Handling Enhancement for XC40 T5

Becool73

Hello wise ones. Anyone driving a XC40 here who found the body roll a tad too much and  installed any systems to improve the body roll. Please do share. I know there are undercarriage systems to help with this. If someone has installed can share your experience please. Advance thanks. 

↡ Advertisement

5 minutes ago, Becool73 said:

Hello wise ones. Anyone driving a XC40 here who found the body roll a tad too much and  installed any systems to improve the body roll. Please do share. I know there are undercarriage systems to help with this. If someone has installed can share your experience please. Advance thanks. 

Check with Wearnes if the Rdesign sport kits on T6 can be applied to the T5. I believe your T5 is the FWD variant 

• Praise 1

Thanks for the quick response mersaylee. 

Will check. But knowing Agents, it will probably cost so much more then after market. So just checking if anyone has installed aftermarket systems for comparison. BTW, the T5 is AWD. 

Thanks for the advice. Cheers. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Lower it lo. Got lowering springs what. 

https://www.vivaperformance.com/heico-sport-lowering-springs-2019-volvo-xc40/

But also remind yourself you will be sacrificing ride comfort. 

To me the simple and foc thing to do is dont drive so fast, the body roll will be less significant.

Haha. Sound advice man, but just wondering if can help improve body roll and handling abit. The Volvo suspension if very comfortable, but at expressway cruising speed, can be abit floaty feeling. So not just for cornering, but also for stability. Thanks for the share. 

Why buy pseudo SUV in the first place if you like better handling and less roll? Get a hatch or wagon for better handling (with same practicality). 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

21 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Lower it lo. Got lowering springs what. 

https://www.vivaperformance.com/heico-sport-lowering-springs-2019-volvo-xc40/

But also remind yourself you will be sacrificing ride comfort. 

To me the simple and foc thing to do is dont drive so fast, the body roll will be less significant.

17 minutes ago, Becool73 said:

Haha. Sound advice man, but just wondering if can help improve body roll and handling abit. The Volvo suspension if very comfortable, but at expressway cruising speed, can be abit floaty feeling. So not just for cornering, but also for stability. Thanks for the share. 

Never go for just lowering springs. The suspension system works as a set, absorber and spring. Always go for full suspension upgrades. You can have a read here. https://ksportusa.com/make/volvo/xc40/

• Praise 2

before u do any major stuff like replacing aftermarket coil over, or lowering spring etc etc.

i would advice u to try a cheaper option see if u are ok with a harder ride first.

look around who sell good spring stiffener , try installing that first . 

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Becool73 said:

See if there are any thicker aftermarket ARB for XC40. decreases roll and no effect on the damping. 

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, Becool73 said:

Thanks for the quick response mersaylee. 

Will check. But knowing Agents, it will probably cost so much more then after market. So just checking if anyone has installed aftermarket systems for comparison. BTW, the T5 is AWD. 

Thanks for the advice. Cheers. 

Oh didn't know Wearnes brought in the AWD...the P3 XC60 T5 were FWD. 

Wowo lean towards comfort..even the P3 S60 and S80 would get floaty at high speed on the straight. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Becool73 said:

you can install front struct bars to try first.

if you still find the  handling  and roll is still not to your liking , you can try under carriage anti-roll bars.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

@Becool73 perhaps you should consider Bilstein shocks with (optional) lowering spring then.

I rmb Volvo Malaysia do sell Polestar factory upgrade program for their XC60 and S60 where Bilstein is their so-called "Performance dampers"

• Praise 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:45 PM, Ragingbull said:

@Becool73 perhaps you should consider Bilstein shocks with (optional) lowering spring then.

I rmb Volvo Malaysia do sell Polestar factory upgrade program for their XC60 and S60 where Bilstein is their so-called "Performance dampers"

Polestar was previously offered in SG by Wearnes too. But no longer provided by Volvo. So have to look further into some of the suggestions like yours. Many thanks peeps. Appreciate it. 

Changing to a set of  larger rims with lower profile and wider tyres  should help too.  I am not sure what the comments from the experience Volvo folks here. 

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Changing to a set of  larger rims with lower profile and wider tyres  should help too.  I am not sure what the comments from the experience Volvo folks here. 

That plus the thicker side wall tyres would only improve a bit on road holding and the very vague steering feel of wowo by a little. 

Tower strut bar and undercarriage brace are better in enhancing wowo rigidity to counter body roll...

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

That plus the thicker side wall tyres would only improve a bit on road holding and the very vague steering feel of wowo by a little. 

Tower strut bar and undercarriage brace are better in enhancing wowo rigidity to counter body roll...

Don't waste money - roll is because of soft suspension like springs, skinny anti roll bar, soft dampers, not much to do with chassis rigidity. 

Just slap on a thick thick anti roll bar. It is called ARB precisely for the reason. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1