Why do drivers think they can beat the red light?

unicornfloof

I'm sure we all have done it before - charging through an empty street and speeding up even as the light turns red. Seems pretty harmless, especially when it's late at night and the whole street is quiet and empty, right? 

Well, I've written this article about a driver who beat the red light and ended up running over a food delivery rider who was waiting for the red light. While I can understand why drivers tend to beat the red light when the street is empty, I don't really get why drivers think they can do the same when there is clearly traffic and pedestrians crossing the junction. What exactly goes through a driver's mind when they attempt to beat the red light at busy areas? 🤨 Do they really think they could do it without any severe consequences?

↡ Advertisement

4 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

punishment is too light to be taken seriously. It is same logic with littering. If Singapore don't fine people $300 for littering, you really think our street will be clean? Japan street is clean because citizens wants it clean. In Sg, we are scared being fined by NEA. 

Fine $400 and 12 pts? $400 is peanut if you drive a car worth half a million. 12pts can be settled, you know how...

No one is scared of littering. Havent you see the multitude of workers cleaning everyday.Our streets would be covered with garbage if not for them.

• Praise 1

39 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

I'm sure we all have done it before - charging through an empty street and speeding up even as the light turns red. Seems pretty harmless, especially when it's late at night and the whole street is quiet and empty, right? 

Well, I've written this article about a driver who beat the red light and ended up running over a food delivery rider who was waiting for the red light. While I can understand why drivers tend to beat the red light when the street is empty, I don't really get why drivers think they can do the same when there is clearly traffic and pedestrians crossing the junction. What exactly goes through a driver's mind when they attempt to beat the red light at busy areas? 🤨 Do they really think they could do it without any severe consequences?

I think u miss the point.

From your title  i would  assume u are asking why driver beat red light on purpose. Meaning they saw  the red light they see no incoming traffic they can stop but they refuse to do so and beat it.

It different from alot of real cases esp when accident happen. Like your cases u mention, i dun think  the driver is trying to beat the red light  and try to get away with it. Most like they didn't  even spot the red light. Dreaming on some holiday, on handphone , looking at movie, they are distracted  and beat the red light unknowingly. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

I can only say this…for some…the vision is tunneled once the mind is made up…macam the opening of the economy…nothing else matter much till hit the hard wall…😅

Edited by mersaylee
  • Haha! 1

36 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

punishment is too light to be taken seriously. It is same logic with littering. If Singapore don't fine people $300 for littering, you really think our street will be clean? Japan street is clean because citizens wants it clean. In Sg, we are scared being fined by NEA. 

Fine $400 and 12 pts? $400 is peanut if you drive a car worth half a million. 12pts can be settled, you know how...

Who scared of NEA? Litter everywhere, especially cig butts...

• Praise 1

I want to know as well. Can someone interview that merc driver?

Want to lao sai is the most common excuse. What do you think?

FOS? I think so too.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 1

I never beat red light because I scared get whack from the right side.

If I driving my MIL whack from the left I don't mind.

:D

• Haha! 1

Lack of driving experience and have the same thoughts process like a 4 year old kid who refuse to wear seat belts in the rear.. so when something bad occur, the other party should have been more careful 

Internal Moderator

Some drivers just find that their car is fast enough for that split second. They just have to step hard on the accelerator and the car can dash across.

I like to kui vtec also. but not when there is a traffic light condition.

got traffic light means got pedestrian. it is dangerous. Not worth it lah.

The side of your car is the weakest point.

If you run red light you will get whack from the side.

It's a cross junction it's impossible to get hit anywhere else.

:D

Why even think of beating red light?