhere in the range of 2:00:30 would be what he is looking for also, even if he doesnt break 2. 

But then they pushed too hard in the beginning (which is expected as a game plan) likely overestimated the pacers, and underestimated the conditions of him having to run alone for 80% of the 2nd half of the race.  

But lesson learned, and I think given the way he work, he has one more chance next year, after that hard to say liao. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Hahaha 2:01:09 is an achievement I believe no one else(other than the GOAT) will break it for a long long time.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

A 2hr race over 42.2km... so many things can go awry... Pacing, weather, himself.  A new world record is definitely worth celebrating.

He may have a faster target and he did went for it. Think he did 2:37 on the 40th km, really superhuman. 

• Praise 3

There was 2 runner that follows Kipchoge when 1st group was broken into half.

Guyle Adola: DNF

Andamiak Belihu: He follows Kipchoge till KM26.  Ended up finishing 4th.  Improved on his PB from 2:09:43 (Valencia Marathon) to 2:06:40.

==================

Runner up finish at 2:05:58.  Almost 5 minutes behind Kipchoge.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Andamiak Belihu: He follows Kipchoge till KM26.  Ended up finishing 4th.  Improved on his PB from 2:09:43 (Valencia Marathon) to 2:06:40.

==================

Amazing achievement indeed to break his own record 4 years later at 37 !

The speed of these world class marathon runners never ceases to boggle my mind.

Was looking at the women's winner at 2:15 - that's equivalent to a 2.4km pace of 7:40 min for over 42 km. Heck I think I only knew 1 guy in my entire NS stint who could run faster than this pace for 2.4km. 

• Praise 3

11 minutes ago, fungyee77 said:

Was looking at the women's winner at 2:15 - that's equivalent to a 2.4km pace of 7:40 min for over 42 km. Heck I think I only knew 1 guy in my entire NS stint who could run faster than this pace for 2.4km. 

Her previous PB was 2:34:01.  She also broke the Berlin Marathon record by almost 3 mins.

• Praise 4

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

==================

5 minutes is long and boring silent moment lookin at the finishing line for the next runner coming up.

• Haha! 1

Just now, Ender said:

5 minutes is long and boring silent moment lookin at the finishing line for the next runner coming up.

Kipchoge was running around finishing area with Kenyan flag

• Haha! 1

42 minutes ago, fungyee77 said:

ya, and bar set higher which I believe no one else will break it for many years to come, unless it's kipchoge himself

↡ Advertisement