MHA kenna cheated 🤣

Fcw75

Couple cheated MHA over 3 years by submitting fake quotations for building works
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/couple-cheated-mha-over-3-years-by-submitting-fake-quotations-for-building?fbclid=IwAR0TSNDFT07VE4nhMmxkBpJErT2DDJHitbN_ihB8dHKmQgaGg2eH8OtkiDQ

SINGAPORE - A couple cheated numerous departments under the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) over a period of three years by submitting fake quotations alongside their own.

Cheow Boon Peng, 43, and his wife, Kuan Pooi Yee, 37, conspired as general manager and director of Buildforms Construction respectively, netting themselves $165,000 worth of jobs from MHA departments, from 2012 to 2014.

Really Cheow Kuan…🤣🤣

But creative…

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

" In December 2011, Buildforms became the sole sub-contractor for all MHA building works at its West Zone properties. "

Don't understand - since already appointed sole sub con, why still need to source for 3 quotes which should be the job of the MHA purchasing staff. He/she conveniently tasked the sub con to provide other quotes? Ownself checks Ownself arrangement?

And bl00dy lazy staff never check randomly by calling one or 2 "suppliers" in the quotations. That's why I think the silver service's sense of responsibility and accountability has long been thrown out the window. 

If I recall, no quote is considered a quote too. For small jobs who so free to keep quoting without ever getting the job? 

Kinda stupid for the couple to do this way - fake quotations have been pointed out by the AG time and time again maybe since AG was first formed. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

33 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

And bl00dy lazy staff never check randomly by calling one or 2 "suppliers" in the quotations. That's why I think the silver service's sense of responsibility and accountability has long been thrown out the window. 

If I recall, no quote is considered a quote too. For small jobs who so free to keep quoting without ever getting the job

Cannot blame la  . Depends on set up.

Example... mr A call quote,  mr B receive quotes,  mr C award winner. Don't step over boundaries. System designed this way to check and balance. 

If say mr B go call the contractors,  mr A and mr C may think :"you got one leg ah?".. vice versa..

7 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Cannot blame la  . Depends on set up.

Example... mr A call quote,  mr B receive quotes,  mr C award winner. Don't step over boundaries. System designed this way to check and balance. 

If say mr B go call the contractors,  mr A and mr C may think :"you got one leg ah?".. vice versa..

You example is not correct. Users tell buyers what they need. E.g. 15 cm pencils. Buyers call suppliers for quote and receive the quotes. If 1 pencil probably buyer decides and award contract. If 1 million pencils maybe his boss's boss review the submissions from buyer and select the supplier.

Strange in this case sub con sourced for quotations, unless the sub con was a managing agent in which case it should not be providing the repair/renovation services. 

But that's the problem of news reporting standard nowadays - very often after reading no head no tail. Must complain to the resident MCF General. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

47 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

" In December 2011, Buildforms became the sole sub-contractor for all MHA building works at its West Zone properties. "

Don't understand - since already appointed sole sub con, why still need to source for 3 quotes which should be the job of the MHA purchasing staff. He/she conveniently tasked the sub con to provide other quotes? Ownself checks Ownself arrangement?

If I recall, no quote is considered a quote too. For small jobs who so free to keep quoting without ever getting the job? 

Kinda stupid for the couple to do this way - fake quotations have been pointed out by the AG time and time again maybe since AG was first formed. 

All these bureaucratic red-tape just to show that they are exercising prudence in spending taxpayers' monies in awarding contracts of all sorts. :l

• Haha! 2

28 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

All these bureaucratic red-tape just to show that they are exercising prudence in spending taxpayers' monies in awarding contracts of all sorts. :l

When spending public money, red tape is part and parcel of the control. Last thing we want is people suka suka build 1 million dollar rubbish shed with half going to consulting fees. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Yeah man. I was so puzzled why this contractor is doing the sourcing and MHA took no part of the blame.

This is....ridiculous.

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Strange in this case sub con sourced for quotations, unless the sub con was a managing agent in which case it should not be providing the repair/renovation services. 

seems to be this is the arrangement according to the ST report ....  but whoever in MHA that came out or approve such stupid arrangement ought to be shot, for allowing this subcon to call for quotations and submitting their own at the same time, anyone with some working experience dealing with purchasing should be able to raise a red flag....... anyway these are small fishes that kenna hanged out to dry lah....2012 to 2014...$165,000 niah.....

As part of this arrangement, Buildforms was to source for three quotations for certain works.

In January 2012, Cheow came up with the idea to prepare fake quotations from other companies to be submitted together with Buildforms' own.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

51 minutes ago, happy_man said:

I notice this too - Often I come across ST news print which don't make much sense or feel like something is amiss even after reading a few times over. It is like the story was heavily re-edited and vetted before allowed to be published. I suspect isn't due to lousy reporter alone.

You may want to tag that general umbrage here. 🤣

• Haha! 3

full of wayang.. big fish dont catch, catch small fish.

this quote system never prevented people from gaming it. many ways to play. wasteful spending is not an evaluation criteria.

• Praise 1

The MHA staff should kenna too.

Basically he/she outsourced his/her work to the sub-con Buildform and then expect them to do his/her work. 

Really is Jiak Liao Bee.

Nowadays everything also outsourced.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

58 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

full of wayang.. big fish dont catch, catch small fish.

this quote system never prevented people from gaming it. many ways to play. wasteful spending is not an evaluation criteria.

Even big fish kena caught it will be "no corruption", "engage outside consultants to review our processes and controls". "No blame culture" "more training and education for the staff", "Nothing to see let's move on" 

Did I miss anything else? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

When spending public money, red tape is part and parcel of the control. Last thing we want is people suka suka build 1 million dollar rubbish shed with half going to consulting fees. 

at least a rubbish shed is build after 1 million is spent and can ask MP to cut ribbon....

we did spent $400,000 to rename Marina Bay as Marina Bay in 2005 :

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_2016-06-21_160714.html

Edited by Strat
  • Haha! 4

I read only catch the 1st ball kicking from Goalkeeper, after the midfielder cross to the front attacker, it is up to him to shoot or sebok sebok a bit like our Dollah Kassim then sway sway dummy & chip the ball . . . go in or over the bar we don't don't, we say Ai ya miss la, goal post so big  . . .

Staff in MHA happening cannot disclose details, since it is G position . . . something between the lines, the couples saw the opportunity to let it rip and try to submit since he knew MHA has stringent protocol to award to the lowest bidder . . . more of a entrapment . . . which contractor/s or tenders would bid high to procure . . .waste time 

• Praise 1

This kind normally is for job scope outside the actual contract . So instead of calling for tender for small small jobs that is not included in the first actual contract , contract holder will have to show that their quote are the lowest , if not they would have to sub con that part of the work out to the lowest bidder lo . 

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Gahmen service is like that. Nowadays very ks. No quote also die die must go and find quote. If you submit only one quote, prepare to write long thesis of justifications and furnish proof that really truly cannot get other quotes - and still may be rejected by procurement or finance dept if the head is very ks. Don't blame them because they also scared kena hung by AGO. So die die must get a few quotes in order to easily accept the lowest quote, no questions asked.

As for the sub-con being asked to provide 3 quotes, I guess this is some internal arrangement or part of the terms of the award. All it takes is a few simple phone calls for the whole scheme to unravel but remember ... the civil service does not recruit for "initiative", only for blind adherence to approved procedures. As long as all procedures are followed, no one is to blame at the civil service side.

Anyway for companies and buyers with good connections, they can always source for alternative quotes from companies they have links with, even if these companies have absolutely no interest in the bid. Everything would appear to be genuine and above-board - and it is! Local companies have long resigned themselves to this ridiculous civil and public service procurement process.

Just that this particular company that cheated MHA produced the alternative quotes themselves; that's the crime.

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1