I swerved to avoid an accident and fell victim to an incident of road rage. Now what?

thatJDMahboy

The above reminded me of an incident that I previously experienced:

This one time, a chain collision took place on lane 1 of the expressway, but I managed to check my side mirrors and swerve out of the lane in time to avoid being part of the chain collision.

I came close (there was a fair bit of distance) to the car behind me on lane 2 when I decided to swerve out of my lane. And this resulted in endless honking and scolding from the car behind me as I had cut him abruptly.

What I did was not entirely right or wrong. In fact, I feel it was a dilemma-kind of situation. If you were in my shoes, what would you have done differently?

↡ Advertisement

I will be grateful that I did not hit anything and just being honked..what i did differently is no need to report here and ask for opinion [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

When drivers pass their driving test everything goes out the window. 

How many car lengths, agar agar you are suppose to maintain? Ring a bell?

The less space you give yourself between you and the car in front the less time you give yourself to react. It is not difficult to maintain a distance.

The Malaysian truck is not a good example to give. I have heard of these drivers taking drugs or/and drunk. Most likely not sober. 

• Praise 5

44 minutes ago, thatJDMahboy said:

This one time, a chain collision took place on lane 1 of the expressway, but I managed to check my side mirrors and swerve out of the lane in time to avoid being part of the chain collision.

I came close (there was a fair bit of distance) to the car behind me on lane 2 when I decided to swerve out of my lane. And this resulted in endless honking and scolding from the car behind me as I had cut him abruptly.

What I did was not entirely right or wrong. In fact, I feel it was a dilemma-kind of situation. If you were in my shoes, what would you have done differently?

Endless honking and scolding is considered road rage?

You need to grow a thicker hide la. Do you know that you could have killed the guy in the car behind by swerving out without checking if it were clear?

• Praise 5

Supercharged

Why swerve? I don't remember Singapore Highway code teach us to swerve ley. Lane changing is ok if time & space allows for for that maneuver, but that's different from swerving.   [laugh]

• Praise 1

Tio horn and gesticulate only mah. All in a day's experience driving on Singapore's roads. 

Sometimes its better to just eat humble pie and wave sorry, and then wave sorry again to be sure, then move on.

Go home then heave a sigh of relief you're not still at the incident location exchanging particulars or waiting for a tow truck or worse an ambulance to come.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Deserve it!

The ONLY reason people need to swerve

is cannot stop in time.

Cannot stop in time is because driver is an idiot!

:D

Idiots deserve to be fooked!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

5 hours ago, thatJDMahboy said:

can swerve if there is a  moose but not a car. 🤪

So good ah ur driving skill can swerve and check mirror and BLINDSPOT at the same time

u r lucky u didn’t kill biker otherwise u will be living with guilt for the rest of your lives

if u cant brake swerve right, the road divider is for u to kiss

• Praise 4

Yesterday I just long horn someone like this 

I am not the first guy to meet the suddenly change lane guy 

I am the 2nd guy but free horn so must as well

behind all the people pass by all free horn the joker :XD:

• Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Deserve it!

The ONLY reason people need to swerve

is cannot stop in time.

Cannot stop in time is because driver is an idiot!

:D

Idiots deserve to be fooked!

Totally agree with you. I thought we were taught in driving school to hold firmly steering wheel, brace yourself, apply brakes and lock your knee. As you mentioned, if safety distance is maintained, I don’t see why cannot stop in time. Swerving will cause you to hit the car next to you, or worst sent a rider flying. If too high speed, car will flip lor. And to answer to bro @Watwheels question, maintain a car length for every 10km/h (e.g. 5 car lengths for travelling at 50km/h), and the distance doubled if wet weather/roads. 

Seen too many posts on FaceBook of such instances and got ppl comment ‘cam car good driving skills’, ‘lucky beside you no car’, etc etc. And usually is approaching traffic junctions and cam car is not reducing speed. I was like wtf lor.

And got ppl comment say ‘if apply e-brakes, then what if ppl bang you from behind?’ Ppl bang you from behind means they never follow safety distance also. You rather swerve and whack others beside you (cause inconvenience to innocent ppl or worst kill the rider you sent flying) and fight for insurance or claim 100% from the one behind you? Weight it yourself. 

• Praise 3

Swerving is just indicative of a very self-serving and selfish mindset. 

The traffic rules should be amended to hang drivers who swerve in the event of an imminent collision 

• Praise 2

12 hours ago, kr_mcf said:

I will be grateful that I did not hit anything and just being honked..what i did differently is no need to report here and ask for opinion [laugh]

Yeah, just avoid and move on, that's what I'll do.

If you are driving overseas, you are best protected to take the crash and let the safety features of the car protect you. If you swerve on dual-carriageway, you could be hit by an oncoming truck at speed. You can also lose control and go down a steep ravine, rolling over a few times in the process. Or crash through railings into a deep river or sea. In all these scenarios, hitting the car/cow/kangaroo in front  is your best chance of survival.  You swerve when cannot brake in time, only to avoid a pedestrian. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2