Anti-foreign interference bill...

Wind30

Not sure if this has disturbing implications but I was reading hwz and they were saying this effectively makes him above the law?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

On 10/5/2021 at 4:41 PM, Voodooman said:

According to Shanmugan, the "people haven't even begun to realise what the problem is, and the nature of the problem", so it is a trust us thingy lah. 

I thought the legislation is a toy gun with open ended capability to upgrade to bazooka, if not how to fight foreign powers with a lot more resources?  Who? China, Russia or US? It is obvious. 😂

Seriously, noone cares about check and balance. 

I believe the threat is real but this is way too much power if we have the wrong people running the show. 

Our country so porous for investment. Strong reliance from foreign direct investment.... 

All countries that invest here have their trade Chambers, have their own networks and agenda.

As long as they don't yield too much influence into our social fabric and cause distrust and or sow discord then no issue. 

External influences can even come from neighbours and also countries you pointed out

😅

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Not sure if this has disturbing implications but I was reading hwz and they were saying this effectively makes him above the law?

If he made the wrong move using this law then we know it was passed to consolidate power than to ensure SG social integrity. 

Supercharged

PAP Gaslighting Masterclass #102.

How to sell CECA and FICA.

To justify CECA, tell Singaporeans their jobs cannot be bubble-wrapped against foreign competition.

To justify FICA, tell Singaporeans that their country (ie. PAP politicians) needs to be bubble-wrapped against foreign influence.

To justify CECA, tell Singaporeans that the country cannot be close-minded and insular.

To justify FICA, tell Singaporeans the country is very vulnerable to outside interference.

To justify CECA, tell Singaporeans foreigners make us strong, improve our economy.

To justify FICA, tell Singaporeans foreigners are insidious, up to wreck the system.

Finally, to justify CECA, tell Singaporeans that those who oppose it are racists and (or) xenophobes.

To justify FICA, tell Singaporeans that those who oppose it are unpatriotic and (or) anti-Singapore.

Win-win. Majulah Singapura.

https://zh-cn.facebook.com/kinlian

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 4

On 10/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, Kyrios said:

To put things in perspective....the Copyright Act, which is a super old established Act by the way...took 6 years time for the government to make a few changes here and there and the changes were only passed slowly last month...6 blardy long years...just for public consultation...ask here ask there etc

FICA...which incidentally is a totally new ACT drafted by don't know who.... in just a mere few months...was steamrolled all the way thru yesterday...

You can tell what really matters to our government of the day....

Very good at steamrolling such shenanigans. If only they are that good at steamrolling the spread of Covid then I consider voting for them. 

On 10/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, Kyrios said:

To put things in perspective....the Copyright Act, which is a super old established Act by the way...took 6 years time for the government to make a few changes here and there and the changes were only passed slowly last month...6 blardy long years...just for public consultation...ask here ask there etc

FICA...which incidentally is a totally new ACT drafted by don't know who.... in just a mere few months...was steamrolled all the way thru yesterday...

You can tell what really matters to our government of the day....

Very good at steamrolling such shenanigans. If only they are that good at steamrolling the spread of Covid then I consider voting for them. Talking about foreign interference, isn't the Internal Security Act the ultimate overarching legislation to put the end to such things? Need FICA for what?

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

So....say...

if someone do climate research and gets grants from foreign source to do studies... and conclude that sg govt is hooked on car and fuel taxes instead of making EVs cheap... FICAable?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

10 hours ago, Didu said:

Two sides of a coin...no matter how one tosses it...termites win...need more hammering to see this one cums along...😁

81bbb4b9ae516f651b9ec91dcd3a0c5784a7881edbb1390154b52c78c7bcd343.jpg

Edited by mersaylee
  • Haha! 1

Just curious...

If fica was in place..

What could it do to the famous Dickson that ISD cannot? If his activities did not involve local scene.. just helping China gather US intel?

What can it do to that huang jin guy? Since not citizen. 

4 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Just curious...

If fica was in place..

What could it do to the famous Dickson that ISD cannot? If his activities did not involve local scene.. just helping China gather US intel?

What can it do to that huang jin guy? Since not citizen. 

FICA is meant to stop foreign forces like fifty cents army from influencing public opinion.

ISA is meant to stop ppl like Dickson which has local presence.

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

FICA is meant to stop foreign forces like fifty cents army from influencing public opinion.

In practical life... how?

Huang jing as example. He already removed from sg without fica. 

Can't stop those foreign 50c anyway. Local 45c surely can be dealt with like Dickson mah.

I think it is to deal with political affiliated websites like TOC. Took them a while to take them down. With this new law they probably can crush such websites indefinitely. How it affects WP or regular citizens.... I dunno. Maybe WP worry that truths get suppressed with such laws.

Who can handle the truth? Who? Who? LoL...

36 minutes ago, Playtime said:

In practical life... how?

Huang jing as example. He already removed from sg without fica. 

Can't stop those foreign 50c anyway. Local 45c surely can be dealt with like Dickson mah.

I think FICA can tell FB, Twitter to remove these users.

Unless it is Weibo, wechat🤭

Shan forget that a lot of these interference could be conducted in language he is unfamiliar with.

This is especially so among Lao hero/heroine 

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I think FICA can tell FB, Twitter to remove these users.

Unless it is Weibo, wechat🤭

Shan forget that a lot of these interference could be conducted in language he is unfamiliar with.

This is especially so among Lao hero/heroine 

hmmm... then really LPPL la...

i dont see how FB Twitter etc is ever gonna remove just because Sg govt say its an unacceptable view point... since I assume its covered under the US freedom of speech, ex an american user can probably take them to US courts for it... kick up a diplomatic incident own goal.

also then i expect them to cease PRC chinese programs lor.... "CCP is mother"... like that not consider influence meh..🤣

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Playtime said:

hmmm... then really LPPL la...

i dont see how FB Twitter etc is ever gonna remove just because Sg govt say its an unacceptable view point... since I assume its covered under the US freedom of speech, ex an american user can probably take them to US courts for it... kick up a diplomatic incident own goal.

also then i expect them to cease PRC chinese programs lor.... "CCP is mother"... like that not consider influence meh..🤣

FB has local presence. That’s why it will comply.

On the other hand, I am not sure whether anyone monitoring what was discussed in Non-English medium.

That’s the clear and present danger.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Shan looks to me more and more like those 2 high chancellor sutler or security chief creedy characters from V from Vendetta..rule by fear and hegemony!!

Edited by Kyrios

3 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

Shan looks to me more and more like those 2 high chancellor sutler or security chief creedy characters from V from Vendetta..rule by fear and hegemony!!

What he said is a real concern.

Unfortunately, this act is useless against non-English media.

↡ Advertisement