Handling Enhancement for XC40 T5

Becool73

Also choose sports tyres with hard sidewall too, don't go for those have great reviews as comfort tyres. 

Michelin probably is out for you... Most of the side wall quite spongy. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Sorry might not be a popular opinion but upgrade the driver, meaning to say, drive within the car’s limits and don’t do herky jerky movements that make the car pitch and roll around uncomfortably. Think Takumi’s tofu. You don’t always have to throw money at the problem.

• Haha! 3

54 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Don't waste money - roll is because of soft suspension like springs, skinny anti roll bar, soft dampers, not much to do with chassis rigidity. 

Just slap on a thick thick anti roll bar. It is called ARB precisely for the reason. 

Ironically, I installed the thicker front and rear ARBs first but not much improvement to my expectation...took the plunge and got full set of strut bars and braces...then voila...cornering had neber been that shiok before...at a price though...needed to change tiyas almost every year...😁

Then installed the sport suspension kit...no difference except more sporty look because of the lower springs...

Luckily got all those mods brand new but at fire sale prices...miss those days...😂

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Its very simple really.

Lower the ride height and put low profile spot tyres.

Make your car look like this.

:D

image.thumb.png.a6bc9887842b149d290583b043d094ba.png 

4 door baby SUV mod until becum a 2 door hatch karcheng coupe? That's one hell of mod job 😁

• Haha! 2

34 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Sorry might not be a popular opinion but upgrade the driver, meaning to say, drive within the car’s limits and don’t do herky jerky movements that make the car pitch and roll around uncomfortably. Think Takumi’s tofu. You don’t always have to throw money at the problem.

Last week I took a Toyota Noah to go home as my car was servicing.... 

I thought "hor seh liao" should be quite cosy.... because I thought cars like Toyota CHR or Honda VRV rear seats really uncomfortable. 

The driver throttle skill really suck big time... 

She accelerate then tap brake.... Then accelerate then release throttle quickly even when the car in front is 20 meters away.... At 80km/hr on lane one..... 

One of the few lousy drivers I have met as a passenger. 

• Haha! 2

27 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Last week I took a Toyota Noah to go home as my car was servicing.... 

I thought "hor seh liao" should be quite cosy.... because I thought cars like Toyota CHR or Honda VRV rear seats really uncomfortable. 

The driver throttle skill really suck big time... 

She accelerate then tap brake.... Then accelerate then release throttle quickly even when the car in front is 20 meters away.... At 80km/hr on lane one..... 

One of the few lousy drivers I have met as a passenger. 

Never ask her to keep to lane 2? And do all of us a service. 

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, mersaylee said:

4 door baby SUV mod until becum a 2 door hatch karcheng coupe? That's one hell of mod job 😁

Like from this to this.

:D

image.png.ac9519765bc6b6b263243d95e1698db8.png

• Shocked 2

On 10/1/2021 at 12:29 PM, Stratovarius said:

See if there are any thicker aftermarket ARB for XC40. decreases roll and no effect on the damping. 

Thanks. Found one guy. They previously installed for my RR Evoque and it did help with the body roll. Cost is about 700plus for the entire setup- top, undercarriage front and rear setup. Might consider. Cheers. 

• Praise 1

@Strat Yea man. Found one after market supplier. Whole setup as you suggested is about 700 plus. I did install something similar to my Evoque previously. So this is a viable option. 

@Macrosszero Hey, thanks for sharing. Its ok to share your opinion. We come here to learn. But to be fair, i don't corner like Initial D, its the overall stability i was looking at. Driving an Evoque previously, had stiffer setup. But body roll was still prominent. Especially when i used to drive up to KL for some voluntary work. The XC40 is a comfy car, but driving long distances with such floaty suspension set up will make your hair stand. Basically was just seeking knowledgeable advice from experts here for considerations. Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, Becool73 said:

Thanks. Found one guy. They previously installed for my RR Evoque and it did help with the body roll. Cost is about 700plus for the entire setup- top, undercarriage front and rear setup. Might consider. Cheers. 

Any photo or link to what you may be getting? 

On 10/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, Volvobrick said:

Never ask her to keep to lane 2? And do all of us a service. 

I was trying to hold back the food from my gut.... 😅

So don't dare open my mouth 🤮

• Haha! 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:56 PM, Ct3833 said:

Looks like a Volvo problem, those who own AWD are complaining the same problem, maybe change to a Q5, X3 or GLC ?

I find XC90 more stable during higher speed. Even out those minor imperfect surface, maybe set-up is more comfort.  Is more bouncy if bumps or imperfection is more pronounce. Maybe bcos bigger car. 

Corner wise, I feel quite similar..... though AWD feel more planted than X3. 

Same speed, similar tyres, XC90 no screech, X3 got screeching sounds.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1