Jump to content
thatJDMahboy

Why do riders actually lane-split? Is lane-splitting really safer for riders?

Recommended Posts

I have seen from multiple online sources that lane-splitting is said to be safer for a rider. However, as someone who does not ride, I don't really understand the logic behind lane-splitting. In fact, I feel it is more hazardous than safe for a rider to lane-split.

What's your take on lane-splitting? Is it really safer for riders, or is it just a convenient excuse for them to cut through traffic?

I would love to hear what some of yall have to say!

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is actually a lot of space between vehicles, from a motorcyclist view, especially on the expressway

I will only lane split when it is safe to do so

img_9681.jpg?itok=mX6ptVLd

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

Please. When you say "safer" to lane split it has to go back to square one and ask what is safe? The word has a different meaning in everyone's eyes. No doubt riders themselves will say it is safe, driver might beg to differ. So why is this sh!t happening? Simple. Because there is no clear and sharp rule on what to do is right and not against the law. Much like PMD rules.

You ask yourself what do you see on the roads? Very often is reckless and speeding. It is hard for them to exist on our congested roads. Only way to solve it is to increase the price of motorcycle COE and price all these riders out.

If you dont believe me just look at the delivery riders. Just because of the pandemic they make their own rules. Anyway it is their life at stake and not mine. I make sure I siam far away. If they create their own deaths it is on them.

Have you seen bikes hitting other bikes when they lane split. I have. Very often. Some times serious. It is a flawed thinking this is "safe".

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

This topic discussed till death already. Still fry cold rice huh... 

  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
12 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

This topic discussed till death already. Still fry cold rice huh... 

Today weather is cooler 😎 

  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
41 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Lane split also can go faster le

Go faster to......... 🤕

  • Haha! 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic

If you ride a motorbike, in between lanes, you'll see so much to move through. It's very tempting and it bcums lane splitting.

Otherwise, you would ride in the middle of the lane, and the cars behind will try to overtake you, bcuz it's tempting for them.

  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Please. When you say "safer" to lane split it has to go back to square one and ask what is safe? The word has a different meaning in everyone's eyes. No doubt riders themselves will say it is safe, driver might beg to differ. So why is this sh!t happening? Simple. Because there is no clear and sharp rule on what to do is right and not against the law. Much like PMD rules.

You ask yourself what do you see on the roads? Very often is reckless and speeding. It is hard for them to exist on our congested roads. Only way to solve it is to increase the price of motorcycle COE and price all these riders out.

If you dont believe me just look at the delivery riders. Just because of the pandemic they make their own rules. Anyway it is their life at stake and not mine. I make sure I siam far away. If they create their own deaths it is on them.

Have you seen bikes hitting other bikes when they lane split. I have. Very often. Some times serious. It is a flawed thinking this is "safe".

Oh wow you are quick to generalize riders. And that suggestion to price riders out of bike COEs, truly spoken with an elitist mindset.

And i bet you are one of those who gets angry when the same delivery riders you condemn for being reckless and speedy, are late to deliver your food.

  • Praise 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@thatJDMahboy 

This kind of questions has been discussed many times since my grandfather era during 2nd world war. 

Rider actually lane-split becos there is lane for them to split. Some countries have motorcycle lane, so no lane for Riders to split. 

Lane-splitting is NOT safer for riders but it is faster and more excited and shiok to ride in this manner. Something car driver no chance to enjoy.

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mahjong74 said:

@thatJDMahboy 

This kind of questions has been discussed many times since my grandfather era during 2nd world war. 

Rider actually lane-split becos there is lane for them to split. Some countries have motorcycle lane, so no lane for Riders to split. 

Lane-splitting is NOT safer for riders but it is faster and more excited and shiok to ride in this manner. Something car driver no chance to enjoy.

And yet no matter how many times it has been discussed, certain incidents continuously occur throughout the years to remind us of the age-old question..."What is the point of lane-splitting?"

Ultimately, by lane-splitting, one is deciding between saving time or cherishing one's life > That's my two cents. 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Lane splitting obviously has its danger, bcuz people don't expect a bike to come through the gaps.

Long time ago, I know a fren, he got into a few accidents. Somebody open the car door suddenly and he slammed into it.

Another time, he killed an old man jaywalking across in-between cars. He couldn't get over this and stop riding.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged (edited)

lane splitting actually turns out to be safer based on study. Not that I like lane splitting, at times  I get upset when I could not change lane because of lane splitting bike. But imagine if a biker did not lane split and get involved in a chain collision, all the cars would suffer damage but he would likely be the one suffering most severe injury.  
Lane splitting is dangerous because bikers ride and squeeze through vehicles dangerously. Next is drivers, some drivers just simply change lane without checking for bikes and blind spot, end up crashing into lane splitting bikes.  Some of the common lane splitting accidents are due to human factor, not lane splitting itself. For example, riders tried to squeeze through  small gaps or in between big trucks, riders riding too fast or much faster than the traffic flow itself, drivers  changed lane without proper checking.
as long as one rides carefully and defensively, plus drivers looking out for bikes, lane splitting should be ok. I know some would disagree. 

https://sanfrancisco.legalexaminer.com/transportation/lane-splitting-can-make-roadways-safer-and-reduce-motorcycle-accidents-follow-these-tips/

.......Overall they found riders who split lanes were 6% less likely to suffer a head injury, 10% less likely to suffer an injury to the torso, and 1.8% less likely to die in a crash. ... Lane-splitting is safe if the rider travels at 50 miles per hour or less, and no more than 15 miles per hour above the flow of traffic.........

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear (edited)

Just to share my experience. When we learn in riding school, instructors taught us to queue 2 by 2 at a junction. This situation is ideal but in this era and the large number of motorcycles on the road, drivers will go mad with the even longer queue. Lane splitting in this scenarios helps to shorten the queuing at junctions provided both riders and drivers look out for each other. 

When I was riding, I don’t lane split because the lane markings can be very slippery when raining. What I feel personally is to ride on either side of a lane while keeping within the lane. You won’t get to ride over the slippery white arrows in the middle of the lane. Drivers will have to overtake you properly when you are actually within a lane instead of cutting you off when you lane split. Also, riding in this way gives you the flexibility to manoeuvre to left or right of the lane you are in when cars are overtaking you. But this is just my own feeling and other fellow riders may or may not like to do it. 

Now I drive, but I always check my mirrors and then turn my head to look out for lane splitters before changing lanes. I try not change lane abruptly or swerve unnecessarily. You will never know you might knock onto a fellow rider lane splitting and sent him flying off. We cannot have 100% accident free Singapore but we can reduce them by keeping a lookout for each other, drive and ride graciously and it will be a more pleasant road journey in this stress and hectic driving on our roads. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Wormee
  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6 minutes ago, Wormee said:

Just to share my experience. When we learn in riding school, instructors taught us to queue 2 by 2 at a junction. This situation is ideal but in this era and the large number of motorcycles on the road, drivers will go mad with the even longer queue. Lane splitting in this scenarios helps to shorten the queuing at junctions provided both riders and drivers look out for each other. 

When I was riding, I don’t lane split because the lane markings can be very slippery when raining. What I feel personally is to ride on either side of a lane while keeping within the lane. You won’t get to ride over the slippery white arrows in the middle of the lane. Drivers will have to overtake you properly when you are actually within a lane instead of cutting you off when you lane split. Also, riding in this way gives you the flexibility to manoeuvre to left or right of the lane you are in when cars are overtaking you. But this is just my own feeling and other fellow riders may or may not like to do it. 

Now I drive, but I always check my mirrors and then turn my head to look out for lane splitters before changing lanes. I try not change lane abruptly or swerve unnecessarily. You will never know you might knock onto a fellow rider lane splitting and sent him flying off. We cannot have 100% accident free Singapore but we can reduce them by keeping a lookout for each other, drive and ride graciously and it will be a more pleasant road journey in this stress and hectic driving on our roads. 

Cheers. 

If a rider never lane split, yet choose to ride at either side of the lane, I think it will frustrate the driver directly behind. Because you're not occupying the entire lane, yet they can't overtake you safely. The consequence of this is drivers doing an overtake while straddling two lanes. Think cyclists cycling along the road, as drivers we have to overtake them with at least 1 m gap. If you're not lane splitting, it's best to occupy the center of the lane so they can't pull off a dangerous overtaking maneuver. 

That's just how I feel when I'm driving and see a bike not in the center of a lane. I think it's unsafe.

I swear by lane-splitting because it's the safest thing to do and because it's faster. Even at the traffic lights, if I'm somehow in the middle of a lane, anxiety! Just imagine getting hit by a car from the rear, or if you're queuing in between two cars and then a rogue driver comes smashing from the back. Pancake!

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, thatJDMahboy said:

I have seen from multiple online sources that lane-splitting is said to be safer for a rider. However, as someone who does not ride, I don't really understand the logic behind lane-splitting. In fact, I feel it is more hazardous than safe for a rider to lane-split.

What's your take on lane-splitting? Is it really safer for riders, or is it just a convenient excuse for them to cut through traffic?

I would love to hear what some of yall have to say!

wonder any rules that lane splitting is against law?

else its always a grey area in accident when the rider hit by car during lane splitting, actual whose fault is it ? 

the Rider or the two vehicles in between ? 

In this reality world, only one party to take the fault, no such thing as share share the mistake. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be a rider up to 1000cc sportbike, yes i do lane split but at a very safe manner. 

life is in your own hand and i treasure my life. and loud pipe really save life, before you even approaching drivers will be looking at the mirror for you liao, trust me.

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear (edited)

@BabyBlade true that. Agree with you. 

P.S. I only realised you are a female rider from the other thread. Some more Class 2 bike. I always respect small built female riding big bikes. Salute. 

@Contipro as usual. LTA will never state black and white to say whether lane splitting is legal or not. In fact in such situation, it can play to either party’s advantage or disadvantage. Having it grey also gives you the flexibility to challenge and fight your case. 

Edited by Wormee
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×