Cat B COE continues upward rise, and supply for upcoming quarter expected to shrink significantly

awhtc

Although COE price is rising and likely to continue to be so, drivers can drive hitch or even use their car as phv to drive four hours a day to cover the cost of car ownership.  From others' experience, four hours during peak period should be enough.  So it is still a viable way to own a car amidst the rising cost.  Four hours a day is about what most here in spends in mcf. 😁 The only deterrent is the high insurance premium and the stigma, if any.

Edited by Ingenius
↡ Advertisement

On 10/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, Ct3833 said:

The reason they tighten the loan was because there were many COE supply then, PHV suppliers likeLCR was budding COR aggressively, if too many people were overly leveraged and ran into default, the situation  will impact the economy,  that was why they tighten the loan then. I mentioned before, now the COE quota is significantly lower, only the rich could afford high premium COE, MAS does not need to worry for them  even  there will be default, the number of cases will be so low that MAS does not have to be worried about.  We will be wrong  to hope that MAS will  tighten the loan further. If any, they will likely to relax the rules instead of  tightening it.

Monthly quota Nov-Jan2022 will be 1063 CatA and 1173 CatB.  Nov2011 quota was1107 CatA  722 CatB.  cat A was 55k and CatB 77k

it was still lower 10 years ago for quota numbers and price was also higher and it was not even the lowest quota and high price yet.

Thus much more room for prices to go even higher accounting for inflation and a larger population size. i agree that they wont do anything to the loan amounts. govt needs the cash after giving out so much over the last 1.5years

• Praise 3

9 minutes ago, Ingenius said:

Although COE price is rising and likely to continue to be so, drivers can drive hitch or even use their car as phv to drive four hours a day to cover the cost of car ownership.  From others' experience, four hours during peak period should be enough.  So it is still a viable way to own a car amidst the rising cost.  Four hours a day is about what most here in spends in mcf. 😁 The only deterrent is the high insurance premium and the stigma, if any.

spend 4 hour a day driving grab just to own a car? 😪

• Haha! 4

48 minutes ago, Ingenius said:

Still got such thingy?

Thought most of GRAB is now full-timers.

part-timers won't be interested as now need to take special certification + much less $$ incentives.

6 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Still got such thingy?

Thought most of GRAB is now full-timers.

part-timers won't be interested as now need to take special certification + much less $$ incentives.

Oh i didn't know they need special certification now, but i don't think that is difficult if one want to.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, Voodooman said:

Actually I agree with you. 

Effective (read: expensive) Pay Per Use ERP won't happen, it is just too complicated politically.

Yeah lah - people will complain it benefits the lich with multiple underused cars, while those need to drive/bike around to deliver parcels, food or passengers will be heavily penalised. 

But isn't ERP supposed to deter usage? Whether delivering passengers or driving around for fun contributes equally to road congestion. 

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Yeah lah - people will complain it benefits the lich with multiple underused cars, while those need to drive/bike around to deliver parcels, food or passengers will be heavily penalised. 

But isn't ERP supposed to deter usage? Whether delivering passengers or driving around for fun contributes equally to road congestion. 

If i stay in CCK and someone stays in Sentosa and we both work in CBD, how?   Lol... Sometimes policies cannot be just based on numbers, must consider feeling. 😂

Edited by Voodooman

7 hours ago, Ingenius said:

PHVs are mostly Cat A unless they're hybrids though. Cat B cars are too expensive to make sense from a PHV perspectiv.e

On 10/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, Voodooman said:

Actually I agree with you. 

Effective (read: expensive) Pay Per Use ERP won't happen, it is just too complicated politically.

Pay per use system (or something like distance fee) is possible. 

Need not necessarily be gps satellite linked system to track mileage.
Can install a device that record and transmit a vehicle's trip meter or odometer reading to LTA's servers and they work out the fees.
When I drove rental cars from carclub, i think that's how they track my distance and bill the mileage costs.

• Praise 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, Kyrios said:

Dilemma..car is 6 years old this month...should i wait till GE 2025 when usually prices will soften? 😆

With the way transport system is improving, there is a few options to consider.

sell car now and shore up resources.. 

wait for the car market to softened? A bit of a stretch because ice and EV may spur another cat if coe n you effectively reduce even further the supply .. 

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Buyers drive up COE not dealers.

And yes buyers affect COE and COE does not affect buyers.

:D

Ha ha ya I know the buyers are the one to buy and pay so by right is buyer. 

But so AD as usual coming year-end need to hot quota give very good offer to entice buyers and with G-COE even though most people think COE going up because of quota cuts. 

So for example, some AD offer the car at $9x,xxx with G-COE. The buyer already commit o this amount so contribute a main portion to nation building. But the dealer need to secure COE so need to bid higher even if it eat into their margin (or even making a small loss in very rare cases). So that's why I think the dealers drive up the COE (as in the increase). 

So for example based on last CE CAT A $47K, buyers contribute this amount, then say tomorrow increased to $50K, the dealer contribute $3K.

Ha ha just my way of thinking.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, CPT_James_T_Kirk said:

PHVs are mostly Cat A unless they're hybrids though. Cat B cars are too expensive to make sense from a PHV perspectiv.e

There are many Cat B Grab on the road, Their income was disrupted  but still want to keep the car if not no face🤣

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1