Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set. What????

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

https://www.straitstimes.com/life/entertainment/alec-baldwin-fired-prop-gun-that-killed-woman-on-film-set-us-police

3300.jpg.c99a72cc01be652391dfcf9eeb3ed0c6.jpg

American actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a cinematographer and wounded the director on a film set in New Mexico, United States law enforcement officers said on Thursday (Oct 21).

The incident happened on the set of Rust in the southwestern United States state, where Baldwin is playing the lead in a 19th-century western. 

Halyna Hutchins and Joel Souza "were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin", the sheriff in Santa Fe said in a statement.

Hutchins, 42, was transported to hospital by helicopter but died of her wounds, while Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance and is receiving treatment.

No charges have been filed over the incident, which is being investigated, with witness interviews ongoing.

A spokesman from the production told The Hollywood Reporter the "accident" involved the misfire of a prop gun with blanks.

A sheriff's spokesman told the publication that the director was in "critical condition". The incident took place at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a production location near Santa Fe which is popular with Hollywood filmmakers.

Movie sets usually have stringent rules over the use of prop weapons, but accidents have happened.

Most famously, actor Brandon Lee, the son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee, died during filming of The Crow (1994) after being shot by a gun that was supposed to fire blanks.

Baldwin co-produces the film and stars as Harland Rust, an outlaw whose grandson is convicted of murder, and who goes on the run with him when the boy is sentenced to hang for the crime.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Sad 3

I saw The Crow in theatres. Was doing my NS at the time. The Brandon Lee incident lent real gravitas to the film and whole experience. 

• Praise 5

If the plot required the actor to point the gun (loaded with blank rounds) at a couple of individuals - is it still the fault of the actor for pulling the trigger? I know for a fact if I was the guy that yes - I am responsible but there were the people who loaded the gun, etc. etc. who contributed to this - I think that much more needs to go into the investigation but what do I know as a layperson from the other side of the globe

25 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

If the plot required the actor to point the gun (loaded with blank rounds) at a couple of individuals - is it still the fault of the actor for pulling the trigger? I know for a fact if I was the guy that yes - I am responsible but there were the people who loaded the gun, etc. etc. who contributed to this - I think that much more needs to go into the investigation but what do I know as a layperson from the other side of the globe

Never trust anyone loading a gun on your behalf..... It could also blow up in your hand.

• Praise 4

8 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Never trust anyone loading a gun on your behalf..... It could also blow up in your hand.

If I'm am actor... id insist to pasar malam the blank ammo before it's loaded into a weapon I'm required to fire. But then not all actors are technically proficient beyond just point and pull trigger.. and small actors may just get sacked for being "difficult".

This also could bring in the legal responsibilities issues.. 

Is the actor a licensed firearm qualified officer to inspect arms?

exactly who had/has legal control of the weapon till the point the actor fires?

Tonnes of fruitful, profitable work for the lawyers. 

5 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Actually i dun understand what it mean by prop gun? 

Cannot be they bring life round to the shooting of the movies?

Prop guns are specially made and not the usual "live" guns. 

It's cheaper to fire blanks in a "live" gun than procure specially made props.

Same as SAF just put blank attachment and issue blanks instead of buying separate rifles just for blanks training.  

• Praise 4

1 minute ago, Playtime said:

Prop guns are specially made and not the usual "live" guns. 

It's cheaper to fire blanks in a "live" gun than procure specially made props.

Same as SAF just put blank attachment and issue blanks instead of buying separate rifles just for blanks training.  

Oh ya. We dun see blanks attachments on movies.. 

Damn sad case. I like baldwin alot. Damn sad for the lady also. Still so young...

7 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Oh ya. We dun see blanks attachments on movies.. 

Damn sad case. I like baldwin alot. Damn sad for the lady also. Still so young...

Speaking of it.

We all know the number of dry runs we do using blanks before live firing exercise. Especially night shoot. 

Real life experience. 

Just before night live run start. final inspection.. one fella kenna found never remove blank attachment. 🙈🙉... could've been a tragedy..

• Praise 2

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/prop-gun-alec-baldwin-accidental-movie-set-shooting-had-live-rounds-police-2263436

SANTA FE, New Mexico: Alec Baldwin was handed what was described as a safe "cold gun" on the set of his movie Rust, but the prop gun contained live rounds when it was fired, according to details of the police investigation into the fatal shooting released on Friday (Oct 22).

The shot hit cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in the chest, and director Joel Souza who was behind her, in the shoulder, according to a county sheriff's affidavit filed in Santa Fe magistrates court.

Hutchins died of her wounds and Souza was injured but has since been released from a local hospital.

The assistant director who handed Baldwin the prop gun did not know it contained live rounds, the affidavit by Santa Fe Sheriff's Department Detective Joel Cano said.

Production on the movie was immediately shut down. The sheriff's department said no charges had been filed and the investigation remained open. Baldwin voluntarily gave a statement about the shooting, the sheriff's department said.

The affidavit was filed on Friday in support of a search warrant for "old Western style clothing" worn by Baldwin that appeared to have blood stains, along with firearms, documentation, ammunition and cameras from the scene.

The search warrant was approved by a Santa Fe judge.

Cano said the incident took place at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, south of Santa Fe, during a rehearsal and it was not clear whether it had been filmed.

He said the prop gun was one of three on a cart outside a building. One of them was taken by the assistant director on the movie who went inside and handed it to Baldwin.

"As the assistant director handed the gun to the actor Alec Baldwin, (he) yelled 'cold gun', indicating the prop gun did not have any live rounds," the affidavit said.

Source: Reuters/aj

• Praise 2

The actors and directors are not military so they dont have SOPs like we do in NS.

I have saw "behind the scenes" of war movies. One fellow, what we called the the armourer in NS, will be in charge of all the weapons and ammunitions. I only saw one guy throughout. So that could be the problem. There is no second person to check what kinda rounds are in the weapons.

I think what they do is the need for more ppl to double and triple check. Our NS way is also the same. They director and crews who are near the firearm should also wear Kevlar vest as a precaution.  Anyway the actor could have fire the first shot on the ground to make sure it wasnt live. Imo actors should go for fire arm training before the shot and learn to double check the rounds.