Why do riders actually lane-split? Is lane-splitting really safer for riders?

thatJDMahboy

This topic has been discussed, argued, until the cows have not come home? Go and watch the videos and decide for yourself. We shall not repeat old stories...

• Haha! 1

22 hours ago, thatJDMahboy said:

I have seen from multiple online sources that lane-splitting is said to be safer for a rider. However, as someone who does not ride, I don't really understand the logic behind lane-splitting. In fact, I feel it is more hazardous than safe for a rider to lane-split.

What's your take on lane-splitting? Is it really safer for riders, or is it just a convenient excuse for them to cut through traffic?

I would love to hear what some of yall have to say!

most of these motorcycles donot have a car license , or they have but seldom drive a car. from a rider perspective they think there are a lot of space for cars and they are been considerate!! but in reality they eat into both lane causing danger to themselves and hazard to cars.

and it is especially dangerous if they ride on the white dotted lines when the roads are wet!

I ever during poly days skid my bike just because my tyre touch the line marking during corner! lucky that bike was a class 2B, light in weight a kick manage to prevent bike from falling.

Edited by D3badge

17 hours ago, thatJDMahboy said:

And yet no matter how many times it has been discussed, certain incidents continuously occur throughout the years to remind us of the age-old question..."What is the point of lane-splitting?"

Ultimately, by lane-splitting, one is deciding between saving time or cherishing one's life > That's my two cents. 

agreed

Edited by D3badge
  • Praise 1

Rider and Driver here. Lane splitting at its core is beneficial to all road users. However, it is not always done safely. 

Why is lane splitting safer for riders? One word: Protection. Motorbikes are small, therefore they are harder to see, especially in countries where motorbikes are not as prevalent, drivers don't always see or see the motorbike too late, and hitting it.

Example:

Lane splitting at the junction and on expressways essentially takes away the danger of being rear-ended. Given the fact motorbikes don't offer much in way of crash protection, getting hit by a car can be very dangerous. 

Lane splitting is actually beneficial to drivers also. It removes vehicles from the main traffic lane, thus offering a shorter queue at junctions and smoother flow on expressways, both situations will reduce traffic for drivers.

These been said, too many people lane split too aggressively in Singapore, trying to squeeze through tight spots, or going way faster than the flow of traffic, resulting in accidents. 

As drivers, we should be aware that riders will lane split, and check blind spots when merging, as well as leaving space for riders to go through at junctions, doing our part will ensure a safer journey for all. 

• Praise 2

24 minutes ago, yycools said:

Rider and Driver here. Lane splitting at its core is beneficial to all road users. However, it is not always done safely. 

Why is lane splitting safer for riders? One word: Protection. Motorbikes are small, therefore they are harder to see, especially in countries where motorbikes are not as prevalent, drivers don't always see or see the motorbike too late, and hitting it.

Example:

Lane splitting at the junction and on expressways essentially takes away the danger of being rear-ended. Given the fact motorbikes don't offer much in way of crash protection, getting hit by a car can be very dangerous. 

Lane splitting is actually beneficial to drivers also. It removes vehicles from the main traffic lane, thus offering a shorter queue at junctions and smoother flow on expressways, both situations will reduce traffic for drivers.

These been said, too many people lane split too aggressively in Singapore, trying to squeeze through tight spots, or going way faster than the flow of traffic, resulting in accidents. 

As drivers, we should be aware that riders will lane split, and check blind spots when merging, as well as leaving space for riders to go through at junctions, doing our part will ensure a safer journey for all. 

Very well said 👏

I don't think it is safer (bike rider myself before) but rather they just want to go faster instead of follow behind cars. For car drivers, it is not practical if motorcycles start following behind cars. Can you imagine the tailback/jam? There is certainly enough space for them to lane split as long as car drivers don't anyhow swerve out of their lane without checking. Lane splitting benefits both motorcyclists and cars - but just both sides just need to be careful. 

Edited by Kar_lover
  • Praise 4

Road is for all users regardless of their types.

Its not that hard to just keep right on the lane if the car driver is on the 1st lane and allow motorcyclist to lane split easier and safer

1 hour ago, lexiton said:

Road is for all users regardless of their types.

Its not that hard to just keep right on the lane if the car driver is on the 1st lane and allow motorcyclist to lane split easier and safer

You are joking right to ask drivers to keep right on the right lane? You haven't seen videos of siao lang walking there besides the centre divider? There won't be any reaction time. 

To lane splitters - do at your own risk. It is your skin literally in the game not mine. 

Just don't hit my mirrors and don't stay in my blind spots. And either speed up (not when you are 20m away) or slow down when you see my signal lights instead of maintaining exactly the same speed as me. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 4

the ability to lane split and not wait for multiple cycles of red light speed up motorcycle riders’ journey times dramatically.  the flip side is the risks they have to take when lane splitting 

if we remove this ability from the motorcycle riders and let them get stuck in traffic just like everyone else, i think a large majority of motorcycles will disappear from the roads and overall traffic would be much lighter especially during peak hours.

just as we all dislike cyclists and ebikes sometimes switch from pedestrian mode to road user mode without warning,  it is very difficult for other drivers to predict when motorcyclists decide they want to lane split or when they decide to behave like a car or when they decide to cut across to another lane splitting lane or overtake another slow motorcycle on the lane splitting lane etc etc and when there is a whole bunch travelling together at the same time in every lane with each making his own decision based on their whim and fancy further compounds the problem 

so riders better ownself take care of ownself when lane splitting and don’t expect others to look out for you when you feeling entitled to lane splitting because it’s really difficult to know what you are going to do 

😬

• Praise 4

They can lane split all they want . Just stop tailgating me and staying EXACTLY in my left rear ' blindspot ' area which is what most of them excel at. If I have to jam on my brakes ,i know that these riders will definitely NOT be able to stop in time.

Supercharged

Is this the right way to lane-split? If anything happens, just jump onto the vehicle to save yourself?  😁

maxresdefault-5.jpg

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
On 10/3/2021 at 11:47 PM, Enye said:

the ability to lane split and not wait for multiple cycles of red light speed up motorcycle riders’ journey times dramatically.  the flip side is the risks they have to take when lane splitting 

if we remove this ability from the motorcycle riders and let them get stuck in traffic just like everyone else, i think a large majority of motorcycles will disappear from the roads and overall traffic would be much lighter especially during peak hours.

just as we all dislike cyclists and ebikes sometimes switch from pedestrian mode to road user mode without warning,  it is very difficult for other drivers to predict when motorcyclists decide they want to lane split or when they decide to behave like a car or when they decide to cut across to another lane splitting lane or overtake another slow motorcycle on the lane splitting lane etc etc and when there is a whole bunch travelling together at the same time in every lane with each making his own decision based on their whim and fancy further compounds the problem 

so riders better ownself take care of ownself when lane splitting and don’t expect others to look out for you when you feeling entitled to lane splitting because it’s really difficult to know what you are going to do 

😬

How about removing drivers from the road? That'll clear up 80% of the traffic and accidents. Say goodbye to congestion. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3