PSLE exams.... what is it for???

Playtime

On 10/1/2021 at 9:48 PM, Playtime said:

sometimes i wonder.... what is the purpose really?

why when US EU etc dont do things this way, yet they are the FT talents here, they make the Nobel Prizes and make the inventions.

hell.... even Uptron is considered better in the end.

So.... why are we doing this to our children? Bragging rights?

image.thumb.png.f73c13a1c28bc20ec649281932ca6075.png

To segregate the kids early.... 

So the "brighter ones“ goes to the elite Sec school.... 

Filter/weed out the" bad" ones out... So not to be bad influence for the best. 

In some western societies, the elite schools can only be afforded by the elite few, hence keeping the network "pure" and will only be nuturing the best. 

In SG we filter by results and it's align with meritocracy. 

Especially during secondary school is also the adolescent / teenage, most rebellious years. If keep the best kids by filtering the bad ones will allow them to focus on academic results without bad influence. 

PS: I was the rebellious one. 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
6 hours ago, Atonchia said:

In some western societies, the elite schools can only be afforded by the elite few, hence keeping the network "pure" and will only be nuturing the best. 

Especially during secondary school is also the adolescent / teenage, most rebellious years. If keep the best kids by filtering the bad ones will allow them to focus on academic results without bad influence. 

actually I kind of agree with this. Peers are the most important. More than teachers, etc. 

• Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Atonchia said:

And that’s precisely the elitism mindset. Whether it was fortunate and unfortunate, my kids came from one of those schools where is also for GEP (my kids are not the gifted category), elitism was clearly in the air and it was a toxic culture. 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

last time i also cried after my PSLE exam

but it's tears of joy because the shit was finally over and it's holidays time!

• Haha! 6

(edited)
9 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Look at it this way...

SAF trains hard to achieve what it's told/ given.. nothing wrong with that. 

But when soldiers start dying repeatedly,  it's no longer acceptable and things change.. some may say nothing change but that's another story. Will you accept if your sons start dying in NS for no reason other than saf bragging rights?

MOE does what it does also because it's told to do it... but how many student suicides (attempted and successful) do we have compared to dead soldiers?

Is MOE actually outkilling SAF? To put it very bluntly.

at the end... what's achieved? Any nobel prizes? Anything other than being cheap workers for MNCs? Yet now still being replaced by ceca and others.

Is this the acceptable "prize" and price.. that's the question.

For what?

Its simply meaningless to keep saying "my time bla bla bla"... that's boiling frog syndrome. 

Soul searching is badly needed. 

Edited by Playtime
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Ender said:

Drawing of block is not neccessary.

These 3 lines is sufficcent working to let the examiner know her working method.  Drawing the block is a requirement in P3 to maybe P5, coz they want to drill this method into their brain with practices. by PSLE no need to show the examiner.

As for your algerbra method, will be accepted too. But you will take longer time that a kid who is proficient in block dragram.  coz she will need 3 lines for part 1) and two lines for part ii)

The model method is an elegant way to solve such questions.  The ones I don't like are the units and parts questions which could be better solved using algebra imo...which my kids refused to learn then.

I remember your kid having psle this year? All the best to her!

Edited by TangoCharlie
  • Praise 1

10 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Late bloomers gg, low income disadvantaged by sorting too soon, imo.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

And that’s precisely the elitism mindset. Whether it was fortunate and unfortunate, my kids came from one of those schools where is also for GEP (my kids are not the gifted category), elitism was clearly in the air and it was a toxic culture. 

toxic culture or not depends on which side of the fence are you on…

i agree it is toxic 

😬🤣

• Haha! 1

20 hours ago, Ender said:

I believe coin deposit for DBS has to pay a fee, So OCBC is free ar?

dunno leh… i m the anal peasant who collects these coins to pay the kopi auntie or uncle exact change for my kopi c siew dai

😬😅

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

The model method is an elegant way to solve such questions.  The ones I don't like are the units and parts questions which could be better solved using algebra imo...which my kids refused to learn then.

I remember your kid having psle this year? All the best to her!

To me unit and part same same as algebra. From there they learn how to manipulate the u's and p's

Ya, she taking PSLE this year, thanks. She everything ok, can't gauge whether was it diffcult or not for her.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

24 minutes ago, Ender said:

To me unit and part same same as algebra. From there they learn how to manipulate the u's and p's

Ya, she taking PSLE this year, thanks. She everything ok, can't gauge whether was it diffcult or not for her.

I spent part of my morning trying to figure out how to do expedited pcr swabs for students taking psle who been exposed to covid. 

Checking with boss, lab etc etc. 

Damn silly... 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

If your 12 yo  kid's name is Helen or Ivan, ho sei, free ice cream.. I would be setting a bad example if I tell the shop assitant my daughter is Helen..

Edited by Ender
  • Haha! 2

7 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

i agree. seems the scholars all go gahmen jobs. those that are needed in engineering and r&d and jobs that make for a technological economy are filled by people who do well in testes, not those with deep interest and question what they know. 

it is a toxic culture just like the monkey and the ladder experiment. any monkey that tries to climb the ladder is beaten by the others and they think they are upholding what things should be.

7 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

i agree. seems the scholars all go gahmen jobs. those that are needed in engineering and r&d and jobs that make for a technological economy are filled by people who do well in testes, not those with deep interest and question what they know. 

it is a toxic culture just like the monkey and the ladder experiment. any monkey that tries to climb the ladder is beaten by the others and they think they are upholding what things should be.

Testes is right … carrying balls

ps: I know that was a typo😂😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5