What are your thoughts on the newly recommended cycling rules?

Stocker

3 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Yah hardly.. you know why? Most time they beat red light! whahahahahhahaha.. They will observe left right up down no car then throttle on!

Some cyclist too.. most older folk does this too.. because they still believe it is their Grandfather road! 😂

yes. esp grab . somehow i am bias toward panda. i feel panda rider behave better ( personally)

but bad cyclist from food delivery rider is hardly a good excuse for leisure cyclist to break the law also??

Edited by Beregond
↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Ody_2004 said:

This morning on my usual ride saw many many more cyclist compare to a normal Sunday.

The "block" formation is good but the issue is 2 or more blocks are close to each other. (recommendation 30m right?). So eventually perceive as ONE BIG Block. Cycling group got different pace.. the slow one eventually will be overtake by the faster one.. to over take such group the riders will need to goes to the edge of the lane or even touching the 2nd lane. when happen they appear in Stomp or SGRV video again..

Anyway to me no matter what rule or wat, license/registration or not; just be gracious to one another. Be it driver, rider, cyclist, pedestrian. 

Majority are not causing inconvenience to others.

No rules will please everyone.

Cycling has always been a group sports for a long time.

In the end, there will still large group of cyclists on the road.

• Praise 1

I am fine with no registration. 

Provided all cost of the damages to vehicle are borne by garment since they allowed them to have no insurance and registration on the road. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Provided all cost of the damages to vehicle are borne by garment since they allowed them to have no insurance and registration on the road. 

You should worry about your medical cost if bicycle knocks you down in pedestrian or PCN.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 4

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

You should worry about your medical cost if bicycle knocks you down in pedestrian or PCN.

I have seen people knocked down by mountain bike at PCN.  Can victim claim from biker?  I doubt so.  Just asking.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, MafiaGeek said:

I have seen people knocked down by mountain bike at PCN.  Can victim claim from biker?  I doubt so.  Just asking.

Either Small Claims Tribunal or Court.

• Praise 1

I have to keep 1.5m away from cyclists, what if they will come within 1.5m of my car? They don't need to study highway code leh.  😂

KNS, they can break the laws but motorists can't. I am sure there are many more law abiding motorists than cyclists coz there are no penalty for cyclists (a lot are habitual red light cheongsters btw). 

Okok... Let's be gracious and share share.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

On 10/1/2021 at 3:05 PM, Kklim said:

No bicycle registration needed; motorists should keep 1.5m distance when passing cyclists: Panel
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/no-bicycle-registration-needed-motorists-should-keep-at-least-15m-passing

Can't get more lame than this. No requirement to keep left (now just a guideline), no caution against running red light, no zilch. As usual, compare Singapore with other countries, not other cities.

what abt safety distance for cyclists passing pedestrians (or other cyclists) on pavement/pcn? often see them zooming past with the slightest clearance. Just need one small misjudgment and then... 

• Praise 2

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/getting_around/active_mobility/rules_public_education/rules_code_of_conduct/pdf/2021-10_amap_report_for_the_review_of_on-road_safety.pdf
“2. Background
2.1 The COVID-19 pandemic has led to more people taking up cycling and other active mobility modes. With more users on our roads, we need to ensure that spaces continue to be shared safely and graciously by all users. While the majority of cyclists and motorists on roads are law-abiding and gracious, there have been reports of inconsiderate and errant behaviour by a minority of cyclists and motorists. These incidents have been amplified in mainstream and social media, leading to tensions among different road users. Various suggestions have also been made by members of the public and different road users to improve road safety.”

18 hours ago, inlinesix said:

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/getting_around/active_mobility/rules_public_education/rules_code_of_conduct/pdf/2021-10_amap_report_for_the_review_of_on-road_safety.pdf
“2. Background
2.1 The COVID-19 pandemic has led to more people taking up cycling and other active mobility modes. With more users on our roads, we need to ensure that spaces continue to be shared safely and graciously by all users. While the majority of cyclists and motorists on roads are law-abiding and gracious, there have been reports of inconsiderate and errant behaviour by a minority of cyclists and motorists. These incidents have been amplified in mainstream and social media, leading to tensions among different road users. Various suggestions have also been made by members of the public and different road users to improve road safety.”

This paragraph was spot on. Road cycling and leotards aren't something new in Singapore, and car cameras are also not new. But its only after Covid broke out that we witnessed a lot of expressway cycling shenanigans. New and clueless riders who are absolutely clueless riding on the roads. 

• Praise 1

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2021 at 11:40 AM, Hamburger said:

so car bang them is car fault, they bang car is car fault,...either way car at fault, and either way, we pay if they are hospitalized, damage to bike and car.....car driver have to pay everything!!

what a wonderful bunch of experts we have....[laugh]

better dun drive lah, all use bike and bullock...[laugh]

• Haha! 1

A government panel recently proposed a new set of recommendations to review regulations and enhance road safety.

The newly recommended road cycling rules and guidelines proposed are:

1. To continue allowing cyclists to ride abreast in a maximum of 2 on roads with two or more lanes. 
  2. Introduce a rule for on-road cycling groups, for them to limit their group length to 5 bicycles. Essentially, this means a limit of five cyclists in a single file or ten cyclists when riding abreast.  
  3. Introduce a guideline to ensure a safe distance of 2 lamp posts (30 metres) between riding groups. 
  4. Introduce a guideline in the Highway Code and driving test handbooks that require motorists to have a minimum passing distance of 1.5 metres when passing cyclists.  
  5. Highly encourage cyclists to sign up for third-party liability insurance. When involved in an accident, third-party insurance will compensate for victims and protect cyclists from potentially expensive claims. 

Read more here: 

After looking at the recommendations, it just seems ineffective. These recommendations are not tackling the main issues of accountability and enforcement at all.

Incidents such as the one below will continue to endanger motorists and fellow road users.

What are your thoughts on these new proposed rules and guidelines? What rules and guidelines do you think should be proposed instead?

2 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

dont get me started.. gahmen really staffed lta with a bunch of morons.

What were your thoughts after reading the proposed recommendations?🤣