Why do riders actually lane-split? Is lane-splitting really safer for riders?

thatJDMahboy

Internal Moderator
5 minutes ago, Wormee said:

@BabyBlade true that. Agree with you. 

P.S. I only realised you are a female rider from the other thread. Some more Class 2 bike. I always respect small built female riding big bikes. Salute. 

After I stopped riding then MCF so many riding threads. Sian! Hahaha. I miss riding a motorcycle. Don't even have a helmet now. Yikes! 😥

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

12 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

If a rider never lane split, yet choose to ride at either side of the lane, I think it will frustrate the driver directly behind. Because you're not occupying the entire lane, yet they can't overtake you safely. The consequence of this is drivers doing an overtake while straddling two lanes. Think cyclists cycling along the road, as drivers we have to overtake them with at least 1 m gap. If you're not lane splitting, it's best to occupy the center of the lane so they can't pull off a dangerous overtaking maneuver. 

That's just how I feel when I'm driving and see a bike not in the center of a lane. I think it's unsafe.

I swear by lane-splitting because it's the safest thing to do and because it's faster. Even at the traffic lights, if I'm somehow in the middle of a lane, anxiety! Just imagine getting hit by a car from the rear, or if you're queuing in between two cars and then a rogue driver comes smashing from the back. Pancake!

I agree with you not to ride on either side of the lane.  It is very frustrating for drivers.

For traffic light, I find it annoying to see a motorcycle next to my car (especially when I am the 1st car).

I rather motorcycle stop in front or behind the car.

When i cycle, I usually line up in the traffic light like a car. 

The only time i will lane split all the way to the front of the stop line is Dunearn road (Farrer Road exit) in the morning.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I agree with you not to ride on either side of the lane.  It is very frustrating for drivers.

For traffic light, I find it annoying to see a motorcycle next to my car (especially when I am the 1st car).

I rather motorcycle stop in front or behind the car.

When i cycle, I usually line up in the traffic light like a car. 

The only time i will lane split all the way to the front of the stop line is Dunearn road (Farrer Road exit) in the morning.

Because if I can get frustrated by motorcyclists riding on either side of the lane (still in lane) from a driver's perspective, imagine the non-riders. Wanna ram the biker down already. Hahaha.

Most motorcyclists will be gone before you know it at the lights. If I'm driving, I let the motorcyclists beside me move off first at the lights, even if they take a second too long. I would say motorcyclists tend to always look out for one another on the road. 

It's anxiety for me if I have to stop in front or behind a car. No joke.  Please don't worsen our anxiety lol.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

24 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

If a rider never lane split, yet choose to ride at either side of the lane, I think it will frustrate the driver directly behind. Because you're not occupying the entire lane, yet they can't overtake you safely. The consequence of this is drivers doing an overtake while straddling two lanes. Think cyclists cycling along the road, as drivers we have to overtake them with at least 1 m gap. If you're not lane splitting, it's best to occupy the center of the lane so they can't pull off a dangerous overtaking maneuver. 

That's just how I feel when I'm driving and see a bike not in the center of a lane. I think it's unsafe.

I swear by lane-splitting because it's the safest thing to do and because it's faster. Even at the traffic lights, if I'm somehow in the middle of a lane, anxiety! Just imagine getting hit by a car from the rear, or if you're queuing in between two cars and then a rogue driver comes smashing from the back. Pancake!

Agreed lane splitting in Rider point of view (visual view) when safe to do so is okay. 

But i must admit sometimes i almost hit lane splitting bike when the rider is within my blindspot, which rider yet to consider driver point of view (visual view). 

So the safe manner of lane splitting is too hard to be justified when considering both parties. 

Above my view. 

Internal Moderator
Just now, Contipro said:

Agreed lane splitting in Rider point of view (visual view) when safe to do so is okay. 

But i must admit sometimes i almost hit lane splitting bike when the rider is within my blindspot, which rider yet to consider driver point of view (visual view). 

So the safe manner of lane splitting is too hard to be justified when considering both parties. 

Above my view. 

I think the one that frustrates drivers the most will be the 2B bikes. I've noticed some of them lane split even when they are riding slower than traffic on either side, sometimes even riding beside a car's blind spot. If one is riding slower than traffic or at the same speed, then it defeats the purpose of lane splitting. It annoys me when riders jam up the lane-splitting lane and refuse to give way. We also have lane-splitting road hoggers ok. Haha.

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, BabyBlade said:

I think the one that frustrates drivers the most will be the 2B bikes. I've noticed some of them lane split even when they are riding slower than traffic on either side, sometimes even riding beside a car's blind spot. If one is riding slower than traffic or at the same speed, then it defeats the purpose of lane splitting. It annoys me when riders jam up the lane-splitting lane and refuse to give way. We also have lane-splitting road hoggers ok. Haha.

Totally agree with you. Especially Malaysian kup kias. I met one once in KPE, can hear the bloody annoying exhaust but cannot see him on both mirrors. Turned my head and he was riding in tandem in my blind spot. 😠

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Wormee said:

Totally agree with you. Especially Malaysian kup kias. I met one once in KPE, can hear the bloody annoying exhaust but cannot see him on both mirrors. Turned my head and he was riding in tandem in my blind spot. 😠

That's why kup kia has a very loud exhaust.

No pun intended hor.

• Haha! 1

Its simply about defensive riding and creating the safety zone for yourself. 

Take the whole lane if you have to.  
Lane split if you have to. 
Move ahead at traffic lights if you have to

Just mke sure you create your own safety zone as a rider, becos you can be sure no one else will.

• Praise 4

Lane splitting only safe when the bigger vehicles are stationary or moving very slowly, like at checkpoints. Very unsafe on expressways and in yellow boxes.

Edited by Kklim

Nothing wrong with lane splitting.

Just don't do it when cars changing lanes because drivers don't check wing mirrors.

And don't do it when the lane slows down because drivers will just swerve into the next lane without checking.

:D

Drivers these days never brake, first instinct is just pull the wheel and swerve into the next lane.

• Praise 3

Not ride a bike before, the most, bicycle and that's decades ago 😅

From a driver's perspective, solely my own, pls do not keep to the sides of the roads/lanes. Go either infront or behind my car so that we can keep one another in full view. No need be shy, dun play hide and ride. 

One thing I would really appreciate is pls keep up with speed of the traffic flow at that moment. Dun stay on lane with fast moving vehicles when the next left lane is almost clear, for example, unless you need to make a right or u-turn soon. 

The other thing is, if need to spilt lane, do it with extra care. I know of ppl who saved their lives cos they lane spilt to avert an accident and yet others who got killed/lost limbs because they lane spilt and kena.

Its dicey to judge but main thing is right or wrong, dun end up dead ya. Bike dead can buy, you dead, its final destination. 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

• Praise 3

safety is never a consideration.......they do whatever it takes to get them to their destination asap. 

if not in a hurry, they would just be riding at leisurely pace in the centre of the lane with a clear road ahead and then keep glancing at the cars behind which are trying to find a way to go around them through their wing mirrors since they think there is no rush and others should also be like them bah.

everything is done on own agenda without consideration for other road users.

😬

• Haha! 1

Joke, joke

Wondering since bike can lane split if situation consider safe by rider, then car driver also like to lane split if situation allowed.. correct right ?? 

15 minutes ago, Phang said:

@BabyBlade 

I don't like to ride on the dead center of a lane (darker area in the pic)

I find that part of the lane can be greasy from vehicle oil leaking, more debris too

cte_0.jpg

I know, you ride 2cm off that.  👍

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Contipro said:

Joke, joke

Wondering since bike can lane split if situation consider safe by rider, then car driver also like to lane split if situation allowed.. correct right ?? 

Need K car to do that

• Haha! 1

Why drivers care if if they lane split or not as long as they don't knock off your mirror.

Drivers should only care to check wing mirror no bike when changing lanes.

Busy kapoh bike do what but never ownself check mirror.

• Haha! 3

50 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Why drivers care if if they lane split or not as long as they don't knock off your mirror.

Drivers should only care to check wing mirror no bike when changing lanes.

Busy kapoh bike do what but never ownself check mirror.

ha ha.. 

lane split in straight line, i think we still manageable to accept. 
But some riders are crazy lane split at turning bend.. Walau bro, i am not Takumi Fujiwara that can handle the car in perfect line during turning lor.. !! 

↡ Advertisement