Recommendation for portable speaker for phone conferencing

SGMCF328

With many zoom and team meetings going on nowadays, am looking to get a portable speaker for conferencing needs. I am currently using headphone and earbuds but it can get really uncomfortable after prolong usage.

I have little experience with such speakers (I do use my colleague Jabra Speak occasionally) so don't know where to begin with. Chanced upon the Harman Kardon Traveler and JBL Flip 4 over the weekend at Courts, both (at $149) allows wireless phone conferencing and playing of music for up to 12 hours I was told.

For the 2 I mentioned, I find the JBL have too much of bass which may not be good for conference but music sound nice overall. HK set seems clearer in comparison but lack slightly in music quality (sounds a little hollow).

Anyone has any experience with these 2 speakers, or other model to recommend? My budget is up to $200 but of course the cheaper the better. Not looking for hifi sound but something better than those sub $100 portable speaker. TIA. 😊

Edited by SGMCF328
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

35 minutes ago, SGMCF328 said:

With many zoom and team meetings going on nowadays, am looking to get a portable speaker for conferencing needs. I am currently using headphone and earbuds but it can get really uncomfortable after prolong usage.

I have little experience with such speakers (I do use my colleague Jabra Speak occasionally) so don't know where to begin with. Chanced upon the Harman Kardon Traveler and JBL Flip 4 over the weekend at Courts, both (at $149) allows wireless phone conferencing and playing of music for up to 12 hours I was told.

For the 2 I mentioned, I find the JBL have too much of bass which may not be good for conference but music sound nice overall. HK set seems clearer in comparison but lack slightly in music quality (sounds a little hollow).

Anyone has any experience with these 2 speakers, or other model to recommend? My budget is up to $200 but of course the cheaper the better. Not looking for hifi sound but something better than those sub $100 portable speaker. TIA. 😊

have used Yamaha over the last 6years. the big one which is yvc-300 is damn good. bought the smaller on YVC-200 and sounds a little less full. the yvc-300 or 330 now is probably overkill for you. i'm happy with the yvc-200

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, SGMCF328 said:

I know know, U really have my empathy OK!!!

I use this one :

https://shopee.sg/mosimosi-New-Desktop-Soundbar-XBS-88-10W-Full-Power-Sound-Bass-Bluetooth-5.0-i.27987240.6458913576

Best !! Good and Cheap !!

• Praise 1

I thought most phones' in-built speakers and mic and quite good nowadays and conference apps like Teams now have very good noise reduction too. My place is very near the paya lebar airport and keep hearing loud jets but other parties cannot hear the noise at all. I only use earbuds if i do not wish to disturb others around me or if it's confidential.

Other than to look professional, don't really see a need for external speakers, which to me adds another possibility of connection/signal loss.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

have used Yamaha over the last 6years. the big one which is yvc-300 is damn good. bought the smaller on YVC-200 and sounds a little less full. the yvc-300 or 330 now is probably overkill for you. i'm happy with the yvc-200

Thanks for sharing. But the YVC-200 is purely used for phone conferencing and not able to play music right? Function is very similar to Jabra Speak series. 

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Thanks for sharing. This one look quite good in term of voice performance (on paper) but also for phone conferencing only, cannot play music? 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Mustank said:

My colleague is using the lower end 510 model iirc. And this one price out of my budget lah, not to mention I am looking for one which can also be use for playing music / song. Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

Can checkout Creative range.

https://sg.creative.com/p/speakers

The iroar go seems quite good with built in woofer. Do you know if there is any store I check out the physical unit? Thanks. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Apple-Tree said:

I know know, U really have my empathy OK!!!

I use this one :

https://shopee.sg/mosimosi-New-Desktop-Soundbar-XBS-88-10W-Full-Power-Sound-Bass-Bluetooth-5.0-i.27987240.6458913576

Best !! Good and Cheap !!

This one cannot do conference call, I mean speaking through the speaker. 

1 hour ago, badlammy said:

I thought most phones' in-built speakers and mic and quite good nowadays and conference apps like Teams now have very good noise reduction too. My place is very near the paya lebar airport and keep hearing loud jets but other parties cannot hear the noise at all. I only use earbuds if i do not wish to disturb others around me or if it's confidential.

Other than to look professional, don't really see a need for external speakers, which to me adds another possibility of connection/signal loss.

The laptop issued by company has very poor speaker quality (soft even when I switch on volume to max) and mic pick up all sort of background noise. Thus most of the time I have to on earbuds or ear piece to hear amd speak better. 

With wireless earbuds, I can also move around (say going to kitchen to get a drink), so am thinking of getting a wireless speaker to enable me to talk when moving around. More of a need than want I would say. 

BTW, just found another 2 model while googling. 

B&O Beoplay P2 @$229

Harman Kardon Esquire Mini 2 @$250

Anyone tried them before?

• Praise 2

21 minutes ago, SGMCF328 said:

This one cannot do conference call, I mean speaking through the speaker. 

The laptop issued by company has very poor speaker quality (soft even when I switch on volume to max) and mic pick up all sort of background noise. Thus most of the time I have to on earbuds or ear piece to hear amd speak better. 

With wireless earbuds, I can also move around (say going to kitchen to get a drink), so am thinking of getting a wireless speaker to enable me to talk when moving around. More of a need than want I would say. 

BTW, just found another 2 model while googling. 

B&O Beoplay P2 @$229

Harman Kardon Esquire Mini 2 @$250

Anyone tried them before?

Then JBL 510 lor, my company standard issue.  I end up with the $10 sound bar because ...... I give it to my kid for LFH lor.

My ..... called a Workstation Notebook come with echo canceller from Doby ....... like very OK leh ..... ?

510 very OK one, LED will blink and u know the mic is muted when U TALK BAD about RI lor .....

43 minutes ago, SGMCF328 said:

Thanks for sharing. But the YVC-200 is purely used for phone conferencing and not able to play music right? Function is very similar to Jabra Speak series. 

Thanks for sharing. This one look quite good in term of voice performance (on paper) but also for phone conferencing only, cannot play music? 

if there is audio out then for sure can play music too. YVC200 is bluetooth or USB cable. never had any echo problems with the yamaha. excellent conference speakers.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, SGMCF328 said:

The iroar go seems quite good with built in woofer. Do you know if there is any store I check out the physical unit? Thanks. 

I do not think they have physical store. You will need to buy online or go to their retailers like Challenger, Best Denki, Harvey Norman, Courts or other computer accessories store.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
15 hours ago, SGMCF328 said:

https://shopee.sg/JABRA-Speak-410-Entry-level-portable-USB-conference-speakerphone-Local-Jarba-Online-Register-Warranty-i.68909495.3136332752?sp_atk=130fd089-93ba-4a8d-8a21-b53808c41126

Jabra Speak 410. It has Omni-directional microphone so it can pick up sound very nicely.

But then hor, if wfh, I will suggest you to consider a headphone. like that you won't disturb your family while you are working and when you are listening to music or movie, the sound production is better. One stone kill 2 bird.

• Praise 1

I have JBL Flip 4 which I think did not fit to my music sound liking and I give it to my daughter. I used to have my Bose Soundlink Mini 2 (hope I don't get it wrong) which I carry mostly around in my backpack. But I left it in China. Now I only have the Xiaomi smart speaker in my office. 

Xiaomi is not portable. But as it is full time in office, I don't mind cos it is cheap too. At home I got my B&Os which is over kill

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2