Taiwan Fire at Taiwan tower block kills at least 46

Kopites

Partially abandoned building yet still occupied. Hope we will never reach such a stage here. My observation is those HDB shop units stack to the brim, including the upper unit meant for resident also act as storage. Covered walkway filled till pedestrians have to walk on the road. Somehow so many authorities personnel walked pass nobody notice. HDB even draw boxes for them to place more items. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Partially abandoned building yet still occupied. Hope we will never reach such a stage here. My observation is those HDB shop units stack to the brim, including the upper unit meant for resident also act as storage. Covered walkway filled till pedestrians have to walk on the road. Somehow so many authorities personnel walked pass nobody notice. HDB even draw boxes for them to place more items. 

As for Taiwan case the fatality number is shocking. Near 50 dead?😱

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

Hopefully this type of case does not happen here. I was told by a fire safety trainer that our buildings are compartmentalised, meaning if thete is a fire, it will not spread to the neighbouring units.

• Praise 1

"The building's lower section had once housed restaurants, karaoke bars and a cinema, but these were reportedly no longer in use. A number of residents in the block of about 120 apartments are thought to be old or to have disabilities."

The upper floor for the old and disable resident, Kaohsiung is known to be 又老有穷  place among whole Taiwan.

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

"The building's lower section had once housed restaurants, karaoke bars and a cinema, but these were reportedly no longer in use. A number of residents in the block of about 120 apartments are thought to be old or to have disabilities."

The upper floor for the old and disable resident, Kaohsiung is known to be 又老有穷  place among whole Taiwan.

Thought kaoshiung is top 2 or 3 city in taiwan

• Praise 1

Taiwan fire safety seems to be always not good.

When visiting there, I don't dare to book those hotels that has no window in the room.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

Hopefully this type of case does not happen here. I was told by a fire safety trainer that our buildings are compartmentalised, meaning if thete is a fire, it will not spread to the neighbouring units.

Ture but it will only works when you don't block the opening of the compartmentalisation and prevent it from closing. The way we cramp up the space, even the fire shutter won't be able to close properly. Don't forget, HDB has only 1 exit stair case. Safety vs Business, till something happen, people tends to just focus on $

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Ture but it will only works when you don't block the opening of the compartmentalisation and prevent it from closing. The way we cramp up the space, even the fire shutter won't be able to close properly. Don't forget, HDB has only 1 exit stair case. Safety vs Business, till something happen, people tends to just focus on $

I think you are referring to those point blocks which has only one staircase. Slab blocks or mixed blocks have more than one. But then, it depends on where the fire starts. 

To developers, profit means everything. That is why Pasir Ris One's corridors are only barely 1.2 m wide!

15 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

I think you are referring to those point blocks which has only one staircase. Slab blocks or mixed blocks have more than one. But then, it depends on where the fire starts. 

To developers, profit means everything. That is why Pasir Ris One's corridors are only barely 1.2 m wide!

All private apartments have to meet with 2 fire escape staircases with transfer floor. When you have 1.2 m, and doors that open into the escape corridor, not to mention shoe racks and flower pots. All these still cannot beat the HDB shop units that pack to the brim included the corridor apaces. NTUC in HDB block is a very classic example. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, happy_man said:

Every city has its own poorer population. What is odd is the building isn't very old - just 40 years.

Some of our 1970s HDB are in better condition than many of the residential housing in TW.

One of Singapore strength is having the BMSMA and HDB has their own code

• Praise 2

Very near my friend's place. he told me last night, this building tenants all never follow the law one. Just one comment. They don't feel anything leh. They just go on with life

20 hours ago, Victor68 said:

For this , we have to give credit to the eh dee bee! Every 5 years once. But the quality has dropped a lot!😥Fallen wall tiles are replaced with cement!😥

20 hours ago, Victor68 said:

I used to stay in one of the old HDB point blocks that was near a hawker centre.  It only had one staircase and I noticed cooking oil, rice etc was being kept at one nook on the 2nd storey.  😨  Moved out of there as as soon as I could.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, JanM said:

I used to stay in one of the old HDB point blocks that was near a hawker centre.  It only had one staircase and I noticed cooking oil, rice etc was being kept at one nook on the 2nd storey.  😨  Moved out of there as as soon as I could.

It could have easily solve but just incompetent staff 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1