PSLE exams.... what is it for???

Playtime

Turbocharged

2019 PSLE question. I think this one is tough. i actually think it is super interesting.... but parents will go bonkers over how hard this is... which is stupid. 

Honestly, if you only do questions you know how to do, what is the point????

image.png.49e4a17682f46d31da992c575b77f269.png

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

8 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

2019 PSLE question. I think this one is tough. i actually think it is super interesting.... but parents will go bonkers over how hard this is... which is stupid. 

28?

11 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

This is tricky, but if the students is ableto see it as a block diagram in disguise  the solution is pretty easy.

Turbocharged
10 minutes ago, Ender said:

This is tricky, but if the students is ableto see it as a block diagram in disguise  the solution is pretty easy.

the solution is so simple that is what make the question so good. I mean even a primary 1 children can do it if he can think of the solution. So clever question. 

Removed spoiler 

Edited by Wind30

23 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

the solution is so simple that is what make the question so good.

you just need to move the top left and top right semi circle so they are touching the Center semi circle… then the answer is so clear

Actually there's a old thread discussion this particular question,

But I see you remove a spoiler, so i won't post the link to the old thread which contains a few solutions.

Edited by Ender

Anyway good luck to all Psle students. Today is the last paper for most of them who aren't taking higher mother tongue.. Will be bringing my daugther for some free gelato, since I changed her name to Helen liao.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

Oh this one again. LOL. From the 2019 PSLE mathematics exam. Remembered this causing such a uproar!

FB_IMG_1633398249545.thumb.jpg.736f96958ac4ec0eb870731660b71089.jpg

Solution here : https://www.facebook.com/151318894895483/posts/3834884803205522/

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Pratakosong said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/psle-maths-question-helen-ivan-hard-answer-2219376

Commentary: Why are these PSLE maths questions so hard?

The big stressor of COVID-19, a natural focus on PSLE’s sorting role and investments in tuition combine to make PSLE maths papers a flashpoint each year, says NIE’s Jason Tan.

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/psle-math-question-has-singaporeans-memeing-what-ivan-and-helen-should-do-their-coins

😁

041021_mathHL (1).jpg

Edited by Kopites

4 hours ago, Ender said:

actually it is very easy. but i not sure why cause such a big uproar. i think maybe too much rote learning. take out every rule and tool but cannot use.

quite sad if true... again.

u/Ced_Pei

Commented on 3 hours ago

As a person who observed the tragedy at midnight, I am really really sad about that. I know some people who also saw that become so panicked/horrified that they can't sleep well and don't dare to go out, so I wrote to the PGP office the next morning and got answered. They said the RAs and the counsellors of UHC are welcome to help the residents who need counselling. So if anybody who can't sleep well because of knowing or seeing that, PLS do not hesitate to talk to the professionals for help.

Actually I do understand why the office wanna keep the whole thing confidential---they don't want to see other students terrified and wanna make the number of the people who know as small as possible. But they just underestimate the speed of news transfer in this day and time. So I don't think to hide is a good way but I do understand.

As a student who transferred here and had one year uni learning experience in China, I found that the suicide rate of uni students is really high, especially the Asian students, maybe because of the learning/life pressure. But to prevent that, unis in China set the role of “psychological commissioner“(心理委员)in every class (students have actual classes in Chinese unis) to observe the mental health of the classmates and offer help if needed. Also every semester students are supposed to do a mandatory mental health survey. Then the tutors will talk to the students who possibly have mental problems according to the results (m one of the people who have been talked to). Sometimes we just thought these sort of things really ”funny“ and tedious, but maybe that saved many students, who knows......I do think NUS should pay more attention to the mental health of students and do sth practically.

I believe that in front of our own life, everything you consider important like the CAP or love is nothing. Your life will still be wonderful if you have really low CAP but live happily with good moods everyday. And also if you are unlucky in love, you should know that all of the things you have gone through are for the final right person who will meet you in the future.

Wish all of us good luck......

On 10/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, Wind30 said:

ha i only know how to solve cos i vaguely remember the most important step from reading the thread few years ago.

But pretty sure my girl won't know how to solve this.

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

ha i only know how to solve cos i vaguely remember the most important step from reading the thread few years ago.

But pretty sure my girl won't know how to solve this.

Replace the semi circles with blocks, see if she can solve it.

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Ender said:

she's P3 and didn't get past GEP 1st round test, so don't give too much pressure. [laugh]

but yeah that's a good way to solve it. This question is really quite a good question.

9 hours ago, Ender said:

Just went through this during dinner time with my kids without the additional step of getting diameter. 

This is quite a beautiful question. 

↡ Advertisement