Bring back HSR to ‘excite the world again’, says Najib

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

hsr-train-bernama-070918-1-2.jpg

source: https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2021/09/28/bring-back-hsr-to-excite-the-world-again-says-najib/?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=pmd_AzHpCmrHbXPR9DK06.27Ybl5ZuKUYjXah80i34EzfG0-1632906920-0-gqNtZGzNAnujcnBszQal

KUALA LUMPUR: Former prime minister Najib Razak says Malaysia needs to regain the global economy’s interest and attention, and suggested that Putrajaya revive the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High Speed Rail (HSR) project.

Najib (BN-Pekan) said the project would give a new lease of life to the peninsular’s southern economic corridor, such as Iskandar Malaysia, Batu Pahat, Muar, Melaka and Seremban.

“Aside from efforts to rebuild international relations with major economies that were affected after the 14th general election, Malaysia needs to excite the world again.

“Projects like HSR, which would connect two of Asean’s biggest economies, need to be revived according to the original concept and design,” he told the Dewan Rakyat while debating the 12th Malaysia Plan today.

Najib said the project would also create 70,000 job opportunities directly and indirectly, while potentially generating US$1.6 billion in revenue, according to the Institute of Developing Economies in Japan.

However, this would hinge on the rail project directly connecting to Singapore, instead of just running from Kuala Lumpur to Johor Bahru.

The latter, he said, would make the project not viable while costing the nation billions in subsidies.

“Reviving the HSR project according to its original plan can also revive the Bandar Malaysia project, worth RM140 billion in terms of gross development value.”

He suggested that the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) and Permodalan Nasional Bhd (PNB) be assigned such development projects, citing their success with the Battersea project in the UK.

“This (Bandar Malaysia) project can also be worked on with Singaporean investors since the HSR would connect with the country, if EPF and PNB are of the view that it would bring an advantage.

“If this happens, I propose that the project be rebranded to Bandar Asean, placing Malaysia as the centre for Asean in efforts to attract the international community’s attention,” he said.

The HSR project was officially cancelled this year, with Malaysia set to compensate Singapore for costs incurred as part of its obligations under the bilateral agreement.

Previously, a source in Putrajaya had told FMT that Malaysia would have to pay compensation of around RM320 million.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 14

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Hosay lah! jib-kor really is back! 🤣

th?id=OIP.L9SllJPNVnCnjzfLCzYiAAHaFj%26p

Malaysi politic is unpredictable, , dont count Tun M as  out yet....... 

• Haha! 2

The One and Only Malaysia ex-PM can / will excite us, not necessary the world yet,so to speak. . . He really break the rules, like him or hate him, Gibby Gor can bring harmony to many silly[porean motorists, travellers, visitors and tourists abound . . .[laugh] I cant speak much on the other ex-PMs [whip] 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, Beregond said:

they got check or not?

i think their prata  flip too many times. chao ta liao 😆

Malaysia…. Truly prata. 

• Haha! 2

@Beregond That should be a fresh contract should it happen again. 

As I have said it before, Jib kor is the best MY PM. He can set up 2MDB who care? We can look forward to durian sharing again!😁

Jamesc, take note! 😊

Edited by Fitvip
  • Haha! 5

23 minutes ago, Beregond said:

so now if they  decided to build again, do they need to pay us that compensation?😂

Don’t even know if can and will pay compensation lor. Even if build again. I think we should still get some. 

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Don’t even know if can and will pay compensation lor. Even if build again. I think we should still get some. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/malaysia-reimburses-singapore-102-million-for-costs-incurred-in-terminated-kl-spore-hsr

Malaysia pays S'pore $102.8 million for costs incurred in terminated HSR project

Hariz Baharudin

UPDATED

MAR 30, 2021, 7:27 AM

FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - Malaysia has paid Singapore about $102.8 million as compensation for the costs it incurred in the failed high-speed rail (HSR) project.

In a joint statement on Monday (March 29), Singapore’s Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung and Malaysia’s Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economy) Mustapa Mohamed said the two countries have finalised the settlement of compensation for the terminated project.

Malaysia has made a payment of $102,815,576 (RM320,270,519.24) to reimburse Singapore for costs incurred for the development of the project, and for a further extension of the initial two-year suspension.

• Praise 4

@happy_man Let's not be too happy over the moon yet, the flipping of Prata & goreng Pisang can only comes true when the King, Sultan and the PM agrees in principle, after all the S103M cost incurred can be made back in no times, allow them some time to think over it and fine-tuned the process, the additional cost & such . .  . somehow we noticed the hierarchy kinda regret terminating it .

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1