Angela Merkel stepping down

Fcw75

She’s stepping down as chancellor of Germany after 16 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/22/monument-eu-leaders-hail-angela-merkel-final-summit

A true leader.

In 16 years of power, Angela Merkel did not appoint any of her relatives to a state position.  Germany said goodbye to its leader, physicist and quantum chemist, who was not tempted by fashion or lights and did not buy real estate, cars, yachts and private jets.

They came out on their balconies and clapped for 6 minutes, a standing ovation across the country. She leaves and her loved ones claim no benefits.

For sixteen years, she never changed the style of her wardrobe. At a press conference, a journalist asked Merkel: ''We realize that you are wearing the same suit, don't you have another?» She replied: “I am a civil servant, not a model.”

In another press conference, they asked her: "Do You have a housemaid cleaning your house, preparing food, etc." Her response was: "No, I have no servants or need them. My husband and I do this work every day at home."

Then another journalist asked: "Who is doing the laundry, you or your husband?" Her response was: "I'm fixing the clothes and my husband is the one who runs the washing machine."

Ms. Merkel lives in a normal apartment like any other citizen. She lived in this apartment before being elected Chancellor of Germany. She did not leave it and she does not own a single villa, houses, pools, gardens.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

Much loved, well respected...she's a pillar, a vital link in EU. 

It's not gonna be the same when she's not there anymore. 

She deserves her peaceful and a blessed retirement.

ich wünsche Ihnen alles Gute 🤗

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Merkel is a very down to earth person.

Once on a trip to China, she insisted on queueing for breakfast just like the rest of the hotel guests. When it was her turn, she dropped a bun, picked it up, blew it and ate it later at the breakfast later. 

• Praise 6
  • Shocked 1

13 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Much loved, well respected...she's a pillar, a vital link in EU. 

It's not gonna be the same when she's not there anymore. 

She deserves her peaceful and a blessed retirement.

ich wünsche Ihnen alles Gute 🤗

Wouldn't bet high on that. 

Many in eu.. even in Germany.. blame her for opening the refuge mess that had become the new normal. And they have good justification. 

That EU is and will pay the price for decades to come is clear. Highly doubt future historians will be too nostalgic in their assessment of her. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

9 hours ago, happy_man said:

She learn to be humble long ago because of her East German root, arguably. In any case, many post-WW2 German chancellors tend to be very down to earth and pragmatist. Much of it, I suspect is because of Nazi legacy.

1970 - German Chancellor Willy Brandt kneeling in front of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising monument - imagine Japanese leader doing similar gesture at Nanjing or our WW2  memorial.

r0mhkay83o551.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Seeing that more Chinese citizens died at ccp hands than jap. And oppression continues. 

Imagine ccp leaders being held to the same standards first 🤣

1 hour ago, Playtime said:

Wouldn't bet high on that. 

Many in eu.. even in Germany.. blame her for opening the refuge mess that had become the new normal. And they have good justification. 

That EU is and will pay the price for decades to come is clear. Highly doubt future historians will be too nostalgic in their assessment of her. 

Must also read up on who's the snake that started it all...

EU has Merkel to thank for in decade if not decades to come with her effort in integration of migrates and mitigation of terror on European soil...hope other leaders in the European countries can see her very reasons behind and the ways she dealt with the opening of the border in 2015...initially I also subscribe to the notion that she's just an "employee" of the WH...

Oh well, let history be the judge...just like our mmtf on those tough decisions about how many to makan at makan places... 😁

• Praise 2

13 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Did anyone remember what she said over 10 years ago ?

'Multiculturalism utterly failed in Germany' - Merkel

Exactly...key word...integration...

All new citizens must learn rojak singlish...sudah makan? Jiak bah buay? 😁

12 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Exactly...key word...integration...

All new citizens must learn rojak singlish...sudah makan? Jiak bah buay? 😁

You know... Fifty center-s from the Motherland can be fast learners. 😁

• Haha! 2

(edited)

Actually what I want to point out is this:

In 16 years of power, Angela Merkel did not appoint any of her relatives to a state position. 

No cronies.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Actually what I want to point out is this:

In 16 years of power, Angela Merkel did not appoint any of her relatives to a state position. 

No cronies.

How about Trump ?

Family business ? [laugh]

• Haha! 2

5 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

How about Trump ?

Family business ? [laugh]

Trump is the other extreme man.

Go big or go home.

↡ Advertisement