What are your thoughts on the newly recommended cycling rules?

Stocker

I obsubtly love those new rules.

When i decided to retire or semi retire after cov19.

I will  go buy a bike and some tights to show off my stomach  and i will scout for my mp cars and drive in front of them every day.

Maybe find another  bro from here join me. We ride side by side. I will take video and make sure they keep 1.5m when over take

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6

Internal Moderator

So my father who ride a bike daily to his favourite bread stall need to buy 3rd party insurance? 😂

Got PAYR (pay-as-you-ride) scheme anot. hahaha. My father one year also won't hit 50km leh. hahahahahaha

• Haha! 2

i actually went cycling with someone who was into some cycling. he drives too.

he says never do 2 abreast. disagrees with this nonsense

follow the traffic rules like you are a motorcycle. when you cross filter lanes, try to time it so that you dont obstruct traffic

right turn lanes, try to time it with less traffic and keep out of the way of traffic and not think you are entitled. anyone can knock you down if they not careful

• Praise 6

i actually like the words used in the recommendations , but it should be re-arrange this way

Introduce a guideline in the Highway Code and test handbooks that require cyclists to have a minimum passing distance of 1.5 metres when passing  driving  motorists

Just wondering abt the 1.5m rule...if the cyclist stop beside my car at the traffic light....is he breaking the rule or am i breaking the rule??

When traffic light turns green, I need to wait for him to ride 1.5m in front while stopping the cars behind me just for him?  Den signal right and go into the next lane...but if the next lane full of traffic and I'm unable to change lane....is he hogging the road or am i hogging the road? Some roads not wide enough to squeeze both bicycle and car in 1 lane.

As for whoever passed the rule, may he or she encounter these errant cyclists everyday for the next 5 years. Especially when driving in busy 2 lanes road.

• Haha! 5

And can anyone teach me howto gauge 1.5m from cyclist when driving ah. I don't have 360 view cam. Even if i do i wun be able to gauge it too. 

If i try to keep 1.5m away while overtaking, the cyclist suddenly ride fron left most into the middle of the road, do i get penalised for not meeting the 1.5m?

And ah...when crossing traffic light, if the cyclist (wait on the road because of red light) turn pedestrain (cycle on the pedestrain crossing) turn cyclist (cycle back onto road midway thorough or at the end of the pedestrain crossing)...dangerous for drivers on the left lane sia. Actually encounter this a few times... 

Edited by Vinxuen

9 hours ago, Vinxuen said:

Just wondering abt the 1.5m rule...if the cyclist stop beside my car at the traffic light....is he breaking the rule or am i breaking the rule??

When traffic light turns green, I need to wait for him to ride 1.5m in front while stopping the cars behind me just for him?  Den signal right and go into the next lane...but if the next lane full of traffic and I'm unable to change lane....is he hogging the road or am i hogging the road? Some roads not wide enough to squeeze both bicycle and car in 1 lane.

As for whoever passed the rule, may he or she encounter these errant cyclists everyday for the next 5 years. Especially when driving in busy 2 lanes road.

I thought the 1.5 m rules already existed the day highway code was implemented?

It's in Basic theory? 

It's for pedestrian as well for roads without pavement? 

If pedestrian walking against traffic is lesser than 1.5m.

If same direction as traffic is 1.5m.

My basic theory taken than 25years already.... So can recall the actual distance stated. 

9 hours ago, Vinxuen said:

And can anyone teach me howto gauge 1.5m from cyclist when driving ah. I don't have 360 view cam. Even if i do i wun be able to gauge it too. 

If i try to keep 1.5m away while overtaking, the cyclist suddenly ride fron left most into the middle of the road, do i get penalised for not meeting the 1.5m?

And ah...when crossing traffic light, if the cyclist (wait on the road because of red light) turn pedestrain (cycle on the pedestrain crossing) turn cyclist (cycle back onto road midway thorough or at the end of the pedestrain crossing)...dangerous for drivers on the left lane sia. Actually encounter this a few times... 

How wide is a lane? 

If we know the Average width of the lane then can estimate. 

If lane is 3m wide. 

Then if your centre console is on the lane marking will likely be more than 1.5m to the road. Given most cars are less 2m wide. 

Unless the cyclist is in the middle of the left lane instead of closer to the double yellow line. 

Edited by Atonchia

On 10/7/2021 at 12:36 PM, Nolicense said:

i actually went cycling with someone who was into some cycling. he drives too.

he says never do 2 abreast. disagrees with this nonsense

follow the traffic rules like you are a motorcycle. when you cross filter lanes, try to time it so that you dont obstruct traffic

right turn lanes, try to time it with less traffic and keep out of the way of traffic and not think you are entitled. anyone can knock you down if they not careful

This is just common sense but most cyclist just want to ride the way they want.

These cyclist when caught flouting traffic rules should be penalise by spending 1 month at ECP Road Safety Park (is it still operating?) for community work on top of monetary fine.

↡ Advertisement