Chevy's new naturally aspirated engine is over 1000HP!

enzoalec92

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-crate-engine-zz632-1000-horsepower/

"GM's 1,000 hp 632 cubic-inch crate engine is its largest and most powerful ever

This monstrous motor clocks in at over 10.3 liters of displacement and makes more than 1,000 horsepower on pump gas without a turbo or nitrous.

image.thumb.png.3ab88d9ff0c62be9937109ea181ee6c6.png

This 1,004-horsepower monster is the biggest crate engine GM has ever offered.

They say that when it comes to making power and torque, there is no replacement for displacement. While that's slightly less true these days with super-efficient turbocharged engines and EVs, the folks at General Motors are holding fast to that ideology with their latest crate engine, the ZZ632/1000, which clocks in at a whopping 632 cubic inches of displacement and which was announced on Wednesday.

For those of you not accustomed to working in old money, that's 10.36 liters. For comparison's sake, the utterly massive Dodge Viper engine only weighed in at 8.4 liters and with two more cylinders. As its somewhat unwieldy name suggests, the 632-cubic-inch crate engine produces a whopping 1,004 naturally aspirated horsepower. It also makes 876 pound-feet of torque, and it does both on 93-octane pump gas.

Apart from its displacement, there are a few notable features that make the ZZ632 special. Chief among these are the aluminum RS-X symmetrical port cylinder heads, which, unlike many previous big block head designs, have identically sized intake and exhaust ports for each cylinder, which helps ensure that all the engine's eight cylinders produce the same power.

The ZZ632 shares its block architecture with GM's only slightly less elephantine ZZ572 crate engine but features a bore that's been increased by 0.040-inch. The engine's stroke has also been lengthened over the ZZ572's by 0.375-inch, which accounts for the bulk of the displacement increase. The engine also features forged steel connecting rods and crankshaft, which helps with engine longevity. GM claims that the ZZ632 withstood 200 simulated dragstrip passes without issue.

Unlike some of its other high-performance crate engine offerings, GM isn't placing a cap on ZZ632 production, and, in even better news for speed freaks, the engines will be kept in stock rather than being built to order. We don't have pricing yet for this monster of an engine, but we suspect it will land somewhere north of the approximately $16,300 that is being charged for the ZZ572."

It's a tragedy Singapore doesn't have any muscle cars apart from the current-gen Mustang - and even that's stretching the definition of "muscle car", considering how the platform is developed by Ford - otherwise we can live that #NoReplacementForDisplacement life. 😎

Also equally sad is how engine swaps are illegal here; just imagine this thing in a Chevy Cruze 🤤 - if it can even fit in the engine bay and you don't blow up your transmission haha - you'll be doing front-wheel-drive burnouts or torque steering for days LOL! 😈

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

27 minutes ago, enzoalec92 said:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-crate-engine-zz632-1000-horsepower/

"GM's 1,000 hp 632 cubic-inch crate engine is its largest and most powerful ever

This monstrous motor clocks in at over 10.3 liters of displacement and makes more than 1,000 horsepower on pump gas without a turbo or nitrous.

image.thumb.png.3ab88d9ff0c62be9937109ea181ee6c6.png

This 1,004-horsepower monster is the biggest crate engine GM has ever offered.

They say that when it comes to making power and torque, there is no replacement for displacement. While that's slightly less true these days with super-efficient turbocharged engines and EVs, the folks at General Motors are holding fast to that ideology with their latest crate engine, the ZZ632/1000, which clocks in at a whopping 632 cubic inches of displacement and which was announced on Wednesday.

For those of you not accustomed to working in old money, that's 10.36 liters. For comparison's sake, the utterly massive Dodge Viper engine only weighed in at 8.4 liters and with two more cylinders. As its somewhat unwieldy name suggests, the 632-cubic-inch crate engine produces a whopping 1,004 naturally aspirated horsepower. It also makes 876 pound-feet of torque, and it does both on 93-octane pump gas.

Apart from its displacement, there are a few notable features that make the ZZ632 special. Chief among these are the aluminum RS-X symmetrical port cylinder heads, which, unlike many previous big block head designs, have identically sized intake and exhaust ports for each cylinder, which helps ensure that all the engine's eight cylinders produce the same power.

The ZZ632 shares its block architecture with GM's only slightly less elephantine ZZ572 crate engine but features a bore that's been increased by 0.040-inch. The engine's stroke has also been lengthened over the ZZ572's by 0.375-inch, which accounts for the bulk of the displacement increase. The engine also features forged steel connecting rods and crankshaft, which helps with engine longevity. GM claims that the ZZ632 withstood 200 simulated dragstrip passes without issue.

Unlike some of its other high-performance crate engine offerings, GM isn't placing a cap on ZZ632 production, and, in even better news for speed freaks, the engines will be kept in stock rather than being built to order. We don't have pricing yet for this monster of an engine, but we suspect it will land somewhere north of the approximately $16,300 that is being charged for the ZZ572."

I imagine the 1004 na hp and just can't rid the images of meeting a red light at almost all traffic junctions, yes, in Singapore. 

😂😂😂 What's the hurry? 

Yada-ing. 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Their big block V8 design can really tahan many many years. The engine block is basically the same design throughout the years since the 60s. 

Can tell from the pic it is now port or direct fuel injected with that fuel rail. Using individual solenoid ignition coil instead of the spark distributor for the spark plugs. But many of them still like to use the older design v8 with carburetors. Can be turbocharged or supercharged, the engine can be done in all sorts of tune.

They have a hot rodding car culture. They can do any mods they like. We have a guard dog system here. So LLST.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, PSP415 said:

I imagine the 1004 na hp and just can't rid the images of meeting a red light at almost all traffic junctions, yes, in Singapore. 

😂😂😂 What's the hurry? 

Yada-ing. 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

I imagine one can never tire of the thrills of 0.5s 0-50kph pulls from traffic lights hahaha. After all, the law only states you can't exceed the speed limit but it doesn't state how fast you can reach it! 😈

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Their big block V8 design can really tahan many many years. The engine block is basically the same design throughout the years since the 60s. 

Can tell from the pic it is now port or direct fuel injected with that fuel rail. Using individual solenoid ignition coil instead of the spark distributor for the spark plugs. But many of them still like to use the older design v8 with carburetors. Can be turbocharged or supercharged, the engine can be done in all sorts of tune.

They have a hot rodding car culture. They can do any mods they like. We have a guard dog system here. So LLST.

Yeah, it's amazing what modern advancements in tech can do for these "antiquated" engines. Although a small block, one of my personal favourites is Ford's Windsor V8, with its modest introduction in the '62 Fairlane to eventually its use in legends such as the '67 GT40, '69 Boss 302 and AU Falcon in the oughts.

Personally, I still very much prefer the traditionalist approach of supercharging when it comes to forced induction on American V8s, but to each their own. Twin-turbo "Catfish" Camaros putting down 8s quarter miles are cool though.

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

look like diesel engine is here to stay with us.

just 1 year ago. bosch and Weichai break the 50% thermal efficiency  for diesel in china. 

Yeah, diesel engines definitely aren't going away anytime soon for industrial applications, especially when corporations don't have time to muck about waiting for batteries to recharge lol.

Edited by enzoalec92
Missed out remark
  • Praise 3

22 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

nice engine. got harmonic dampers as original liao. less one part to mod. hahahahah.

Just looking at it already makes me "damp" lol 🤤

I would like to post something on American talk, as there is this exotic American car up for sale on sgcarmart. It is already registered ready to drive on the streets of Singapore. However I would like to open my own discussion. Does anyone know how? This will be my first discussion.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:31 AM, Masen24nas said:

I would like to post something on American talk, as there is this exotic American car up for sale on sgcarmart. It is already registered ready to drive on the streets of Singapore. However I would like to open my own discussion. Does anyone know how? This will be my first discussion.

I'm not sure, but I think you've gotta build up enough reputation through replies on other threads before you can do so.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:10 PM, serenade said:

I do not see OHC gears so it probably is push-rod operated. 

Yeah, it makes sense they'd stick to what has always worked for them, but I guess we'll know for sure when this thing finally goes for sale or when it gets transplanted into an existing drag-prepped Camaro.

↡ Advertisement