UK army to deliver fuel!

Mkl22

Germans with no HGV experience asked to drive lorries amid UK fuel crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/01/germans-living-in-uk-urged-to-drive-lorries-to-ease-our-fuel-crisis

Thousands of Germans who live in the UK have been written to by the government asking them to drive lorries in an attempt to ease the UK fuel crisis, even though the majority have never been at the wheel of an HGV.

The Germans were automatically included in the mailout because German driving licences issued before 1999 include an entitlement to drive small- to medium-sized trucks of up to 7.5 tonnes.

A Department for Transport (DfT) spokesperson explained that UK residents from Germany who swapped their licence for a British one would have had that element transferred to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) database. This meant they were included in the HGV category, which also covered ambulance drivers, when the DVLA sent out the letter.

One 41-year-old German man, who, along with his wife, received a copy of the letter at their London home on Friday morning, told the Independent: “We were quite surprised. I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank.

“My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity.”

Edited by pi3142
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

21 minutes ago, happy_man said:

One of the reason why there is urgency in moving forward with autonomous vehicles.

Correct, it's something I've been working on, larger AGV's and trucks in general, but the issue expands to many more sectors.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, happy_man said:

Cool! You happened to work on the PSA's project at Tuas?

Involved fractionally during trials at Pasir Panjang but it was not my main line so I concentrate on other matters within PSA as a supplier, inc. Tuas.

Elsewhere and to others, discussed automated general cargo/container handling and storage through to platooning of trucks.

What's to come is great, but 10-15yrs too early for Europe's current woes.

The larger and longer term questions will be how much can we automate as population numbers drop, from the current elder generation through younger cohorts 

• Praise 1

21 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Don’t worry, CECA going to Australia next year

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/india-australia-aim-to-seal-trade-pact-by-2022/articleshow/86669483.cms

Godspeed Australia.

Hopefully less of them here by then. 

1.3bil.. dont think they will run out of people to send here and there and everywhere..

• Haha! 3

22 hours ago, Sosaria said:

It's not only that. Transport and logistics workers - be it on ships or trucks - are totally fed up with the coronavirus restrictions and procedures that they have to follow in the course of their jobs. Imagine waiting in queue for hours, then get tested every time you have to haul a load across borders, or stuck on a ship in port because not allowed to disembark for weeks on end.

The workers are quitting. Especially now with Christmas and New Year coming soon. Nobody wants to be stuck in a queue when they can be with their families.

UK now has to look for more willing people, more desperate foreigners. Ceca might be a short-term solution. Many many just waiting to come. But will their unions accept it?

unions represent the locals right? this situation is the result of far fewer fw driving turck for them. so how come the unions which accept it before brexit will now not accept ceca?

Fake news lah. Germans don't have a sense of humour.

:D

One 41-year-old German man, who, along with his wife, received a copy of the letter at their London home on Friday morning, told the Independent: “We were quite surprised. I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank.

“My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity.”

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Fake news lah. Germans don't have a sense of humour.

:D

Maybe he had binged on British comedy and developed British humour, or this is an expressing of schadenfreude in English.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1