How to handle road hogs?

unicornfloof

I assume that most drivers have encountered road hogs every now and then (I know, they're not that fun to deal with).

While some of these road hoggers tend to be pretty new to driving, there are some incredibly annoying 'lao jiao' drivers who insist on holding up traffic during busy timings. Because of their behaviour, it's hard to switch lanes sometimes and it's even harder to keep calm when I'm in a rush.

So what do you do when you encounter road hoggers? Do you just honk at them until they speed up or do you just suck it up and follow behind until they're out of your way? 😞 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Ignore.

Put left signal, filter out once safe and if not in genuine hurry, stay on 2nd rightmost lane. 

Otherwise, filter back to first lane to carry on. 

No big deal really. Why need to get upset and try to educate these hogs. They are like pigs though pigs have a higher value than these. 

Seriously. You also can improve your driving skills and help neck circulation when you check blindspots before filtering. If lucky, even the finger you use to chut signals will feel exercised. 

😁😂😂😂 I honestly have no patience with road hogs and it is easy to ignore them. Why give them the ability to spoil a nice driving moment. 

Yada-ing 

Stay safe all. 

Cheers 

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
15 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

I assume that most drivers have encountered road hogs every now and then (I know, they're not that fun to deal with).

While some of these road hoggers tend to be pretty new to driving, there are some incredibly annoying 'lao jiao' drivers who insist on holding up traffic during busy timings. Because of their behaviour, it's hard to switch lanes sometimes and it's even harder to keep calm when I'm in a rush.

So what do you do when you encounter road hoggers? Do you just honk at them until they speed up or do you just suck it up and follow behind until they're out of your way? 😞 

Firstly, if you are in a rush, don't drive hastily. 😆 If the meeting is late, just sound them out, if it is a life and death emergency, your own life is at your hands too. So you should drive sensibly to reach the destination to attend your business.

For road hoggers, you cannot get irritated if you are not bothered by them. Just let them win. Most they will pester you 1-2 min, if you do not take any action, they will just speed off.

There are so many morons living in this world already, why join them?

• Praise 5

17 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Ignore.

Put left signal, filter out once safe and if not in genuine hurry, stay on 2nd rightmost lane. 

Otherwise, filter back to first lane to carry on. 

No big deal really. Why need to get upset and try to educate these hogs. They are like pigs though pigs have a higher value than these. 

Seriously. You also can improve your driving skills and help neck circulation when you check blindspots before filtering. If lucky, even the finger you use to chut signals will feel exercised. 

😁😂😂😂 I honestly have no patience with road hogs and it is easy to ignore them. Why give them the ability to spoil a nice driving moment. 

Yada-ing 

Stay safe all. 

Cheers 

But what if they play the braking game? 😞 That's actually one of my worst fears while encountering road hogs. I don't like when they hog and then when you try to change lane, they follow as well. 😠 Pisses me off so much!

11 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Firstly, if you are in a rush, don't drive hastily. 😆 If the meeting is late, just sound them out, if it is a life and death emergency, your own life is at your hands too. So you should drive sensibly to reach the destination to attend your business.

For road hoggers, you cannot get irritated if you are not bothered by them. Just let them win. Most they will pester you 1-2 min, if you do not take any action, they will just speed off.

There are so many morons living in this world already, why join them?

HAHAHAH I'll admit that sometimes it takes me a while to realise what they're doing and by the time I do, I'm usually stuck following them until they decide to end their nonsense. Guess I should open my eyes big big next time >~<

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Phang said:

I admit, I overtake them from the left

✍️ overtake ✍️ road ✍️ hoggers ✍️ from ✍️ the ✍️ left ✍️

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Just overtake them when you have the chance.

What is the use of horning / high beam? 

even if you are in a rush, do not drive recklessly. From experience, you can't save much time even if you overtake the road hogger too if the traffic is bad. If the traffic is good, then overtaking must be easy and you can be well on your way ignoring the road hogger.

Nowadays, I will advise patience driving, as there are cyclists, jaywalkers on handphones, delivery drivers to look out for. Please be safe.

• Praise 4

2 minutes ago, Silverkris said:

Just overtake them when you have the chance.

What is the use of horning / high beam? 

even if you are in a rush, do not drive recklessly. From experience, you can't save much time even if you overtake the road hogger too if the traffic is bad. If the traffic is good, then overtaking must be easy and you can be well on your way ignoring the road hogger.

Nowadays, I will advise patience driving, as there are cyclists, jaywalkers on handphones, delivery drivers to look out for. Please be safe.

😟 But what if they stop and road rage at you? Especially since I'm still new to driving, they cfm see me no upz 😨  

• Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

But what if they play the braking game? 😞 That's actually one of my worst fears while encountering road hogs. I don't like when they hog and then when you try to change lane, they follow as well. 😠 Pisses me off so much!

No smoke without fire or no fire without smoke, whatever suits the fold of events. 

I was taught to gauge/made aware of road situation 10 cars infront and 10 cars behind. Hence, I can see the pig, I mean road hog infront way before I am right behind him /her. I have the time, distance and skills to filter out safely. 

What play brake stop brake no stop? I am likely already 10 cars away from pig, road hog even before he/she knows. Just that, I am in the next lane, not on the same first lane. 

The point is, I get to my destination safely. Not about getting to destination all the way from driving on lane 1. Unless I have been missing something like there is a prize for doing so. 

Dun put yourself in that situation of playing brakes. Brake pads not expensive but time spent at workshop is cos can get poisoned if mechanic want to change his car with your money. 😂

You decide. Not let pigs decide how you should feel and behave. Dun go down that level. I can't bring lane 1 home. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Ps: my approach has always been preventive, not reactive.

Perhaps because I am fine staying on 2nd rightmost lane or whichever lane allows smooth flow of traffic, I have not encountered any play with brakes pigs. I go first lane to overtake and filter back. Yes, I not happy to donate more than necessary so wallet sensitive one. Plus, I left my ego at home and mindset is tuned to share the roads. 

I have very good driving instructors. One always tell me to treat all road users as idiots. That made me very alert once I start driving. 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 3

29 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

Rev your engine like you are going to race them at the traffic lights

and after they accelerate away just turn left.

:D

The further you are away from an idiot

the safer you will be.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Drive an old beat up car

no one will play chicken with you.

Even merging lanes they also

ALWAYS give way!

:D

I sell old cars at a good price.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

16 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

😟 But what if they stop and road rage at you? Especially since I'm still new to driving, they cfm see me no upz 😨  

@unicornfloof 

You mean you are the road hogger or overtaker?

I do not think anyone will road rage at you if you overtake safely, sometimes the road hoggers are just taking their own sweet way of driving (in 1st lane!). So if you overtake them without them needing to apply abruptly, I do not think they will bother about you.

If you are the road hogger, please move out of 1st lane, you can drive your sweet way on other lanes, no one will bother you too.

↡ Advertisement